[SOLVED] New PC Build - Stuck in BOOT LOOP - Please help!

Sep 22, 2020
Hi everyone! Might be a long post sorry.

I tried building my first PC this week and it’s turned into a nightmare. I’ve had a gaming laptop for years now and thought it was time for a PC:

Parts:

Gigabyte Aourus x570 Elite Wifi (Gen 3000 ready)
Ryzen 7 3700x
Trident Neo DDR4 32gb 3200
970 Samsung M.2 500gb
Corsair RM650x Gold PSU
Gigabyte 2070 Super Windforce OC
Phanteks p500a Eclipse + extra rear fan

Build part was successful - I streamed it live on twitch were I got lots of help from people. Booted fine and installed windows downloaded on the website on a formatted USB. (Grounded myself too many times to count)

Next day I installed things using ninite - discord, steam, I also downloaded a few drivers as per instructions (graphics card, audio drivers, ect (no update to bios) the only changes I did was make sure my ram was at 3200 speed (sorry my lingo isn’t good) I noticed my system restarted twice without notice. Once when I double clicked to open discord and the final one (which started the boot loop) when I downloaded dota 2 and tried to open it.
Since then I have not been able to get it out of the loop no matter what I do.

What my pc does:
It starts I can get into bios fine I can stay in bios however long I want. After bios sometimes it says starting auto repair, sometimes shows windows logo (when trying to boot windows through USB) then restarts again (non of my RGB on my case turns off even though I have disconnected everything) this boot will keep going to matter what I activate or dis active on bios.

Things I have tried:

Hardware:
Checked to make sure everything was plugged in property (front and back)
Checked for loose screws in build, that standoffs were placed properly.
Changed ram positions from 2&4 to 1&3
Tried to run on one ram stick
Completed memtest (no errors)
Moved m.2 to different slot
Removed m.2 all together to try to boot to USB
Took out GPU and put it back in
Removed battery on motherboard and put back
Unplugged all fans and RGB (except cpu fan)
Bought a new HDD and new USB to try to get new fresh windows
Did the cmos reset

BIOS:
Updated bios from original I think it was F11 to F20 and now F30
Tried to boot windows from USB
Tried to boot Linux from a different USB
Tried to boot gparted
Disabled xmp
Changed my boot order to make sure it was going to USB
Disabled my M.2 in bios (nothing)
Changed EUFI and Legacy settings
Checked data settings

no matter what I do in bios it never gets past either trying to commence auto repair or showing the windows logo for a second.

things that have been suggested but not tried:

Try testing out another GPU (I don’t have one since this is my first build) Currently in Melbourne stage 4 lockdown so I can’t get help from friends.
Try to reset CPU.

I am so stuck on what to do because all parts were purchased from amazon (except ram and case)

Tried to contact gigabyte they advised I need to contact the seller first

is it possible I just got a few bad parts?
should I just contact a pc repair guy?

ps. When I opened my GPU cd was out of its pocket wedges inside manual with scratches, could it be that the GPU I paid for (new) went to someone else first? Could this be the reason I’m having problems?

ANY help would be amazing!!!!

THANK YOU if you got this far

Solution
Hi ! Thanks for the comment. I am unable to get into safe mode :(

update! I got a new motherboard and installed my fresh HDD to try to get a fresh install of windows. Didn’t work.
Motherboard is flashing that my GPU isn’t working. So is it safe to say this is the part that’s broken?

I am going to try an older GPU on this build and my friend is going to take the new one and try it on his system.
Is there anything else you could think of ?

thanks for your time!
If you are unable to boot into safe mode yet you can access Bios then that indicates there is something wrong with the OS and not a particular piece of hardware that Post may have identified as the culprit.

Make sure the HDD you intend to instal the OS on is correctly...
If you can get into your Bios then POST cycle has been successful. Post will interrogate your Hardware and stop if an error is detected and you would have no access to Bios till the problem is fixed.

I think your Windows OS is the problem and it could be a driver issue. Try a system restore to the point prior to loading the recently installed programs.
Can I assume you used the Media creation tool from Microsoft and Windows is up to date.

Reactions: Dasnia
Sep 22, 2020
Thank you for your response.

When I installed windows I downloaded the tool from Microsoft and installed without internet. Once connected to internet I let the computer finish all updates.

I then installed some drivers from the gigabyte website as per the manual instructions. (Then installed programs and games :) )

I have attempted to wipe my current SSD with the windows bootable USB but it doesn’t let me past bios.
I even took out my SSD and tried with a fresh HDD and it wouldn’t even let me install windows.
I have reset default settings in bios a few times and even did the CMOS reset.

As soon as I save and exit bios. Something will load for a second and then it will restart again. Is there a piece that’s not working properly?

or is there something else I can try?

thank you so much for your time!

Last edited:
Thank you for your response.

When I installed windows I downloaded the tool from Microsoft and installed without internet. Once connected to internet I let the computer finish all updates.

I then installed some drivers from the gigabyte website as per the manual instructions. (Then installed programs and games :) )

I have attempted to wipe my current SSD with the windows bootable USB but it doesn’t let me past bios.
I even took out my SSD and tried with a fresh HDD and it wouldn’t even let me install windows.
I have reset default settings in bios a few times and even did the CMOS reset.

As soon as I save and exit bios. Something will load for a second and then it will restart again. Is there a piece that’s not working properly?

or is there something else I can try?

thank you so much for your time!
Well one thing that comes to mind is your RAM so let's check that out.
Please list your RAM P/N and what Timings and Voltage you have set in Bios.
Ensure your DIMMs are seated properly and pushed down well.

Also check your Windows system32 files. Open an elevated command Prompt and type in SFC /SCANNOW.
It will take about 15mins to check for any corruption and attempt a fix.

Go into your Control Panel>Device Manager and look for any yellow triangles that indicate a bad driver. If any are found then uninstall and update from the manufacturers web site.

You should check your storage device with CHKDSK just to eliminate that possibility.

Sep 22, 2020
Well one thing that comes to mind is your RAM so let's check that out.
Please list your RAM P/N and what Timings and Voltage you have set in Bios.
Ensure your DIMMs are seated properly and pushed down well.

Also check your Windows system32 files. Open an elevated command Prompt and type in SFC /SCANNOW.
It will take about 15mins to check for any corruption and attempt a fix.

Go into your Control Panel>Device Manager and look for any yellow triangles that indicate a bad driver. If any are found then uninstall and update from the manufacturers web site.

You should check your storage device with CHKDSK just to eliminate that possibility.

thank you!
I have checked out my ram already. What I’ve done is to move my ram to position 1&3 instead of 2&4, I have also tried booting on 1 ram stick. I have done the memtest program and that has advised me there’s nothing wrong with my ram.

when I first built the pc I changed in bios the speed from 2133 (I think) to 3200.

whilst trying to fix my computer I left my ram on the original speed and even disabled XMP to see if that would fix it. No luck :(

in regards to the widows file check, unfortunately the boot does not let me even log into windows. After bios it immediately turns off and restarts. :(

Sep 22, 2020
Can you try and Boot into Safe Mode? The usual function key during Post is F8 however yours could be different.
If Windows opens up then it's most likely a driver issue.

update! I got a new motherboard and installed my fresh HDD to try to get a fresh install of windows. Didn’t work.
Motherboard is flashing that my GPU isn’t working. So is it safe to say this is the part that’s broken?

I am going to try an older GPU on this build and my friend is going to take the new one and try it on his system.

thanks for your time!

thanks for your time!
If you are unable to boot into safe mode yet you can access Bios then that indicates there is something wrong with the OS and not a particular piece of hardware that Post may have identified as the culprit.

Make sure the HDD you intend to instal the OS on is correctly formatted and suitable as a EUFI installation.
I would have just one Storage drive connected and instal a fresh clean OS using the media creation tool. I cannot understand what went wrong with your previous attempt. Describe how you did it and just exactly what didn't work.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS