Question New pc is constantly rebooting

Jun 28, 2024
Hello,

I'll start by sharing my specs so you know exactly which components are involved.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 7600X
CPU Cooler: Peerless Assassin 120 ARGB
MOBO: MSI MAG B650 TOMAHAWK WIFI (Bios version 1.J2)
GPU: Zotac RTX 4070 SUPER
SSD: Samsung SSD 990 Pro 2TB M.2
RAM: G.Skill F5-60000J3038F16G 2x16GB
PSU: Cooler Master MWE Gold 750 V2 Full Modular
OS: Microsoft Windows 11 Home (x64) Build 22631.3737 (23H2)

The issue is that my new PC constantly crashes when I do specific things, particularly when playing Diablo 4 and Warframe, it is especially bad with Diablo, rarely letting me play for more than 10-30 minutes. I haven't tested many other games, but it's worth noting it doesn't crash when idle or during casual use like YouTube.

Im not sure crashing is the right word either; rather, it seems to reboot without warning. Checking the Windows Event Viewer, the only error before the crash is a kernel power error with ID 41, indicating the unexpected reboot. There doesn't appear to be a consistent pattern of errors leading up to these reboots.

Here are the troubleshooting steps I've already taken:

1. Double-checked all connections.
  2. Reinstalled everything from games to Windows.
  3. Formatted drives and reinstalled everything.
  4. Enabled and disabled EXPO.
  5. Undervolted CPU.
  6. Tried various settings found in online threads from others with similar issues. (stuff like testing memory context restore and other BIOS settings, as well as adjusting in-game settings like disabling DLSS in Diablo)
  7. Stress-tested components individually and together using Prime95, 3DMark, Userbenchmark, Y-Cruncher, Memtest86, Cinebench R23, and Furmark. No errors occurred during stress tests, and temps all looked how they should
  8. Reseated all components and triple-checked connections.
  9. Tested GPU and PSU in my previous computer (used old cpu, mobo, and ram) without issues, leading me to suspect the problem may lie with the CPU, RAM, or motherboard.
  10. Initially used a different motherboard (Gigabyte B650 EAGLE AX, BIOS version F30), but returned it based on advice from other users. However, the issue persists even with the new motherboard (MSI MAG B650 TOMAHAWK WIFI, BIOS version 1.J2), so maybe the problem is with the RAM or CPU.
I hope I haven't missed anything, but I've been troubleshooting this for several days now, so I might have forgotten some smaller things.

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Hello,

I'll start by sharing my specs so you know exactly which components are involved.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 7600X
CPU Cooler: Peerless Assassin 120 ARGB
MOBO: MSI MAG B650 TOMAHAWK WIFI (Bios version 1.J2)
GPU: Zotac RTX 4070 SUPER
SSD: Samsung SSD 990 Pro 2TB M.2
RAM: G.Skill F5-60000J3038F16G 2x16GB
PSU: Cooler Master MWE Gold 750 V2 Full Modular
OS: Microsoft Windows 11 Home (x64) Build 22631.3737 (23H2)

The issue is that my new PC constantly crashes when I do specific things, particularly when playing Diablo 4 and Warframe, it is especially bad with Diablo, rarely letting me play for more than 10-30 minutes. I haven't tested many other games, but it's worth noting it doesn't crash when idle or during casual use like YouTube.

Im not sure crashing is the right word either; rather, it seems to reboot without warning. Checking the Windows Event Viewer, the only error before the crash is a kernel power error with ID 41, indicating the unexpected reboot. There doesn't appear to be a consistent pattern of errors leading up to these reboots.

Here are the troubleshooting steps I've already taken:

1. Double-checked all connections.
  2. Reinstalled everything from games to Windows.
  3. Formatted drives and reinstalled everything.
  4. Enabled and disabled EXPO.
  5. Undervolted CPU.
  6. Tried various settings found in online threads from others with similar issues. (stuff like testing memory context restore and other BIOS settings, as well as adjusting in-game settings like disabling DLSS in Diablo)
  7. Stress-tested components individually and together using Prime95, 3DMark, Userbenchmark, Y-Cruncher, Memtest86, Cinebench R23, and Furmark. No errors occurred during stress tests, and temps all looked how they should
  8. Reseated all components and triple-checked connections.
  9. Tested GPU and PSU in my previous computer (used old cpu, mobo, and ram) without issues, leading me to suspect the problem may lie with the CPU, RAM, or motherboard.
  10. Initially used a different motherboard (Gigabyte B650 EAGLE AX, BIOS version F30), but returned it based on advice from other users. However, the issue persists even with the new motherboard (MSI MAG B650 TOMAHAWK WIFI, BIOS version 1.J2), so maybe the problem is with the RAM or CPU.
I hope I haven't missed anything, but I've been troubleshooting this for several days now, so I might have forgotten some smaller things.

Thank you in advance for your assistance.
Remove the gpu and connect to the igp......test.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Are you using high res texture pack in D4? Seen this Reddit post regarding that and reboots. OP follows on throughout the thread and the reboots apparently has stopped after uninstalling it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/diablo4/s/P2auzXonvu

It was a year ago though, not sure if drivers or patches for D4 has since addressed that issue.

If say high res textures is the culprit, that's if you have it installed (and what about the other PC, does that also have high res textures?) then we might be able to try find out why.

Last edited:
Reactions: znabeland
Jun 28, 2024
Are you using high res texture pack in D4? Seen this Reddit post regarding that and reboots. OP follows on throughout the thread and the reboots apparently has stopped after uninstalling it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/diablo4/s/P2auzXonvu

It was a year ago though, not sure if drivers or patches for D4 has since addressed that issue.

If say high res textures is the culprit, that's if you have it installed (and what about the other PC, does that also have high res textures?) then we might be able to try find out why.
I ended up returning The cpu as it was still within the return period, and someone in another thread that might be the cause. If the problem still exists after getting a new one after I get a new one I’ll definitely try it tho thanks man.

Jun 28, 2024
It just makes the suspect list smaller........looking for clues.

True. Different motherboard / chipset, bios revisions etc. Doesn't hurt to try.
I ended up returning The cpu as it was still within the return period, and someone in another thread that might be the cause. If the problem still exists after getting a new one after I get a new one I’ll definitely try it tho thanks guys.

TRENDING THREADS