new PC build

lampybc2

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2011
Hi all

Just about to order my new VR computer will all this go together? and am I missing anything??
I would like to have this running as fast as I can as there are whispers out of a new VR coming out around Christmas that will need some pretty serious power... I have another gaming computer with the exact same video card so when the new 1180 cards come out if I need to I can double up 1 computer

Corsair RM850x
Corsair Hydro Series H55 120mm Quiet Liquid CPU Cooler
Intel Core 7800x ------- EDIT
Gigabyte X299 AORUS Gaming 3 Pro LGA 2066 ATX
Samsung 970 EVO 500GB NVMe 1.3 M.2 --- Windows only
Samsung 970 EVO 2TB NVMe 1.3 M.2 --- Games
Gigabyte AORUS GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Waterforce Xtreme Edition 11GB
G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB (2x 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz Memory -------- EDIT
TGC Rack Mountable Server Chassis Case 4U 650mm Depth

Solution
I would go for a 240mm radiator like the H100i. Never hurts to have the extra cooling for that CPU.

The 8350 at stock wasn't bad power and thermal wise. Not as good as what Intel had but not horrible. It was when it was overclocked that it went insane. And yes the new CPU will kill that one but they do run a tad warm. Never hurts to have more cooling than needed if possible.

lampybc2

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2011

seeing this computer is 100% dedicated to VR I was under the impression video games only uses 4 cores

lampybc2

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2011

its a server case so its very shallow so none of the taller air coolers will fit is the problem I have plus there only $50, will look into the ram thanks

lampybc2

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2011

airflow should be really good its in a room which is constantly 23 degrees in a data rack with a dozen fans then the 4 that are in the PC as well and both GPU and CPU water cooled as well so I would imagine that would be ample... There is also 2RU either side of the PC to give it airflow around the case

So I have in my gaming rig at the moment with a 8700k maybe ill put that in this VR computer and replace it with the
Intel Core i9 7900X will that go with me (Gigabyte X299 AORUS Gaming 9 Motherboard) in my gaming rig?, as I use my gaming rig a LOT more than my VR thats mainly for drunken nights with friends for a laugh untill they improve the graphics in them HOPEFULLY at the end of this year

lampybc2

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2011

Ive already got 5 other intel computers so its easier to upgrade one and use the those parts on other computers so they stay fairly up to date... Too far in to swap now

lampybc2

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2011

I have another case here the same I have put a 240mm radiator in.

Do you think for VR I would need more than the H55 my old VR setup ran on a AMD bulldozer and CPU was running at 68% with a 1080 in it, I would imaging the i7 would eat it for breakfast, as I am no computer nerd I coule be wrong here so please correct me, if you have another recommendation I am happy to change it, honestly makes no difference to me it was just the first one I saw on the website so I clicked add to cart :)

I would go for a 240mm radiator like the H100i. Never hurts to have the extra cooling for that CPU.

The 8350 at stock wasn't bad power and thermal wise. Not as good as what Intel had but not horrible. It was when it was overclocked that it went insane. And yes the new CPU will kill that one but they do run a tad warm. Never hurts to have more cooling than needed if possible.

Solution