Question New PC Crashing

Feb 26, 2023
I just put my new PC together and it keeps randomly crashing when I play games. I've tested it on a few different games. I've been trying to figure it out all day and can't figure out how to diagnose the problem. I've downloaded all the Windows updates, and device manager doesn't show any issues. I downloaded all the drivers through the ASUS control panel that is said were out of date and I installed the control panel for the GPU and also got the most recent drivers from their website.

I don't think the GPU is overheating because it doesn't just happen when I'm playing a game, it also randomly happens when I start a game and the menu is still loading. I checked all the cables to the GPU again and reinserted the card and switches from a DP to HDMI since I found an article that said to try that.

I have no idea if this is a hardware or software issue and I'm not sure what to check next to figure out what the problem is.

The control panel says "CPU Package" is 38C.

I'm on Windows 11.

---
Motherboard:
ASUS Prime Z690-A LGA 1700(Intel 12th) ATX Motherboard (16+1 DrMOS,PCIe 5.0,DDR5,4X M.2, Intel 2.5 Gb LAN,USB 3.2 Gen 2 Front Panel Type-C,Thunderbolt™ 4,Aura Sync RGB Lighting)

CPU:
Intel Core i5-13600KF Desktop Processor 14 cores (6 P-cores + 8 E-cores) 24M Cache, up to 5.1 GHz

RAM:
Crucial RAM 32GB Kit (4x8GB) DDR5 4800MHz CL40 Desktop Memory CT2K8G48C40U5

GPU
GIGABYTE Gaming OC GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GDDR6 PCI Express 4.0 ATX Video Card GV-N306TGAMING OC-8GD REV 2.0 (LHR)

M.2 OS Storage:
TEAMGROUP MP34 2TB with DRAM SLC Cache 3D NAND TLC NVMe 1.3 PCIe Gen3x4 M.2 2280 Internal SSD (Read/Write Speed up to 3,500/2,900 MB/s) Compatible with Laptop & PC Desktop TM8FP4002T0C101

Secondary Storage:
TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z 2TB SLC Cache 3D NAND TLC 2.5 Inch SATA III Internal Solid State Drive SSD (R/W Speed up to 550/500 MB/s) T253TZ002T0C101

CPU Cooler:
Thermalright Frost Tower 120 CPU Air Cooler, 6 Heatpipes, CPU Cooler, Dual 120mm TL-C12B V2 PWM Fan, AGHP Generation 4 Technology, S-FDB Bearing, Support AMD AM4 AM5/Intel 1700/1150/1151/1200/2011

PSU:
Corsair RMX Series (2021), RM750x, 750 Watt, Gold, Fully Modular Power Supply

Feb 26, 2023
Update: So it crashes on every game I try. American Truck Simulator, Snow Runner, Witcher 3. It either just completely locks up or goes back to the desktop. I haven't had it crash at any other time except when playing games. No other Windows programs crash.

Update: So it crashes on every game I try. American Truck Simulator, Snow Runner, Witcher 3. It either just completely locks up or goes back to the desktop. I haven't had it crash at any other time except when playing games. No other Windows programs crash.
Put a copy of memtest86 on a flash stick.

Boot the flash stick and let it run......no errors allowed.

Reactions: kennethrjones.cs
Feb 26, 2023
I'll try that now. I also just noticed that when I went to YouTube and tried to play a video, the browser tab froze up. Only that tab. I tried a couple other tabs and same thing happened. I could hear the audio playing but the video was black.

Feb 26, 2023
So far the first stick is passing everything. 0 errors.

Why do people keep suggesting I return the entire set when I find the bad stick instead of just replacing the defective stick? If its all the exact same RAM why does it matter what box it came from?

Some manufacturing process that only lets RAM in the same box work together?

So far the first stick is passing everything. 0 errors.

Why do people keep suggesting I return the entire set when I find the bad stick instead of just replacing the defective stick? If its all the exact same RAM why does it matter what box it came from?

Some manufacturing process that only lets RAM in the same box work together?
Ram from the same set/kit come from the same batch so they should be very close in specs.

Ram from a different batch might not be quite the same and could cause issues.

TRENDING THREADS