[SOLVED] New PC build without a graphics card

Eamonn100

Reputable
Oct 23, 2020
Hi,

I am getting a new PC built without a graphics card and I plan to use my current graphics card (Sapphire RX580) in when it arrives. When I receive my new built computer, can my graphics card just be incerted into the new PC and it will run normally?

I don't have the install CD, etc... just the card?

Thanks.

Solution
Most things like that aren't plug and play. Even if it would be safe to plug it in while it was on you'd still have to restart. My uncle fried 2 old graphics cards just this way. I don't know if the newer cards have any sort of protection built in for that but I still wouldn't wanna try it. I think you should at least watch a video on how to do this if you haven't already. You need to be sure the latch is down on the PCI express slot before attempting to insert the card and be sure to remove as many slot covers on the case as it takes first. You won't be able to install the card if you don't do those 2 things first.

David0ne86

Prominent
Mar 11, 2021
if the motherboard has a 16x pci e slot (which most likely will), you're gold. No need to have cds anymore, that's an archaic solution. Nowadays you download drivers from the internet. Also you need to make sure that whoever is assembling your pc is still connecting the 8 pin pci e cable so then you can attach them to the 580.

Eamonn100

Reputable
Oct 23, 2020
if the motherboard has a 16x pci e slot (which most likely will), you're gold. No need to have cds anymore, that's an archaic solution. Nowadays you download drivers from the internet. Also you need to make sure that whoever is assembling your pc is still connecting the 8 pin pci e cable so then you can attach them to the 580.
This is my Motherboard... ASUS ROG CROSSHAIR VIII HERO (WI-FI) X570.

Eamonn100

Reputable
Oct 23, 2020
When you power down and first install the card (if only Windows is installed)...it will run on a Windows driver (so you will be able to see the screen). Then.....install the proper driver from the manufacturer.
Yes, Windows 10 Home will be installed.

So just to confirm, I will turn on the PC for the first time, incert the graphics card and download the correct driver?

David0ne86

Prominent
Mar 11, 2021
No, you first insert the graphics card in the pci e slot (the one on the top, should be marked with a metallic layout) making sure the safe clicks in when you do so, plug in the 8 pin cable/cabless that hopefully whoever built your pc connected to the psu beforehand leaving them hanging from one of the case opening, turn your pc on, boot into windows and then you go here https://www.amd.com/en/support/graphics/radeon-500-series/radeon-rx-500-series/radeon-rx-580 to download the driver. Download it and install it. Screen will probably flickers a couple of times during the installation of the drivers, then ask you to reboot the pc. Do so, job done.

Eamonn100

Reputable
Oct 23, 2020
No, you first insert the graphics card in the pci e slot (the one on the top, should be marked with a metallic layout) making sure the safe clicks in when you do so, plug in the 8 pin cable/cabless that hopefully whoever built your pc connected to the psu beforehand leaving them hanging from one of the case opening, turn your pc on, boot into windows and then you go here https://www.amd.com/en/support/graphics/radeon-500-series/radeon-rx-500-series/radeon-rx-580 to download the driver. Download it and install it. Screen will probably flickers a couple of times during the installation of the drivers, then ask you to reboot the pc. Do so, job done.
Thanks for that... some people need it all spelt out for them, hehe.

How do I "Boot" into Windows?

"So just to confirm, I will turn on the PC for the first time, incert the graphics card and download the correct driver? "

No.....don't power on and insert anything.
Just to be clear....always power down before you start plugging and unplugging things.
Make sure PC is powered down before you remove or install a GPU or anything else.

Eamonn100

Reputable
Oct 23, 2020
"So just to confirm, I will turn on the PC for the first time, incert the graphics card and download the correct driver? "

No.....don't power on and insert anything.
Just to be clear....always power down before you start plugging and unplugging things.
Make sure PC is powered down before you remove or install a GPU or anything else.
(y) Thank God for forums.

Most things like that aren't plug and play. Even if it would be safe to plug it in while it was on you'd still have to restart. My uncle fried 2 old graphics cards just this way. I don't know if the newer cards have any sort of protection built in for that but I still wouldn't wanna try it. I think you should at least watch a video on how to do this if you haven't already. You need to be sure the latch is down on the PCI express slot before attempting to insert the card and be sure to remove as many slot covers on the case as it takes first. You won't be able to install the card if you don't do those 2 things first.

Reactions: Bassman999
Solution

jasonf2

Distinguished
The term you are looking for is Hot Swappable. Until you get to the server space nothing consumer grade in a computer is. Then you are only looking at stuff like redundant power supplies and specialized drives. If you just hammer a GPU home under power you will more than likely pop something and even if you don't bios isn't going to online it. Always shut the power down when doing hardware work, unplug the power supply and follow smart static electricity procedures.

Reactions: Bassman999

Eamonn100

Reputable
Oct 23, 2020
Thanks guys.

Just heard back from the sales person at the shop, they are saying this...

"Unfortunately, we are not able to install windows on your custom PC since it is missing a graphics card. Once you plug your existing graphics card from the old PC to the new one, you can install the OS by plugging USB - you just need to follow the step by step, Operating System installation may take up to an hour."

Is what they saying correct? Earlier here Jay said,...
When you power down and first install the card (if only Windows is installed)...it will run on a Windows driver (so you will be able to see the screen). Then.....install the proper driver from the manufacturer.

I can still use my Motherboard without Windows 10 to install Graphics card?

David0ne86

Prominent
Mar 11, 2021
Want my honest opinion? And mind you, im not trying to disrespectful here, just straight honest. Take the pc and your card to a shop and let them handle it asking them to install windows on your computer. Because now on top of that you'd have to install windows on your own (and i highly doubt you have or even know how to create a bootable usb to install windows), and to me you sound computer illiterate (again, not trying to be an a**hole). Im just trying to avoid further headaches to you.

Eamonn100

Reputable
Oct 23, 2020
Want my honest opinion? And mind you, im not trying to disrespectful here, just straight honest. Take the pc and your card to a shop and let them handle it asking them to install windows on your computer. Because now on top of that you'd have to install windows on your own (and i highly doubt you have or even know how to create a bootable usb to install windows), and to me you sound computer illiterate (again, not trying to be an a**hole). I'm just trying to avoid further headaches to you.

Never worry, I'm thick skinned, hehe.

I'm getting Windows 10 on a USB stick? Is that what you mean by "bootable usb".

David0ne86

Prominent
Mar 11, 2021
Yup. Ok then if you're getting it ready made it's not so bad. Pretty much install the graphic card into the slot with your PC power off (even the power cord disconnected from your PSU), connect the cables to it. Plug back in the power cord into the psu, turn on the switch on it, insert the USB with Windows on a USB port in your rig, turn on your PC. Then pretty much follow the instructions at the screen like the shop told ya.