New PC build won't boot with any sata devices plugged in.

jehyrr

Commendable
Feb 21, 2016
New PC build won't post or boot with any sata devices plugged in. Without sata devices computer boots up and reads all my components fine (gpu awaiting working os)

Mobo - Asus Maximus VIII hero
CPU - i7-6700k / corsair H110i GTX cooler
Ram - corsair vengence lpx ddr4 2x8 3000mhz
HDD - st200dm001 seagate
SSD - Samsung 850 evo
PSU - corsair RM850
Optical drive that worked from previous build
Msi Gtx 980 ti which I have kept out of the system until I can get to Windows :/

I have a Windows 7 disc and product key which I have since upgraded to win10 from. Will that pose a problem when I get this system to boot?

I don't have another pc. if I have to get an os on to usb stick is that something I could buy pre installed or do on a library computer?

On occasion I've gotten the computer to boot a few times with just the SSD hooked up but doesn't show anywhere in bios. I once had the ssd show up in the bios (I don't remember what setting I changed to get that far and I don't know what I did to lose it) but I couldn't get the bios to boot with the optical drive or HDD plugged in as well. New sata and power cables running to drives

Any and all help very much appreciated! My gaming rig kaput last month and now all these shiny parts are laughing and taunting me. I'm going crazy.

jehyrr

Commendable
Feb 21, 2016

Thanks for reply!

The setting the video says to change to m.2 and my bios only has the options x2 and x4 I tried both with ssd hooked up and it still won't boot. I tried it with optical and ssd hooked up, still nothing. Lights and fans just flicker. Does this mean my ssd is not compatible with my mobo? I picked my parts on pcpartpicker.com and it said otherwise.

ficler1977

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2013
WAs that SSD a new one? I got used one once and I was wondering for 7 days what am I doing wrong. SSD appeared to be recognizes by BIOS but was faulty(read only). Since I got another(brand new one) no problems after.

jehyrr

Commendable
Feb 21, 2016

Yes it was new, atleast that's what I was led to believe by amazon prime. The package was sealed and looked new. But I can't even see if the ssd is read only or not because system doesn't even boot with any hard drives or optical plugged to motherboard :{

jehyrr

Commendable
Feb 21, 2016

The computer won't boot with ssd, optical, or hdd. Wether they are alone, together or only two plugged in. No matter the combo the fans and lights just flicker with any sata plugged in. I have read the manual for storage on mobo many times and it seems that all the options require boot device or storage device to be plugged in to change. except the hot plug options which I have tried with no results. And the devices are powered each with their own power cable.

jehyrr

Commendable
Feb 21, 2016

Welp - After disabling the fast boot in bios and then booting with ssd hooked up the mobo, hissing, crackling and smoke then came from top right of mother board filling the whole chassi and then my room......then it continued to boot up. But guess what, it doesn't show the ssd anywhere in bios.

But hey great news! The pc boots up now with ssd hooked up. WTF??!?!? Sending my smoking mobo back to asus now I guess

Do you think this fryed the ssd as well?