[SOLVED] New PC No Signal/MSI Flashing DRAM & CPU

Aug 31, 2020
Hey all,

Bought a new PC for my son. We've build many but I'm stuck on this. When booting up, I can't get any signal to the monitor. On the motherboard, the DRAM and CPU lights alternate. I've removed the video card and tried swapping the ram between each ram slot and that has not worked. I tried reseating the CPU as well. Not sure what to try next and looking for any other ideas.

System:

GTX 1660 Super
Intel I5 9400F
CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB)
MSI MPG Z390 GAMING EDGE AC
Cooler Master Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition CPU Air Cooler
EVGA 550 B5, 80 Plus BRONZE 550W

Thanks!

EDIT:

Should note I made sure there were no bent pins anywhere as well.

Solution
So, have you checked to see if you can access the input options on the menu for the monitor itself? Sometimes you have to manually set the input type in the display's own settings.

Also, I assume you HAVE moved the HDMI cable to the output on the graphics card, and no longer have it connected to the motherboard HDMI output, yes?

You have the graphics card installed in the primary x16 PCIe slot which is the long slot closest to the CPU socket?

You have the EPS auxiliary power connections, either 4 pin, 4+4 pin or 4+4+4 pin, or in some cases, 2 x 4+4 pin, for the supplemental CPU power along the top edge of the motherboard connected in ADDITION to the 24 pin ATX power connector to the motherboard?

You should double, and then triple...
Well, you sure as heck aren't going to get any display with that CPU. It has no integrated graphics. All "F" Sku processors do not have any onboard graphics so you MUST use a graphics card with these processors and you must use the video output on the graphics card. You cannot, and will not, get any display by connecting the video cable to any of the outputs on the motherboard.

So reinstall the graphics card, make sure that any necessary auxiliary power connections (6 pin, 8 pin PCI/PEG) to the graphics card are plugged in and see if you have a display then. If not, try a hard reset of the BIOS as follows.

BIOS Hard Reset procedure

Power off the unit, switch the PSU off and unplug the PSU cord from either the wall or the power supply.

Remove the motherboard CMOS battery for five minutes. In some cases it may be necessary to remove the graphics card to access the CMOS battery.

During that five minutes, press the power button on the case, continuously, for 30 seconds. After the five minutes is up, reinstall the CMOS battery making sure to insert it with the correct side up just as it came out.

If you had to remove the graphics card you can now reinstall it, but remember to reconnect your power cables if there were any attached to it as well as your display cable.

Now, plug the power supply cable back in, switch the PSU back on and power up the system. It should display the POST screen and the options to enter CMOS/BIOS setup. Enter the bios setup program and reconfigure the boot settings for either the Windows boot manager or for legacy systems, the drive your OS is installed on if necessary.

Save settings and exit. If the system will POST and boot then you can move forward from there including going back into the bios and configuring any other custom settings you may need to configure such as Memory XMP, A-XMP or D.O.C.P profile settings, custom fan profile settings or other specific settings you may have previously had configured that were wiped out by resetting the CMOS.

In some cases it may be necessary when you go into the BIOS after a reset, to load the Optimal default or Default values and then save settings, to actually get the hardware tables to reset in the boot manager.

It is probably also worth mentioning that for anything that might require an attempt to DO a hard reset in the first place, IF the problem is related to a lack of video signal, it is a GOOD IDEA to try a different type of display as many systems will not work properly for some reason with displayport configurations. It is worth trying HDMI if you are having no display or lack of visual ability to enter the BIOS, or no signal messages.

Trying a different monitor as well, if possible, is also a good idea if there is a lack of display. It happens.

Aug 31, 2020
Thanks for your response. I guess I should have looked more into the processor to know that. I just got used to them having it.

I went through the steps for the bios reset and still not getting any display. Tried another monitor as well. I am running it through HDMI (my sons monitor doesn't have display port).

So, have you checked to see if you can access the input options on the menu for the monitor itself? Sometimes you have to manually set the input type in the display's own settings.

Also, I assume you HAVE moved the HDMI cable to the output on the graphics card, and no longer have it connected to the motherboard HDMI output, yes?

You have the graphics card installed in the primary x16 PCIe slot which is the long slot closest to the CPU socket?

You have the EPS auxiliary power connections, either 4 pin, 4+4 pin or 4+4+4 pin, or in some cases, 2 x 4+4 pin, for the supplemental CPU power along the top edge of the motherboard connected in ADDITION to the 24 pin ATX power connector to the motherboard?

You should double, and then triple check, everything listed here:

Probably also worth noting, even though I doubt it is the cause of your no POST problem, that that EVGA B5 power supply isn't really on par with the quality or performance demands of the rest of the system.

In a whisper, it's kind of crappy. If you can return it and get something better once you get it all going, that might be a really good idea to have.

Solution

Latest posts