Question New PC failed to turn on. Worried PSU took out my computer. Please calm me down.

tokotigerjosh

Honorable
Nov 3, 2017
Last night I was playing Street Fighter 6 the whole night, then went to sleep and let my computer go into sleep mode (I usually leave it on, never turn it off as I'm using it all the time).

I saw it go to sleep as normal, but when I woke up this morning to turn on my PC, it wouldn't power on no matter what I did. I tried cycling, flipping the I/O switch, plugging directly into the wall outlet, and checking the power cable to make sure that wasn't the faulty bit. The cable is fine, but the PC wouldn't power on.

My PC is now in the shop for repairs and I'm worried because this was very unexpected. I have some important data on there and while I initially just thought it was a PSU failure but now I'm worried it might've taken the whole PC with it. This computer's fairly new, I just bought the parts in November and didn't assemble it until February.

This is the PSU I bought.

Since it's 80 Gold, if this thing fails that doesn't mean it would take out my data with it, would it?

Other specs:

Intel Core i5-12600K

ASUS Prime Z690-P D4

GIGABYTE Gaming OC GeForce RTX 3060 12GB GDDR6

Mushkin Enhanced Redline Stiletto 16GB (2 x 8GB)

I know I should've backed up my stuff, I know I'm an idiot, PLEASE do not rub that in. I had lots of difficulty finding a way to back it up and I was browsing my options but didn't commit to one and now I might've lost everything. I have a knot in my stomach over this, please give me some hope.

Last edited:

tokotigerjosh

Honorable
Nov 3, 2017
What I'm wondering is if it's likely that my data was wiped since the PSU failed while the computer was asleep. My data was kept on two SSDs and one 6TB HDD. ChatGPT says it's unlikely the data was lost unless the computer was performing write functions or was in use during the time of PSU failure.

That makes me feel a little better but still I'm just worried.

Myronazz

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2016
These are just my two cents but if the PSU died while your computer was in sleep mode, then its less likely that it killed anything because it didnt die in a showy way. No capacitors went off or anything. It just never powered on again. Its possible that some MOSFET died overnight and the PSU simply can't produce the power needed.

All motherboards have a "Power Good" rail on the ATX header that they check. If this rail doesn't go on high during a specified time window, the motherboard will not switch on the PSU.

Its also possible that its your motherboard that went, and not the PSU. Maybe something in it died and is shorting a voltage rail to ground. Your PSU will go on protection-mode in that case and refuse to power itself. Well, if its a good one that is!

In any case... since no fireworks were fired... I wouldn't be worried. For your SSDs to die you'd need a surge.

BTW, don't use ChatGPT for advice, it's terrible for that purpose.