New PC has major display problems

boudewijnpopkema

Prominent
Jan 8, 2018
I just got a new pc, got it from a company that lets you pick parts for a gaming pc, and then they put it together for you, update the drivers and tested it. In their office it ran without problems while installing the OS.

Specs:
CPU: Ryzen 5 1600
GPU: EVGA GTX 1060 6GB
RAM: Crucial DDR4 2x4GB 2133 MHz
MB: MSI A320M Pro-VD/S
Main drive: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB
Second drive: Seagate Barracuda 1TB
PSU: Corsair VS450
Case: Sharkoon VG4-W Green

So I just hooked it all up, connected one HDMI monitor and one D-DVI monitor. All cables inside of the pc and outside of it seem to be functioning correctly, and the monitors also have power. However, when powering on the PC the LED's start working and it seems to all work fine, but I don't get any video output on the monitors. I have tried rebooting it and reconnecting the cables(1 monitor at a time also) and nothing seems to work.

Occassionally they will both display like normal and Windows will start and show my desktop, but after a minute or so both monitors stop displaying and my keyboard backlight also stops working, and the caps lock light does not respond anymore.

Sometimes the first startup (bios?) Screen shows on 1 monitor(always the DVI one) displaying the model of the graphics card and some other info, just like 1 sentence, to then turn black again after 2-4 seconds.

Again, everything seems to be connected correctly and the drivers have been updated by the company, but the pc is not functioning at the moment. I don't hear any sounds from the motherboard when booting. Also, when turning the PC off the power button does not always work, even after pressing it for more than 10 seconds. I have no clue why or how any of this is happening, my previous pc has had some pretty big problems too but I have been able to solve those but I'm really clueless here. I'm not able to contact the company at the moment as they are closed but if someone can tell me what's up that would be greatly appreciated, I was really looking forward to this day a lot but this is killing me.

EDIT 1: I have looked at the checklist for boot&display troubleshooting but couldn't find anything from there that would fix this or even be related...

Solution
Looks to me like BIOS corruption. If you get it to post or even start to, then the BIOS is the likely cause. I would suggest clearing (resetting) the BIOS allowing at least 10 minutes for it to reset, and see what happens... if it doesn't help, try Restoring the BIOS.

From having read so many times this type of issues happening on new builds, seems that corrupting the BIOS is rather likely when you (or the assembler) turns the PC on several times before finishing the build. I have caused it myself and a simple reset usually can solve it but if it doesn't the Restore should get it done. It's logical to assume this would have shown up sooner but it can keep working and later make itself evident. Anyway the symptoms you describe...
Looks to me like BIOS corruption. If you get it to post or even start to, then the BIOS is the likely cause. I would suggest clearing (resetting) the BIOS allowing at least 10 minutes for it to reset, and see what happens... if it doesn't help, try Restoring the BIOS.

From having read so many times this type of issues happening on new builds, seems that corrupting the BIOS is rather likely when you (or the assembler) turns the PC on several times before finishing the build. I have caused it myself and a simple reset usually can solve it but if it doesn't the Restore should get it done. It's logical to assume this would have shown up sooner but it can keep working and later make itself evident. Anyway the symptoms you describe indicate this as the cause.

Follow these steps, starting with a BIOS reset and if it doesn't help, follow with a BIOS Recovery.
While the case is open check all power and data connections to the motherboard and HDD.

Option A) Bios reset:
1. Remove AC power or turn off the PSU
2. Remove the battery
3. Move the BIOS jumper to pins 2 & 3
4. Press and hold the power button for 60 seconds
5. Wait 10 minutes
6. Revert 1 through 3 and try the computer

Option B) Bios recovery: (There are several Recovery methods but the actual procedure for the specific BIOS not being available, this procedure should work.
1. Remove AC power or turn off the PSU
2. Remove the battery
3. Remove the BIOS jumper (only difference from a reset)
4. Press and hold the power button for 60 seconds
5. Wait 10 minutes
6. Revert 1 through 3 and try the computer

Solution