Intel Core i5 4670K
EVGA Nvidia GeForce GTX 770
8 GB Corsair Vengeance Ram
PC Power & Cooling 750w PSU
MSI Z87 Motherboard
120 GB Intel Cherryville SSD
2TB Seagate HDD
Corsair H100i Liquid Cooler

It's built in a CoolerMaster Storm Scout 2 case if that matters.

My issue:

When it goes into sleep I can only wake it up by pressing the power button. I have the keyboard and mouse set with the ability to wake up the PC.

Also, when it wakes up via the power button it sort of "revs" 3 times...

it tries to power on 3 times then on the 4th it finally does, everytime. One time when I woke it up it gave me an error screen telling me it wasn't shut down properly so I started it in normal mode and everything seems fine.

I can probably take a video and upload it to youtube if nobody has experienced this before.

I can't find anything saying your PSU is having problems. A lot of PSU's can't handle the low drop on the +12v rail during it's sleep mode. Kind of sounds like it could be you, but the company is listing their PSUs as haswell compatible so...

What model number is it?

The following OCZ/PC Power & Cooling units use DC-to-DC conversion and are marked as "Haswell ready" by the company:
Mk III Silencer: PPCMK3S1200, PPCMK3S850, PPCMK3S750
Mk II Silencer: PPCMK2S950, PPCMK2S750, PPCMK2S650
Fatal1ty Gaming Series: OCZ-FTY1000W
ZX Series: OCZ-ZX1250W, OCZ-ZX1000W, OCZ-ZX850W
Z Series (EOL): OCZZ1000M, OCZZ85M

source: http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=1929443&mpage=1&print=true

Solution

SuperBaked

Honorable
Jun 24, 2013
I have the Mk III Silencer, Model # PPCMK3S750 that you have listed as compatible.

It's my first build ever, it's been running perfect except this one issue. I've turned off sleep mode completely. I'll either keep it running or shutdown while I'm at work.

I still can't figure out why the mouse and keyboard won't let me wake it up even though the setting is set for both of them to be able to.

SuperBaked

Honorable
Jun 24, 2013

Yeah, that's where I went to make sure the were allowed to wake up the PC.

SuperBaked

Honorable
Jun 24, 2013
So if my PC runs good is it nothing to be too worried about? Can I change settings in the BIOS? When I boot up I get an MSI loading screen first, I can press a button to enter BIOS. Anything in there that might need to be changed?

SuperBaked

Honorable
Jun 24, 2013
I can now get the PC to wake up. I went into the BIOS and turned on some sort of "Intel Quick Boot" option that is only available if you have an SSD. Not sure if that's what I needed to do or if it's just working as a work around and there is still an issue with my PC.

For now I guess it will work. Hopefully that will help anyone else. Next time I reboot I'll go into BIOS and get the actual name of the setting.

Feb 10, 2019
I have a new build with MSI B360M Mortar motherboard with has a similar problem. After a minute or two the pc goes to sleep and neither the USB mouse nor USB keyboard is able to wake it and I need to press the power button to power down and then reboot. All settings in Windows 10 for sleep mode are set to "Never". The first indication of this being defective was when I powered it up and got a message warning about the cpu fan. A technician checked the fan and said it was working to spec and eliminated the error message. I have to run a program called insomnia.exe to be able to use this computer. It's most frustrating. I believe this is a BIOS issue. HID compliant mouse and HID compliant keyboard are checked to allow this device to wake the computer. No USB devices in device manager are marked to allow the computer to turn off this device. Any idea? BIOS issue?