[SOLVED] New PC build silent/reliable

wondra2

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2014
I am looking to build a new PC that would be significantly more powerful than my current build (i5 4670k/SATA SSD/GTX1080), especially in multitasking and IO. I havent really hit the GPU limits just yet so I plan to use my current GTX 1080 while looking for a good deal on RTX 3070ti/80/80ti or even next gen release. It should also be as maintenance free as possible.

Priorities: Reliable (10y / 10hrs a day) > silent > power effecient on lower load
Purchase Date: can be this week (but can wait)
Budget Range: no hard limit but reasonable
System Usage: 60% software developement 40% gaming, mostly online games with occasional AAA rpg when it realeases (any upcoming Witchers?)
usage note: developement requires(I think) mix of building (spike multicore/hdd), running the output (unoptimized single core) plus a lot of servers/services/mocks on background. Addiotional IO options are always welcome (SD reader, wifi, RFID reader...)
what should be included: Box-only, whithout GPU (already have it)
Overclocking: Maybe
SLI or Crossfire: No
Monitor Resolution: 1440p/144Hz/gsync (would like to upgrade to ultrawide 1440p or 4k)
Parts Preferences: minor Intel preference (for older software compatibility)
Preferred Website(s) for Parts:
ALZA (english)
CZC (czech, most convenient)
MIRONET (czech, buggy search engine)
note: most of sites seem to miss components and some (like PSU) are sold out as well

Additional Comments:
  • Inverted case layout, minimalistic design
  • avoiding LCD displays and similar distracting "moving" parts on components, dont care about RGB
  • long term(~10y) reliability, because of that I think neither watercooling nor SLI is good idea
  • I might have to assemble the PC myself so noob-friendliness is also a thing. I tried sticking to single brand hoping it will be easier.
Build draft: + comments most parts (PSU/motherboard,RAM) I have no clue about:
Case: Be quiet! Silent Base 802, window, black
note(s): invertible, preferably silent
alza n/a czc MIRONET
CPU: Intel Core i9-11900K
note(s): most powerful Intel right now
alza czc MIRONET
Cooler: Be quiet! Dark Rock PRO 4
note(s): best quiet air I could find
alza czc MIRONET
Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z590-E GAMING WIFI
note(s): hoping higher end with good power delivery has higher reliability?
alza czc MIRONET
RAM: G.SKill TridentZ RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3600 CL16
note(s): 32 gb+ should be able to run VMs, other metrics no clue what to pick - it had big MHz, low CL number)
alza czc MIRONET
SSD: WD SSD Black SN850, M.2 - 2TB
note(s): any fast reliable SSD
alza czc MIRONET
PSU: Be quiet! Dark Power 12 Pro 850W
note(s): should suffice for rtx3080ti gpu, otherwise no clue here shopped by efficiency rating and picture
alza n/a czc n/a MIRONET
GPU: GTX 1080
note(s): already have it, later replaced with RTX3070ti/80/80ti or next gen
total 55 000 CZK/~2500 USD

What I feel could be improved:
  • more reliability, less noise, power efficiency on low load
  • lower price without (much)compromise on quality or performance (most likely motherboard or RAM)
  • single shop, so I could use their assemble PC service (CZC - free, Alza/Mironet 1000 CZK/~50 USD)

Last edited:
Reactions: Why_Me
Solution
The 11 gen i9 isn't a good buy. It has the same amount of cores and threads as the 11 gen i7's.

I'd do something like this. You can turn off the power limits in the bios and it will keep that cpu in turbo boost mode for much longer periods of time. It's a round a bout way of OC those locked intel cpu's. It gives you similar performance as the unlocked cpu's.

This board if you need wifi

https://www.mironet.cz/asus-tuf-gam...-4x-ddr4-pciex16-1x-25glan-wifi-atx+dp470695/

Or this board if you don't need wifi.

https://www.mironet.cz/asus-tuf-gaming-h570pro-h570-lga-1200-4x-ddr4-pciex16-1x-25glan-atx+dp470725/

With this cpu...
The 11 gen i9 isn't a good buy. It has the same amount of cores and threads as the 11 gen i7's.

I'd do something like this. You can turn off the power limits in the bios and it will keep that cpu in turbo boost mode for much longer periods of time. It's a round a bout way of OC those locked intel cpu's. It gives you similar performance as the unlocked cpu's.

This board if you need wifi

https://www.mironet.cz/asus-tuf-gam...-4x-ddr4-pciex16-1x-25glan-wifi-atx+dp470695/

Or this board if you don't need wifi.

https://www.mironet.cz/asus-tuf-gaming-h570pro-h570-lga-1200-4x-ddr4-pciex16-1x-25glan-atx+dp470725/

With this cpu.

https://www.mironet.cz/intel-core-i...-16mb-intel-xe-1200-rocket-lake-65w+dp477471/

And this RAM.

Last edited:
Solution

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
"more reliability, less noise, power efficiency on low load"
Is that(in red) for the programming part? Like, some things just run better on certain hardware?
I don't know programming, so that's why I'm asking, but for the power efficiency part, both the Intel and Nvidia options are inferior to the competitor's in that department.
Low load doesn't matter with today's modern hardware, because they all do that reasonably well.
Overclocking worsens power efficiency too, so that one should ideally be off the list.

EDIT: OH, I doubled back and saw this, Parts Preferences: minor Intel preference (for older software compatibility)
Never mind about the cpu then.

Can't blame you on this one. This is the most complex part of a PC build - gonna be a headache for most. There's more to it than just good and cool power delivery.
Easy to overspend on this part if you don't know what all you want out of one. Motherboards are about their features, or list of:
-Does it have enough SATA/USB ports?
-Need WiFi/bluetooth?
-Need dual bios?
-Does it matter what the memory topology(daisy chain/T-topology) is? [For extreme memory OC]
-Does it have enough PCI slots for add-on devices?
-What M.2 devices are supported? [Some sockets can do multiple M.2. Others may be more limited to one M.2 and M.2 SATA. They aren't the same.]
-Does it have a Q-code display?
-How many fan headers does it have?
-Does it have RGB, or ARGB only headers? Does it sport both?
^Things like that, for example.

RAM: G.SKill TridentZ RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3600 CL16
"note(s): 32 gb+ should be able to run VMs, other metrics no clue what to pick - it had big MHz, low CL number)"
Intel-based systems aren't as picky about ram speed and timings like Ryzen ones, so I can say that you don't need to be too concerned with this.

It's a little more convenient to have the OS on a separate 250-500GB SSD from everything else, but you're probably already doing that with the current system.

Looks like it's pretty good, right at the very top: https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/psucultists-psu-tier-list-rev-14-8-12-07-2021.3624094/

That's my 2 cents. I'm sure others will have better ideas.

A very reasonable list.
You can build as is.
The one thing to change for reliability might be the ssd.
Samsung shows up faultless here:

I think the psu is sized properly at 850w:
http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm

wondra2

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2014
First, thank you for in-depth reply - I will try adress the questions below
"more reliability, less noise, power efficiency on low load"
Is that(in red) for the programming part? Like, some things just run better on certain hardware?
Great question, what I imagine under reliability is the ability to boot every morning without active maitenance/tuning, that is mostly hardware/driver stability, widely available support (avoiding exotic brands and models) and resiliance to abuse through unusual load types (BSOD due to driver misuse etc.) - it should not fry easily. Bonus points for not frying even to badly soldered USB devices but I am using an old laptop for testing that anyway. Data reliability is not important, it is expected from developement machine to crash every so often, so everything important is in a cloud backup.

Can't blame you on this one. This is the most complex part of a PC build - gonna be a headache for most. There's more to it than just good and cool power delivery.
Easy to overspend on this part if you don't know what all you want out of one. Motherboards are about their features, or list of:
I will try to answer to the questions, there might be a better choice here:
-Does it have enough SATA/USB ports?
2x MNVe SSD and 8-10 USB should be enough
-Need WiFi/bluetooth?
yes, not that I would use wifi connection, but might help through increased connectivity (IoT is popular nowadays)
-Need dual bios?
probably not, I d like to find a very safe overclock and stick with it
-Does it matter what the memory topology(daisy chain/T-topology) is? [For extreme memory OC]
does not matter, only light overclock if any
-Does it have enough PCI slots for add-on devices?
few free ones wont hurt, but PCI is not that important nowadays
-What M.2 devices are supported? [Some sockets can do multiple M.2. Others may be more limited to one M.2 and M.2 SATA. They aren't the same.]
the faster(?) NVMe x2
-Does it have a Q-code display?
probably dont need, no extreme overcloking here
-How many fan headers does it have?
should be able to run at least the 4 included, cant imagine needing more than 2 extra but not planning adding any right now
-Does it have RGB, or ARGB only headers? Does it sport both?
I will leave RGB on single color and dim, or off completely so no need for ARGB?

It's a little more convenient to have the OS on a separate 250-500GB SSD from everything else, but you're probably already doing that with the current system.
I am actually moving from this setup, a lot of software is unable to install/run from any drive but C:, my current 500GB is full without almost any user data. I will be moving towards virtual machines for convenience (can keep multiple versions/OSs without hassle)

wondra2

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2014
Incorporating feedback, this is current
(updated)Build draft:
Case:
Be quiet! Silent Base 802, window, black
Cooler: Be quiet! Dark Rock PRO 4
GPU: GTX 1080

Good point, the price point hardly justifies 1-2%(?) performance difference
->CPU: Intel Core i7-11700K
MIRONET
still not sure about motherboard, but this one has a lot of USB and according to reviews great VRM while being cheaper and is perhaps more popular model (=more support)?
->Motherboard: GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS PRO AX MIRONET
or perhaps
->Motherboard: ASUS TUF GAMING Z590-PLUS WIFI MIRONET
Intel-based systems aren't as picky about ram speed and timings like Ryzen ones, so I can say that you don't need to be too concerned with this.
if RAM has little effect, might as well grab the one suggested, again it seems great and more popular choice
->RAM: Crucial Ballistix 32GB (2x16GB) 3200 MHz CL16
MIRONET
Samsung shows up faultless here:
great, samsung seem to be on par with WD black in performance and good reliability while being cheaper
->SSD: WD SSD Black SN850, M.2 - 2TB
MIRONET

Reducing the total:
total 55 000 CZK -> 42500 CZK
total ~2500 USD -> ~2000 USD
Is the updated build in 0-3% performance range of the original? If so that is amazing result.

Last edited:
Reactions: Why_Me

TRENDING THREADS