[SOLVED] New PC Build

Jun 21, 2020
Hello. I am running into a brick wall with this new PC Build for my son. The end result: When turning on the PSU the RAM lights up but nothing else turns on.

Components:
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-A320M-S2H Motherboard
Case: FSP ATX Mid Tower PC Computer Gaming Case with multiple RGB Fans (CMT510)
Video Card: XFX Radeon RX 580 GTS
RAM: 2x8 GB G. Skill Tridentz RGB DDR4 SDRAM 3200
Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Cooling: Deepcool Gammaxx 400 V2
SSD: Kingston 240GB A400 SATA 3 2.5
HHD: WD 1003FZeX SATA 1TB
PSU: Corsair GS600
Backup PSU: Logisys 550W

-I got all the cables plugged into motherboard: 24-pin Power Connector, 8-pin ATX 12V
-PCIe X16 slot is mounted with Video Card with 8-pin connector in GPU
-SATA cables and Serial ATA Power cables plugged into both SSD and HHD connecting to SATA3 0 and 0 slots
-CPU in Socket with arm fastened
-Deepcool fixed on processor and fan plugged CPU FAN
-RAM installed in both DDR4_2 and DDR4_1 DIM Slots
-2 front USB 3 plugged into USB 3.0
-Front Panel PW, PLED and HD lights installed in F_Panel
-F_Audio plugged in front Panel
-The back of the CMT 510 computer case does have a fan control system where the RGB fans connect and the Front Panel Reset Switch is connected to it as well. This small panel connects to the PSU via Molex cable.

After I installed everything I turn on the PSU and the only thing that lights up are the two sticks of RAM. I click the power button and nothing. I thought maybe the PSU was bad, so I tried the backup power supply to get the same result. I am not sure there is something wrong with the front panel connections, but I did match the PLED, HD, Power to the best that I can see. The only thing I found strange is that the Reset F_Panel connection is on the back of the case where the fans connect to, this is what connects to the Molex cable. I wouldn't think that 2 PSU would be broken. Motherboard...maybe an issue, but not readily sure. Nothing spins or hums, just the RAM lights glow. There are no error codes, there are no indications that show me otherwise what could be wrong. Any help would be greatly appreciated in an attempt to problem-solve this. Thank you all for your time.

Solution
If I was in your place, I would take everything out, but 1 stick of RAM and the GPU and try to boot with it only. If that works add the second stick of RAM, and if that works too add the storage, and soo on. go step by step.

Another way to do it is remove everything, put the Ryzen 2200G on with only 1 stick of RAM and see if it works (remember don't use the GPU, instead use the iGPU) andn plug the monitor on the correct port of the motherboard

ProgamerIV

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
Hi!

Did you update the BIOS on the motherboard?

If not, then that will be your issue. You need to update the BIOS on your motherboard to work with 3rd gen Ryzen CPUs, such as the R5 3600.

For that, unfortunately, you'll have to fit a 1st or 2nd gen Ryzen CPU (or any older CPU based on AM4) while you flash the new BIOS, or ask a PC repair shop to do it. It's a routine job for them, shouldn't charge much for it, and there's a good chance they have a CPU to do it with.

If you want to do it yourself, you can find the new BIOS here:
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-A320M-S2H-rev-1x/support#support-dl-bios

IF you have a BIOS older than F32, you have to download and flash F32 FIRST, and the newest F50 AFTER that.

3rd gen Ryzen support was added with BIOS version F40, as you can read in the changelog.

How to update the BIOS is in the manual for the motherboard (if you're not comfortable, have a shop do it, because a bad flash will brick the motherboard):

http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_ga-a320m-s2h_1001_v2_e.pdf

Reactions: RodroX
Jun 21, 2020
Hi!

Did you update the BIOS on the motherboard?

If not, then that will be your issue. You need to update the BIOS on your motherboard to work with 3rd gen Ryzen CPUs, such as the R5 3600.

For that, unfortunately, you'll have to fit a 1st or 2nd gen Ryzen CPU (or any older CPU based on AM4) while you flash the new BIOS, or ask a PC repair shop to do it. It's a routine job for them, shouldn't charge much for it.

If you want to do it yourself, you can find the new BIOS here:
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-A320M-S2H-rev-1x/support#support-dl-bios

IF you have a BIOS older than F32, you have to download and flash F32 FIRST, and the newest F50 AFTER that.

3rd gen Ryzen support was added with BIOS version F40, as you can read in the changelog.

How to update the BIOS is in the manual for the motherboard (if you're not comfortable, have a shop do it):

http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_ga-a320m-s2h_1001_v2_e.pdf
Thank you for getting back to me. I did not update the BIOS. I was under the impression it was already supportive of it since the box shows AMD RYZEN 3000 Desktop Ready. If this is the case, I believe I have a Ryzen 3 1st gen processor I can use to do it. Then, after I update the BIOS, would I then replace with the new Ryzen 5 3rd gen processor again? Thanks

ProgamerIV

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
Update: I have since used my Ryzen 3 2200 processor. Unfortunately, I get the same result. RBG comes on both RAM sticks and nothing else turns on :(

Well, that's a bummer.

In fact, it's possible (although not likely) that even the 2200G is in need of a BIOS update.

You see, the original BIOS this board came with when it launched (F1) didn't support even 2nd gen Ryzen, which is the 2200G.

It's got complete support for 2nd gen Ryzen (Pinnacle and Raven Ridge) with the 3rd BIOS version (F20).
Your 2200G is a Raven Ridge CPU, so you'd need BIOS version F10 or higher for it to work.

I'd suggest taking it to a PC shop or trying it with a 1st gen CPU.

I really can't think of any other issue, although of course I haven't looked at your system.
I don't think it's a PSU fault, that usually results in no power at all, and you tried 2 different units, so that's not very likely.

I thought it could be that the RAM is not compatible with your motherboard, but I've checked it and it is compatible, so that's ruled out as well.

IproZ1

Honorable
Jul 18, 2017
Motherboards that have Ryzen 3000 ready on the box apperantly come with the BIOS needed for it to work out of the box. Considering it didn't work with a 2nd gen ryzen, it might be a faulty board. Try taking it to a PC shop and see if they can do anything about it.

Reactions: RodroX
If I was in your place, I would take everything out, but 1 stick of RAM and the GPU and try to boot with it only. If that works add the second stick of RAM, and if that works too add the storage, and soo on. go step by step.

Another way to do it is remove everything, put the Ryzen 2200G on with only 1 stick of RAM and see if it works (remember don't use the GPU, instead use the iGPU) andn plug the monitor on the correct port of the motherboard

Solution

ProgamerIV

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
I've received another A320 board (it was an ASRock model) with the Ryzen 3000-ready sticker that had an old BIOS in the past, so that's not a sure guarantee in my book.
However, I would take this to a PC shop at this point, and if they say it's faulty, return it. Or do the troubleshooting as @RodroX said.