[SOLVED] New PC has become ridiculously slow and choppy after brief stress test

mesi123

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2012
Hey guys, below are my specs for a new system that I built:
https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/nwyq29

So first couple of days, I had an M.2 there that was overheating into near 70 degrees bc it was located under the GPU. I removed it and installed windows onto the 120GB SSD. Ok so first couple days I got a few different BSODs while playing CSGO and I assumed it was just the M.2 overheating. Then I got another couple of them yesterday and did some research and they said it might be either RAM or driver related. All drivers are up to date now so maybe it is the RAM. I run a couple of stress tests with Memtest86 and below were the results:

https://imgur.com/a/VyGjYta

Now the computer has gone to being extremely slow and constantly freezes. Opening task manager with nothing else running freezes the computer for a solid few seconds and it shows CPU usage as like 50-70% with barely anything running. CSGO meanwhile is unplayable because the character wont even go in a straight line without mini freezes.

BIOS is updated, overclocking isnt enabled, running Windows 10 activated. I tried setting the ram to a different speed but it didnt help. And putting it back to 3200, it is still just as extremely slow and it feels like the processor is only one core or something. Temperatures all seem to be fine. What could be the cause ? This is irritating me to much that I dont know what to do. Thank you

Update 1: So After writing this on just one tab of chrome running and hardwareinfo in the background, I closed chrome and saw that HWinfo says at some point all 12 threads of the cpu were used more than 90% and a few cores at 100 ! This is ridiculous.

Solution
All major ram brands mid grade and above ram will work equally well on Intel and ryzen currently. There's nothing special needed anymore. You simply got a stick with something messed up, return them

mesi123

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2012
What memory situation do you mean? Is the ram incompatible? I could reinstall windows but all these problems just started happening after the BSODs and the stress test. All items were bought brand news

memtest should be reporting 0 errors
if u have any, it means your RAM is not stable
when u reset cmos, RAM should go to its default clock (2133/2400mhz) with jedec timings (kindaa slowpoke)
run memtest then
if u get no errors, RAM is healthy which means you XMP profile is not compatible with your mainboard and u cannot use it
install new windows to make sure your OS wasnt corrupted while you were using unstable RAM settings

oce u do that, see how performance will go
in case you want to overclock your ram, u cant use XMP profile, u will need to tinker with ram settings manually, just make sure harddrive is disconneccted during ram testing until u get it stable under overclock

mesi123

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2012
I have just noticed that taskbar icons don't show up and if I left click on taskbar or desktop, some parts of the menu just remain stuck on the desktop and won't go away, for example there's a tiny box there that says "Refresh". Starting to regret going AMD.

mesi123

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2012
I could replace the RAM but they could say "oh you should have bought the ryzen optimised version as the one you bought isn't on the QVL list" or something like that though I read online that it is just a marketing gimmick and the rams are just the same.

mesi123

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2012
I see. I read about the warranty and RMA and G. Skill says I am responsible for shipping and insuring the item. That would mean a little bit of shipping costs I guess.

Well now that I recall, when I first plugged in the Rams, both were lighting up but only one stick was working. I swapped the places and both seemed to work OK until I was gaming for a few hours and got a few different BSODs. They first said it was MEMORY MANAGEMENT issue and then later some driver fault etc. Thanks everyone

mesi123

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2012
I am using an Asus board and I've just read that DOCP is like the XMP equivalent that Asus uses for AMD chips. I do have DOCP in the Bios but I didn't want to deal with it. And as for the JEDEC, I don't know really, is that the auto speed that always goes at 2133?

mesi123

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2012
Well I'm not on the said M.2 anymore as I've gotten rid of it. So it's just a regular 120 GB ssd now doesn't get too hot. In the error codes I posted, it says "UEFI Firmware Error: Could not start CPU 7 and 9"