Question New PC keeps powering off randomly and restarts itself ?

bishopi5

Distinguished
Ok so i built a new PC and opened a thread a while back and the general consesus was my overclock "must" be unstable.

My build is

CPU: i9 10900K
MOBO: MSI z490 MAG tomahawk
SSD: 970 EVO 1TB NVME
COOLER: NOCTUA-D15
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PRO RGB 3200 16GB (8x8)
GPU: GIGABYTE XTREME GAMING GTX 1070
PSU: COOLERMASTER V650

Ok so this happens randomly, sometimes goes 3 days without doing it even when overclocked, sometimes does it 3 times a day, randomly while idling or gaming, just complete power off and restarts a couple seconds later
I was lead to believe maybe unstable overclock so i went to something extremely stable (5.0ghz @ 1.300v passes CInebench r20 and r23 and realbench and prime, remains under 90c in all programs, completely stabe at everything i throw at it, and once again today after a few days of nothing, its happened twice withint 3 hours.

I bought a UPS assuming it HAD to be my house wiring as its pretty old, same result, i really need help figuring this out the only thing that isn't brand new is the PSU and GPU (both about 3 years old) both in very good condition

My main question is, is there a way to see whats triggering this? inside windows? like event viewer with some 3rd part app, or what do i do from here, i know everything is built perfectly and will buy a PSU next but im 99% sure i'll have the same issues. I'm stumped.

Pls help, thankyou

Ralston18

Titan
Look in Reliability History for more error related information.

Reliability History is much more user friendly and provides a timeline format that can be quite revealing.

New build:

Power down, unplug, open the case.

Verify by sight and feel that all cards, connections, RAM, and jumpers are fully and firmly in place.

No one wants to force a connection in a new build so sometimes what "feels" connected is not connected. You may need to carefully unplug and re-plug (or unseat/re-seat) a few times to ensure that any given connectivity is truly in place.

If the problem continues, then use Task Manager and Resource Monitor (use both but only one or the other at a time) to observe system resources. You may discover some pattern or circumstances that lead to the PC "powering off". Actually may be a crash.

That all said the PSU (being 3 years old) is a likely suspect. It may be nearing (or even past) its' designed EOL (End of Life).

Especially if the PSU's history includes heavy gaming or video application use.

FYI:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-manually-test-a-power-supply-with-a-multimeter-2626158

Best Power Supplies of 2021 - Top PSUs for Gaming PCs | Tom's Hardware

bishopi5

Distinguished
Thanks for the answer it seems that AUDIODG.exe crashes right after the power down but not before hand, seems everytime i crash there is no events leading up to it

I have already re plugged and re checked everything, i will be rebuilding when i get this new power supply i was just sure that wasn't the culprit

Event viewer actually caught events leading up to the crash, like the exact second before hand, reliability history did not see it,
Its a warning "The driver \Driver\WudfRd failed to load for the device ROOT\WindowsHelloFaceSoftwareDriver\0000."
At the same time that it shuts down, i used driver verifier and i get a constand boot loop BSOD "gvcidrv64.sys" literally within 30 seconds of it starting, have i found the culprit? googling gvcidrv64.sys hasn't given me much in a way of direction to go

Last edited: