Question New PC Build WiFi NOT working

Haliax68

Prominent
Sep 8, 2022
Hey everyone, so I finally got my PC built and it looks amazing!!! Bench tested it, made sure everything was working, then tested the RGB fans and stuff, worked great. Then put it all together and started the long ardious setup process. And right away, there is a problem that I can not figure out for the life of me.

The WiFi is not working and/or not working consistently.

I've checked every single possible thing I can think of, read multiple troubleshoot help websites, and nothing is working. I updated Windows right away by running a crazy long ethernet cable from downstairs all the way up here to the office, just so I can download all the stuff I need. And obviously updated windows as well. Did all the motherboard drivers and it STILL does not work! I even unplugged and reset my cable modem and WiFi router, and STILL it will not connect, or if it does, it's very spotty and sometimes just turns off and I can't get it to connect again unless I run the Windows Network WiFi troubleshoot. And I've taken all my devices upstairs, to test out if the WiFi signal is too weak or something like that. And they ALL work. The laptops, the iPad, and the iPhone all connect to both 2.4 and 5.0 WiFi no problem and never get disconnected. So I know it's the new computer, not the router.

I see these antenna holes on the back of my motherboard (GIgabyte B550 Vision D-P), and wondering if I need to go buy some sort of antenna that allows the WiFi to connect much better and stay connected? Or does PC WiFi not work as well at picking up signals as Laptops, iPads and Iphones? And would I need some sort of WiFi extender for a desktop PC? Or is something wrong with the motherboard or software? This is driving me crazy and after trying everything I could think of, I decided I better ask more knowledgeable people for help.

Haliax68

Prominent
Sep 8, 2022
https://www.amazon.com/GIGABYTE-B550-D-P-Thunderbolt-Motherboard/dp/B083GTJQFB
question & answer said there is antennas came with the motherboard
giphy.gif

So I had NO idea all this other stuff was in the box! Jesus, feel so stupid. I just saw the motherboard in the anti-static wrapper and nothing else. Had no idea they were hiding all these other wires I don't need and the cool WiFi antenna under this secret cardboard compartment, hahaha.

So I hooked it up, and it definitely works better and most of the time now. But still.... it sometimes does not connect for some reason! And I always have to open the Network settings and run the trouble shoot button for it to "fix" the problem and hook up to the WiFi. Soooo weird. Before, it was like 8 out of 10 times, now it's only like 1 out of 20 times.

Any ideas why this happens? I NEVER have this problem on any of my Apple products anywhere in my house! Laptop, iPad, iPhone all work all the time and never have this issue of not connecting to the WiFi. Just my new PC build. Even after I installed the included WiFi antenna.

Wifi on a desktop machine tends to not be the best. There is a massive metal case and motherboard blocking the antenna many times. Just turning the case so the antenna face the router can help.

They make short cables that allow you to extend the antenna from the back of the case and place them on top or other location.

You also need to be sure you have a strong wifi signal in the first place. Do other devices work well in the same room as the computer. Unfortunately even if they do the exact location of the devices is not the same and it only take small variations to have large difference in wifi performance.

Generally for a desktop machine since you are not going to be carrying it around you should always try to find a wired technology. Ethernet being the best but stuff like MoCA works well if you coax cables near the router and the desktop. You can also consider powerline networks. They might be a bit slower than wifi (assuming you get wifi to work) but they tend to be much more stable...espeically if you are playing online games which most people on this forum do.