[SOLVED] New PC build, sometimes I have video

Virgil2U

Reputable
Jul 14, 2017
I just finished building a system. I have been building and working on computers since 1995, but this is the first time I have installed an Intel Manufactured motherboard. I do understand how different makes are way different so I am not totally sure if I have it connected properly. I did double and triple-check all connections by the manual. I first had a PCIe video card installed in it but I could get no video from it, not even bios. I removed it and then I cleared the CMOS and tried it again using only the onboard HDMI and again no video. I then started playing with the power button on the power supply turning it off and then on. I then within a few minutes finally got a BIOS screen. I was only able to get this twice by playing with the power button on the power supply. The system does start-up and the CPU fan does run so I know the motherboard is powered on. Also on this build, I did not use any standoffs as previously when I did the board sat so high up that the board would not line up properly into the I/O plate. Should I use the standoffs anyway and discard the I/O plate if the board does not line up for it? Any help anyone can give this old man would be greatly appreciated. Here are the specs for the system

Board: Intel DH87MC
Memory: 4 X 8 DDR3

Solution
Absolutley put that board up on headers, OR try it out of the case on a peice of cardboard. It probably is shorting out somewhere. I wouldn't recommend running a motherboard with no headers it could cause WAY worse things to happen. The header points are safe to be on metal. I would try that first and check it out. They do sell packs of headers on newegg if you need some. Let us know.
Oct 7, 2021
Absolutley put that board up on headers, OR try it out of the case on a peice of cardboard. It probably is shorting out somewhere. I wouldn't recommend running a motherboard with no headers it could cause WAY worse things to happen. The header points are safe to be on metal. I would try that first and check it out. They do sell packs of headers on newegg if you need some. Let us know.

Solution