[SOLVED] New PC download corrupted files 95% of the time. (NGL, i kinda want to cry)

No One Knows

Honorable
Mar 1, 2015
Hello people.
Today i'm kinda defeated as i tried everything in my knowledge in order to solve this problem, only to conclude that the MOBO is faulty.
Gonna to recapitulate:

8 days ago i finally get the last component for my new pc and i've started to put everything together:

MOBO: Z590 AORUS MASTER (rev 1)
CPU: 10900KF
RAM: Oloy (2x16gb) 3600mhz CL18
PSU: Rog Thor 1200W
GPU: Rog Strix 3090
Windows 10 Home installed in: SSD teamgroup elite EX2 (2tb)
2 HDD WD Black of 1tb each for only storage.

TL;DR version:
Installed windows. Noticed unstability (crashes on programs, Windows freezes)
Noticed that Steam games and movies downloaded from my new pc have files corrupted 95% of the time. CPU/GPU temps are fine.
Checked for PL with the integrated WIFI, and a different ISP with cable and not too much PL in the tests. But PL went hard everytime when i download (is intended?) things.
Tried boot with HDD (WIN 7). Worked fine (no more corrupt files). Then tried changing Sata cable and Sata port and the SSD was working fine now.
Then i went to check if the "faulty" port on were the first SSD was ok with a different SATA cable and connected again. From now on all ports cause again the corrupt files problem.
Is there is anything more to check? a bent pin on MOBO maybe? RMA?

Detailed version:

After installed everything, i power up the pc and it started to boot itself every few seconds. Kinda panicked, turned off everything from PSU on/off button.
Later to found out that may be the bios was arranging automatically the speed of the RAMs in order to adjust in a stable clock (2666mhz now).

After that, i've installed windows. Then installed all the drivers (helped by Driver Easy).
Then i've noticed after everything was updated that windows freeze randomly for 10/20scs at least 1 time for each boot.

Also some games installed from Steam got crashes (the ones downloaded with the new setup, the ones in the HDD storage were fine). So i got worried and made a lot of tests on the SSD and RAM. Everything was fine (and i made a lot of tests).
Then i thought "well, maybe if i update the bios will fix it". Tried the last version F5d, and the img was not recognized by the BIOS. Super strange but i thought maybe is an acumulative patch.
Tried the next version (F4) of the default (F3). Everything went ok but f5d was not recognized so i leave MOBO with ver. F4.

Freezes were less frecuent but they still there. Beside the random freezes everything was smooth and ok.
Then i've installed Metro Exodus Enhanced and played until Taiga. Then game crashed hard. It seems it was a problem of the game but when i went to validate the files with Steam a lot of files were corrupt.

Also noticed that any movies that i've download and then pass it to my cell they all have glitches (like pixelated scenes) at least for 5/10scs every 2/4min

I've started to think that my new SSD or WIFI were broken and every file that i've downloaded was corrupt. Indeed every downloaded file were corrupt. Updates, movie, game, anything.
Started to check for packetloss but pinging google for 200 rounds didn't have PL. Also tested a different ISP with cable and using my cell as an external modem and still have corrupted files (when downloading the PL was big, not sure if this is intended or should have only late packages)
I've then unplugged the SSD and booted with one of my HDD which have WIN 7 (yes, i didn't update anything, i let win 7 to figure out everything).

I tried to download a movie, passed to my cell and voila, everything ok. So i plugged my old Samsung EVO 850, installed a clean windows 10 on it and tried again. Movies and steam still DL corrupted.
Then i thought the sata port of the MOBO could be broken. Changed Sata cable and Sata port and voila x2. Everything ok.

Then i wanted to check if it was the cable and plugged again in the port with problems... and after that doesn't matter which SSD, HDD, Win 7, Win 10, everything have the corrupted file errors.
I don't know what to check anymore, maybe it is a bent pin on MOBO?

Right now i'm using the new PC and is all ok, but the problem happens when i download something.

Soooo.. RMA? (in my country this is a sentence of months without PC so im trying everything before to proceed with it)

Last edited:
Solution
the ram should be in slots 2 & 4 (from left) when in Dual channel (Page 17 - https://download.gigabyte.com/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_z590-aorus-master_1002_e.pdf)
If you only use 1 stick its likely slot 2 is used , it doesn't say but I suspect its similar to my Aorus X570 which at least shows its slot 2 in manual for 1 stick
SO using slot 3 and crashing is about par for the course. its only meant to be used if 2 sticks already in use.

So try slot 2 with 1 stick and see if it is any better?

Colif

Win 11 Master
How did you test the ram?
Try running memtest86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 4 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the BSOD. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors.
Memtest is created as a bootable USB so that you don’t need windows to run it

helped by Driver Easy
3rd party driver updaters can install the wrong drivers.
You could have used the Gigabyte App centre (its a program in the utilities area here - https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/Z590-AORUS-MASTER-rev-10/support#support-dl-utility)

it mostly does apps but also updates drivers.

F5d might be a beta version of the bios.

Last edited:

No One Knows

Honorable
Mar 1, 2015
How did you test the ram?

Hi Colif, thanks for your reply.
How did you test the ram? : used Windows Memory Diagnostic. All good.
Then used Memtest86 (2 laps - 2:30hs). 0 errors.

I tried removing the new ram sticks and put 1 of my old rams in the third slot only. For a moment worked perfectly but after a reboot again started to freeze and corrupt data.
Tried to make a clean windows install with my old RAM in case that windows was corrupted but the same problems arised: freezes, corrupted files on steam and corrupted movies.

I only used Driver easy on the first install of windows. I made then 6 fresh reinstalls of windows mixing my 2 SSD and only using the drivers of gigabyte(app center)/win 10 and the same problems happen all again.

In handsight, i was very lucky when updated bios because the file could be corrupted.

Checked for bent pins. From above all ok. Looking sideways, one pin have a "shadowy dot" but nothing conclusive.
I made a CPU intel test and passed also. So i concluded that the mobo (or who knows maybe the CPU?) is faulty and already removed and tomorrow i'll start the RMA process.

Now i made a frankestein PC using my old RAM+MOBO+CPU and the new SSD+PSU+GPU+CASE and everything is working perfect.
I'll try in some minutes to test the new RAM in this old MOBO but i know that won't cause any problem (only to limit the speed as MOBO don't support it)

:(

Colif

Win 11 Master
the ram should be in slots 2 & 4 (from left) when in Dual channel (Page 17 - https://download.gigabyte.com/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_z590-aorus-master_1002_e.pdf)
If you only use 1 stick its likely slot 2 is used , it doesn't say but I suspect its similar to my Aorus X570 which at least shows its slot 2 in manual for 1 stick
SO using slot 3 and crashing is about par for the course. its only meant to be used if 2 sticks already in use.

Solution

No One Knows

Honorable
Mar 1, 2015

I made the first install of sticks onto slots 2 & 4 as the manual read. Then i tried every single combination mixing also SSDs and with fresh intalls of windows installing only Steam, Opera, sometimes Firefox and sometimes only using IE (yes, i've waste a LOT of time lol)
That along trying other ram sticks (checked and proved ok), it seems that the ram slot on the mobo have a problem or maybe the cpu have a problem i guess.

The last thing that i've tried was to turn on BIOS the intel rapid storage tech. The pc directly didn't recognized any bootable device (BSOD). and couldn't enter to windows until i turn this option off.

D

Deleted member 14196

You used a utility to install drivers which is the wrong move because it is apparently put a bunch of the incorrect drivers on your system causing these problems. Do not ever use driver easy or any other stupid program that installs drivers because this is what you get

Your best bet is to format the PC and install windows clean then go to the manufacturers website and get the proper video and chipset drivers and that’s all you need

Also make sure your ram is put into the proper slots as noted above

If it doesn’t work properly after the initial install of windows without updating any drivers when you have a hardware problem

D

Deleted member 14196

I suggest a clean windows installed with no driver updates and test it and see if it fails. if it does then you probably have bad hardware

Colif

Win 11 Master

No One Knows

Honorable
Mar 1, 2015
You used a utility to install drivers which is the wrong move because it is apparently put a bunch of the incorrect drivers on your system causing these problems. Do not ever use driver easy or any other stupid program that installs drivers because this is what you get

As mentioned, only the first time used a helping program to install drivers (because noticed some unstability and i didn't know what to do anymore and tried it).
Then installed 6 more times fresh install of windows letting only that the app center / win 10 update automatically everything with no solution.

@No One Knows have you got a repair store you can see? its down to mb or CPU , and one can be tested but the only option with motherbaord is swap it out for another after testing everything else works

have you run Prime 95 to confirm its not CPU?

Yes, it seems is down between MOBO or CPU. Ram is discarded after trying other sticks and the problem remains.
I've used intel processor diagnostic tool and passed the test, but the problem is clearly at the moment the data travel between the CPU/MOBO to a drive.

As i don't have a MOBO that support the 10900KF, i went to return both MOBO and CPU to be in the clear.
The rest of the PC im now reaching 24hs of testing and everything is working perfect. :/