Question New PC is automatically optimizing games ?

Braaxton

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2016
Hello!

I recently set up a new PCwith an AMD Radeon 6500 XT 4GB GDDR6 above and every time I launch certain games, it automatically maximizes all settings and I cannot get it to just launch with the last saved settings.
I tried turning everything off in AMD Adrenaline and still no luck. Is there another piece of software that might be forcing this change or a specific adrenaline setting I need to turn off?

Thank you in advance!

Colif

Win 11 Master
Are you getting a pop up in top right when loading games? that would be where adrenaline shows any settings currently active. You can remove that by going into settings/preferences/Turn off Toast Notifications
that just hides the menu, doesn't turn effects off.
Can set global settings and turn off Hyper RX if you want to.

if its not adrenalinet:

Try a clean boot and see if it changes anything - make sure to read instructions and make sure NOT to disable any microsoft services or windows won't load right - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

It doesn’t delete anything, it just stops non Microsoft programs running with start. Easy to reverse.

if clean boot fixes it, it shows its likely a startup program. You should, over a number of startups. restart the programs you stopped to isolate the one that is to blame.

Joseph_138

Distinguished
I think nVidia GeForce Experience allows you to save settings for your games, so it loads them automatically. I don't know if Adrenaline allows you to do that. I haven't used an AMD card with Windows in years, only MacOS. I would imagine it also allows you to save your settings, the same as GeForce Experience. Adrenaline is probably starting your games with maxed settings, and you have to go in and change them, if that's the case.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I think nVidia GeForce Experience allows you to save settings for your games, so it loads them automatically. I don't know if Adrenaline allows you to do that. I haven't used an AMD card with Windows in years, only MacOS. I would imagine it also allows you to save your settings, the same as GeForce Experience. Adrenaline is probably starting your games with maxed settings, and you have to go in and change them, if that's the case.
yeah it does, but you can set a global setting and assign it to all games.
DFJaRw0.jpeg

Adrenaline may choose for itself but you can over rule its choices on a game by game basis
2J9gor8.jpeg

Braaxton

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2016
Are you getting a pop up in top right when loading games? that would be where adrenaline shows any settings currently active. You can remove that by going into settings/preferences/Turn off Toast Notifications
that just hides the menu, doesn't turn effects off.
Can set global settings and turn off Hyper RX if you want to.

if its not adrenalinet:

Try a clean boot and see if it changes anything - make sure to read instructions and make sure NOT to disable any microsoft services or windows won't load right - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

It doesn’t delete anything, it just stops non Microsoft programs running with start. Easy to reverse.

if clean boot fixes it, it shows its likely a startup program. You should, over a number of startups. restart the programs you stopped to isolate the one that is to blame.
I get this pop up in the top right. the monitor also goes black when launching the impacted games but I think that might be due to it optimizing the fps to 60 on 240hz monitor.

Last edited by a moderator:

Colif

Win 11 Master
your image doesn't work here but I got it to work just by copying into google...
That is the Toast message I mentioned here
You can remove that by going into settings/preferences/Turn off Toast Notifications
You should be able to disable Anti lag in Gaming/Graphics menu
exclamation mark next to super resolution appears to be caused by resolution of game you playing
https://community.amd.com/t5/driver...-resolution-working/m-p/664006/highlight/true

Black screen could be changing refresh rate. Does it stay black or just flashes black?
Do you have latest adrenalin drivers?

Last edited:

Braaxton

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2016
your image doesn't work here but I got it to work just by copying into google...
That is the Toast message I mentioned here

You should be able to disable Anti lag in Gaming/Graphics menu
exclamation mark next to super resolution appears to be caused by resolution of game you playing
https://community.amd.com/t5/driver...-resolution-working/m-p/664006/highlight/true

Black screen could be changing refresh rate. Does it stay black or just flashes black?
Do you have latest adrenalin drivers?
I turned the anti lag off and the drivers are up to date. It just flashes black, i believe it is because of a refresh rate change. It is a 240hz monitor and it optimizes to 60hz and flashes at launch.

It is only doing this for Overwatch it is set to global settings with everything turned off. Starting to think its not adrenaline and am going to have to do the clean boot and narrow it down to another program..

Tried performance mode and went from 200fps to 30? Another odd thing to not is in the individual game settings in adrenaline it keeps reverting to my second display as the selected one, not the main 240hz display.

Also, do you have any recommendations on people to hire or guides to optimize everything properly? I am have no experience with AMD.

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
hard to search for a black screen on startup as all I get is results for people with no picture at all

Tried performance mode and went from 200fps to 30
where is that in?
Another odd thing to not is in the individual game settings in adrenaline it keeps reverting to my second display as the selected one, not the main 240hz display.

Some of your questions are most likely answered better on here: https://community.amd.com/t5/drivers-software/bd-p/drivers-and-software-discussions

might be guides on there as well. I haven't really bothered changing any settings on my card recently. I let drivers work it out.

some of these might help:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLVe-Ww7X_snE-Y2dhPBlC-IrQV10qYcwS

Braaxton

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2016
hard to search for a black screen on startup as all I get is results for people with no picture at all

where is that in?

Some of your questions are most likely answered better on here: https://community.amd.com/t5/drivers-software/bd-p/drivers-and-software-discussions

might be guides on there as well. I haven't really bothered changing any settings on my card recently. I let drivers work it out.

some of these might help:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLVe-Ww7X_snE-Y2dhPBlC-IrQV10qYcwS
Hi, sorry just now seeing this reply.

the issue is ongoing and i have had no luck with any solutions.

I've tried unplugging all other displays aside from the main and it still flashes black like its trying to adjust refresh rates.
Every game launch it resets Overwatch to 60hz and all system settings are set to 240hz. I have fresh installed adrenaline and it works for a while, then reverts to optimizing again over time. This needs to be redone every overwatch update and usually more often than that.

I have only had luck getting around this if I set the client to borderless windowed before closing and the full screen optimizations don't work on the next launch. I can then set the display to fullscreen with it open and no optimizations happen.

It seems like it has to be adrenaline, between the fullscreen optimization issues and reinstalls working for a period of time. I just cannot figure out what within the software has to be disabled to stop this. Feels like I've tried everything at this point.

It may also be worth noting that the pc does power off under heavy load. It may be unrelated I'm not sure.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS