Question New PC Build question (Ryzen 7700x cooling)

Dec 15, 2022
I'm just starting out building a new computer with the new am5 chipset, 7700x in particular. A known thing about the chipset is they run pretty hot.

I'm unsure as to what to do for cooling the CPU. My 2 options were to go with the DeepCool AK500 or try an AIO for the 1st time, going with the Artic Liquid Freezer 240mm. If one is better than the other or neither of them works out and there's a better option, some input would be greatly appreciated.

I've also been looking at the CORSAIR H100i RGB PLATINUM AIO Liquid CPU Cooler 240mm

Im planning on using the corsair 275R case

Last edited:
The issue with 7000 CPU's is that they are intended to run at 95C under sustained loads. So even if you get a big cooler, you may find it just boosts higher and runs at the same temperature.

In terms of the coolers you mention I wouldn't expect there to be too much between them, they are all good coolers. I would expect the Artic Freezer to be the best performer though. Sacrilege but if you weren't comfortable with 90C+ temps eco mode is always an option.

Dec 15, 2022
The issue with 7000 CPU's is that they are intended to run at 95C under sustained loads. So even if you get a big cooler, you may find it just boosts higher and runs at the same temperature.

In terms of the coolers you mention I wouldn't expect there to be too much between them, they are all good coolers. I would expect the Artic Freezer to be the best performer though. Sacrilege but if you weren't comfortable with 90C+ temps eco mode is always an option.

ok, thank you

The key to good air cooling is to have a good case.
Corsair 275r comes in a variety of options, some better than others.
I might suggest the Lian li cases, in particular the Lancool216:
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/lian-li-lancool-216-review
The key is plenty of cool air intake to cool a cpu cooler as well as the graphics card.
The lian li comes with two 160mm front intakes.
Many others will have two 140mm intakes.
On coolers, a good twin tower cooler will do about as well as any 240 aio.
Look at the thermalright peerless:
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/thermalright-peerless-assassin-120-se