Hello everybody

I have decided to splash out on a new PC and looking at the following parts:

Be Quiet 500 Case
Asus Tuf Gaming X670E Motherboard
Ryzen 7800x3D
Be quiet pure power 12 (1000W)
2TB Crucial t700 PCI-5
2 x 4TB Samsung 990Pro PCI-4
4TB Samsung 870 SATA Because you can't have to much storage space)
64 GB (2 x 32GB) either Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000 or Trident Z5 Neo or Kingston Fury beast (depends which seller I use)
RTX4090 (MSI RTX 4090Suprim X or Gigabyte 4090Gaming OC or Asus RTX4090 Strix OC)
Be quiet Pure loop 2 240 AIO.

As for the AIO this is my first build using an AIO but I'm a little confused do you need the Rad fans connected using the Y cable or could I connect one to the CPU Fan and the other to the CPU (opt), also the Asus Motherboard has an AIO header. The manual for the Pure Loop 2 does not really explain where everything is connected.

Also are the pipes from the rad to the pump long enough to fit the rad on the front with the fans pushing from the front as the be quiet video for the pure base 500 shows rather have this configuration if possible as the case is in a cupboard/shelf under my desk

NVME drives with or without heatsinks?

On another note as an aging gamer nearly 58 what is this obsession with RGB lighting on everything if it's hidden under a desk

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Many thanks in advance
Trev

Gururu

Proper
Jan 4, 2024
Your system looks great. I accidentally bought some dimms with RGB, thought it was some spec. Can’t see them with my case closed… my mobo RGBs can be killed in the bios.

I am curious if they eat up any juice against performance or utility bill

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
As for the AIO this is my first build using an AIO but I'm a little confused do you need the Rad fans connected using the Y cable or could I connect one to the CPU Fan and the other to the CPU (opt), also the Asus Motherboard has an AIO header. The manual for the Pure Loop 2 does not really explain where everything is connected.
The Y cable can save you a header for another device. CPU_OPT runs slave to CPU_FAN; whatever percentage the former runs at is what the latter will do, so it's not ideal to plug different fans in those 2 headers - IF you were to have that idea.
The AIO header is a header preset to a 100% profile. That's the main difference compared to all the other headers. You can go into bios and set the other headers to do the same, if desired. I guess it's the AIO pump header for dummies? You know, like the book series?

The manual may not explain it too well because you have flexibility; it doesn't matter all that much. Most headers are hybrids, save for the relation between CPU_FAN and CPU_OPT.

Also are the pipes from the rad to the pump long enough to fit the rad on the front with the fans pushing from the front as the be quiet video for the pure base 500 shows rather have this configuration if possible as the case is in a cupboard/shelf under my desk
Look up pictures of the Pure Loop 2 units. Their pumps are in-line, on the hoses. It's not embedded in the radiator, nor the cpu block.
Also, solid/semi-solid panels are poor locations for AIO rad + fans to be installed against. Wouldn't be much better - maybe worse - than an air cooler.

NVME drives with or without heatsinks?
Gen 4 and higher must use heatsinks.
Motherboards with M.2 slots above the gpu aren't a good location, design-wise. Not much fresh air passes that way, and it gets warmed up by the gpu.

On another note as an aging gamer nearly 58 what is this obsession with RGB lighting on everything if it's hidden under a desk
I wish I could tell you... It's just what's 'in' right now.

Typically with a card as powerful as the RTX 4090 I'd suggest clean air from intake rather than pulling air through radiator into the case. It's better for the CPU to have the warmer air than it is GPU, especially in the case of the 7800X3D which doesn't use a lot of power.

Reactions: Lucky_SLS
Jan 6, 2024
Typically with a card as powerful as the RTX 4090 I'd suggest clean air from intake rather than pulling air through radiator into the case. It's better for the CPU to have the warmer air than it is GPU, especially in the case of the 7800X3D which doesn't use a lot of power.
I was thinking of putting the radiator inside the case and the fans in the other side to draw cool air from outside the case and push it through, I know s the air speed increase caused by the fans will cause the air temp going through the rad to decrease. As they did on the be quiet video for the pure base 500 case. not sure if 400mm pipes will allow the pipes to be at the bottom rather than the top

Jan 6, 2024
The Y cable can save you a header for another device. CPU_OPT runs slave to CPU_FAN; whatever percentage the former runs at is what the latter will do, so it's not ideal to plug different fans in those 2 headers - IF you were to have that idea.
The AIO header is a header preset to a 100% profile. That's the main difference compared to all the other headers. You can go into bios and set the other headers to do the same, if desired. I guess it's the AIO pump header for dummies? You know, like the book series?

The manual may not explain it too well because you have flexibility; it doesn't matter all that much. Most headers are hybrids, save for the relation between CPU_FAN and CPU_OPT.

Look up pictures of the Pure Loop 2 units. Their pumps are in-line, on the hoses. It's not embedded in the radiator, nor the cpu block.
Also, solid/semi-solid panels are poor locations for AIO rad + fans to be installed against. Wouldn't be much better - maybe worse - than an air cooler.

Gen 4 and higher must use heatsinks.
Motherboards with M.2 slots above the gpu aren't a good location, design-wise. Not much fresh air passes that way, and it gets warmed up by the gpu.

I wish I could tell you... It's just what's 'in' right now.
so if one of the rad fans was connected to the CPU fan and the other Rad fan was connected to the CPU Opt they would both run at the same speed negating the need for the Y cable!!

Didn't know that funny lump on the pipes was the pump thought it was in the cpu cooler block now makes a little more sense

The manual doesn't explain the connection of the pump or fans to the motherboard at all that i could see.
So the pump runs at 100% all the time didn't know that (but makes sense if you think of it as the opposite to a central heating system instead of heating cooling instead that pump runs 100% )

The base 500 has a solid panel at the front with an air intake all around. just wondering how having a rad on the top would help cool as the air being pushed through the rad is already warm and heat rises.

Looking ta the other X670 Motherboards most seem to have the M2 slots that would end up being covered by a GPU in some form or another.

As for the RGB lights I know they can be disabled (use them on my current one as temp indicators green good amber warning red turn it off if it hadn't shut down already but it's such a waste of good LED's to have them hidden in a case

Jan 6, 2024
Your system looks great. I accidentally bought some dimms with RGB, thought it was some spec. Can’t see them with my case closed… my mobo RGBs can be killed in the bios.

I am curious if they eat up any juice against performance or utility bill

Can't see them using that much they draw so little current compared to the rest of the system

I was thinking of putting the radiator inside the case and the fans in the other side to draw cool air from outside the case and push it through, I know s the air speed increase caused by the fans will cause the air temp going through the rad to decrease. As they did on the be quiet video for the pure base 500 case. not sure if 400mm pipes will allow the pipes to be at the bottom rather than the top
I have a similarly blocked off case and the way I have it setup is with one exhaust fan in the back, radiator in the top with the fans exhausting through it and two high static pressure/high airflow fans in the front to get as much clean air in as possible. While this isn't as good as getting a case that has good airflow it's about the best you can do with a mostly blocked off intake.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
so if one of the rad fans was connected to the CPU fan and the other Rad fan was connected to the CPU Opt they would both run at the same speed negating the need for the Y cable!!
Yes, or you could plug them into the Y cable and a case fan into CPU_OPT, IF you found the mobo was short on available headers.
You could even use the cable for other fans; it's not proprietary.

So the pump runs at 100% all the time didn't know that.
The pump will run at whatever the default/custom curve is for the header you plug it in to.
AIO_PUMP is 100% by default, but is customizable.
CPU_OPT follows CPU_FAN.
I think CPU_FAN and other system fan headers have generic low to high curves. You can customize 'em to whatever you're comfortable with in bios or through some 3rd party software.

The base 500 has a solid panel at the front with an air intake all around. just wondering how having a rad on the top would help cool as the air being pushed through the rad is already warm and heat rises.
Those vents at the front of the Pure Base 500 are not very large.
Fans naturally draw air in a conical form, not out at the sides like that.
When air has to turn, it loses strength. The greater the degree of the turn(s), the greater the loss.
The radiator is another source of air restriction.
=not much air is going to get in through the front.

While AIOs have more fluid in them than air coolers, there is only so much cooling that can be brute forced on the small amount of fluid inside an AIO. They still need air to function. AIOs let you choose where the heat exchange(rad) takes place, unlike air coolers, whose locations are fixed.
If the AIO is going to be choked for air, sometimes an air cooler is going to be the better option; they sit a little further away from solid panels, giving them more breathing room. The Pure Base 500 looks to be a negative pressure oriented case, where the air being exhausted is greater than what's coming in. Doesn't seem to be as good an idea to put a rad at the roof of this and weaken potential exhaust further. And if this is going to be on the floor/near the floor, it's going to draw in dust from all possible gaps.

Oops! Missed this one:
RTX4090 (MSI RTX 4090Suprim X or Gigabyte 4090Gaming OC or Asus RTX4090 Strix OC)
Strix is not fitting in there with a front rad; it's too long for that.
Pure Base 500: up to 369mm long cards
Pure Loop 2: 27mm long rad
New clearance = up to 342mm long cards
4090 Strix is 358mm
Gigabyte Gaming is 340mm
Suprim X is 336mm

Jan 6, 2024
Yes, or you could plug them into the Y cable and a case fan into CPU_OPT, IF you found the mobo was short on available headers.
You could even use the cable for other fans; it's not proprietary.

The pump will run at whatever the default/custom curve is for the header you plug it in to.
AIO_PUMP is 100% by default, but is customizable.
CPU_OPT follows CPU_FAN.
I think CPU_FAN and other system fan headers have generic low to high curves. You can customize 'em to whatever you're comfortable with in bios or through some 3rd party software.

Those vents at the front of the Pure Base 500 are not very large.
Fans naturally draw air in a conical form, not out at the sides like that.
When air has to turn, it loses strength. The greater the degree of the turn(s), the greater the loss.
The radiator is another source of air restriction.
=not much air is going to get in through the front.

While AIOs have more fluid in them than air coolers, there is only so much cooling that can be brute forced on the small amount of fluid inside an AIO. They still need air to function. AIOs let you choose where the heat exchange(rad) takes place, unlike air coolers, whose locations are fixed.
If the AIO is going to be choked for air, sometimes an air cooler is going to be the better option; they sit a little further away from solid panels, giving them more breathing room. The Pure Base 500 looks to be a negative pressure oriented case, where the air being exhausted is greater than what's coming in. Doesn't seem to be as good an idea to put a rad at the roof of this and weaken potential exhaust further. And if this is going to be on the floor/near the floor, it's going to draw in dust from all possible gaps.

Oops! Missed this one:

Strix is not fitting in there with a front rad; it's too long for that.
Pure Base 500: up to 369mm long cards
Pure Loop 2: 27mm long rad
New clearance = up to 342mm long cards
4090 Strix is 358mm
Gigabyte Gaming is 340mm
Suprim X is 336mm
Thanks for the help putting the rad at the front was just an option and I knew it would depend on the length of the card. Will probably look at the top or another case. going for that one as the max height I could get away with is 480mm with a little bit of fettling of my existing desk replacing a wooden cross member with a bracket I'll make at work.

An alternative is the Lian Li o11 dynamic most of the other cases have more RGB lights than Blackpool illuminations

Jan 6, 2024
Thanks for the help putting the rad at the front was just an option and I knew it would depend on the length of the card. Will probably look at the top or another case. going for that one as the max height I could get away with is 480mm with a little bit of fettling of my existing desk replacing a wooden cross member with a bracket I'll make at work.

An alternative is the Lian Li o11 dynamic most of the other cases have more RGB lights than Blackpool illuminations
Or maybe a corsair 4000 case

If other cases are an option I'd recommend looking at something that doesn't have a solid panel over intake. The O11 Dynamic Evo is good and has swappable front panel if you want to maximize airflow. I have a Corsair 5000D Airflow and have been pretty happy with it (CPU AIO mounted on the side). If you are good with just going air cooling the Fractal Design Torrent is fantastic. They also have the North which has a wood front for a fairly unique look (this case you could use the AIO). There are also other Be Quiet cases that don't have a solid front panel which would be good.

Jan 6, 2024
Does anybody have any experience with NZXT cases either the H5 elite or H5 flow, the big put off for me is the lightshow on the front of the elite. I know I can turn off disable it.

AIO RAD is definitely going to top of case now

Depends on whether or not you're keeping old systems around. Here's what I did when I built a new system: kept my old key on the new system, and then bought a cheap OEM key (these are locked to the system you use them on) to replace the key on my old system since I was keeping it as a spare.

Jan 6, 2024
Thanks will look into that, as I was considering formatting my old system, reinstalling everything and selling it

On another note the Asus Tuf Gaming X670E Motherboard comes with heatsinks for the NVMe drives so do i get NVMe drives without heatsinks or with and abandon the motherboard ones.

(it's amazing what you find if you actually download the manual and have a read)

Thanks will look into that, as I was considering formatting my old system, reinstalling everything and selling it
Getting a cheap OEM key would be good for this too if you wanted Windows installed when you sold it.
On another note the Asus Tuf Gaming X670E Motherboard comes with heatsinks for the NVMe drives so do i get NVMe drives without heatsinks or with and abandon the motherboard ones.
Generally speaking I'd just use the motherboard heatsinks unless there's a need for something more extensive. For most usage you shouldn't really need a high performance heatsink and if you find that you do nothing is stopping you from getting one later.

Jan 6, 2024
Getting a cheap OEM key would be good for this too if you wanted Windows installed when you sold it.

Generally speaking I'd just use the motherboard heatsinks unless there's a need for something more extensive. For most usage you shouldn't really need a high performance heatsink and if you find that you do nothing is stopping you from getting one later.
Thanks for that thought the mobo heatsinks would be OK but this is my first build for a while and things have come on since my previous build about 4 years ago which is lightyears in PC development.

Jan 6, 2024
I've finally made a decision on the new PC after looking at reviews and advice form all of you helpful people.

Case NZXT H5 Flow. (already got, would you suggest changing the two 120mm stock fans or leave)
7800X3D
Asus Tuf Gaming X670E
2TB Crucial T700 PCI-5
4TB Samsung 990 Pro PCI-4
4TB Samsung 870 EVO SATA 3 (Still undecided could always add later)
64GB Kingston Fury Beast or Corsair Vengeance (changed from G-Skill after looking at height of module worried about clearance)
MSI 4090 Suprim X
Pure power 12 1000W (considering Dark power 13 1000W £100 more expensive)
Be Quiet Pure loop 2 240mm (Maybe FX one)
2 x 140mm Case fans (Bequiet Lite wings or Coolermaster Mobius) Decided on ARGB on front fans

If anybody has any comments or suggestions please feel free to suggest alternatives

Thanks in advance

Jan 6, 2024
Thanks another thought any recommendations on a keyboard mouse although a gamer not often play FPS but do occasionally like a blast more of a RPG/Strategy gamer considering wireless also any good HOTAS for Elite dangerous/Mechwarrior 5 not flight sims