New PC- no output, no bios, one beep

Apr 4, 2018
I just got a used PC that I purchased in the mail today. When I hooked it up it booted like I would expect except there is no video output. No bios, nada.

I got a single beep on startup and the fans kicked in. I originally tried using the dvi output, with a vga adapter, on the gtx 980 ti. Then I tried the hdmi on it. Then I removed the GPU and tried the hdmi out on the motherboard. I also tried removing and swapping the ram. No luck still.

Now, for just a moment when I was powering the PC down, on one random time, the screen briefly showed a blue screen that said "powering down." Never again though. Or maybe I was just seeing things as I was going crazy...

Aside from contacting the seller, what should I try next?

Apr 4, 2018
Last night I pulled the battery for 30 seconds. Unplugged the power. Held the power button down. And then tried again with the same results.

I'll also add that I did take the hdmi cable that I have been testing with and plug it into my phone and it works right away. So the cable and input settings should be fine.

Here are the specs-

Asus Z170 Deluxe motherboard
Intel Core i7-6700K Skylake Quad Core
Samsung 850 Pro 2.5" 256gb SSD x 2 (512gb total capacity)
G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32gb (8gb x 4) DDR4 2133
ECGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6gb sc+ Gaming w/ACX 2.0+, Whisper Silent Cooling Graphics Card
Corsair AX860i 860W Platinum Certified PSU
ASUS Black 12x Blu-Ray Drive, Writes BD-R, BD-RE, DVD-RAM, DVD+R
Atech Flash PRO-77U Flash Reader (USB ports and memory card reader on front of PC Case)
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO CPU Cooler
Cooler Master HAF X - High Air Flow Full Tower Computer Case with USB 3.0

Apr 4, 2018
Ok, so I grabbed a displayport to hdmi adapter and now it is booting to the bios setup. That said, I havent been able to get windows to start up, which I've never had to deal with before...

Apr 4, 2018
Ok, so I think I've got it. There may be a bad hdmi on the motherboard, or never worked. Also, there may have been some misinformation. Then I could not get it to boot, but I'm wondering if it was totally wiped and had no OS to boot. I tossed in my old ssd and she fired right up.