Question New PC random freezes

nakedtons

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2009
I have newly assembled my PC. All parts are new except for the reused old GPU. Booted up and installed Windows without any issue. System is stable except for random freezes a few times a day. It happens often whenever I played a video or played a youtube video. I downloaded installed all the drivers from scratch as it is a new system so it shouldn't be a driver issue. I press ctrl+shift+escape to bring out the taskbar. However it will freeze too including cmd. The Aura effects RGB lights would also freeze. However, the mouse cursor can still move and the video will continue to have audio for a few seconds before it totally freezes. I pressed restart or shutdown but it will take forever until I am forced to press the power on/off button. Sometimes it will be able to wake up from sleep and I had to do a hard restart to get anything on the screen. Is it due to my old GPU card? Tried to reseat the GPU but still the same problem.

Last edited:
This looks like a hardware issue, so unless your GPU had that issue before the upgrade I wouldn't suspect it just yet. Could be memory settings or disk too. Take a look at S.M.A.R.T. data on your disks and if possible leave a resource monitor running to try and see how the metrics are on your memory, cpu and disk when the issue happens (stats like disk queue length and memory page faults/sec). You could also take a look at windows event viewer to see if there are errors right before the shutdown. Most often the event viewer info is less than helpful, but sometimes it gives you a hint.

nakedtons

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2009
This looks like a hardware issue, so unless your GPU had that issue before the upgrade I wouldn't suspect it just yet. Could be memory settings or disk too. Take a look at S.M.A.R.T. data on your disks and if possible leave a resource monitor running to try and see how the metrics are on your memory, cpu and disk when the issue happens (stats like disk queue length and memory page faults/sec). You could also take a look at windows event viewer to see if there are errors right before the shutdown. Most often the event viewer info is less than helpful, but sometimes it gives you a hint.
The only critical errors only show me doing a hard reset using the power button.

Yeah, unfortunatly Windows event viewer is not often very helpful, specially with hardware issues since it might not be able to write anything when the issue happens. Still worth a shot looking, though. You could try looking at the other stuff I mentioned. I know you were probably suspecting the VGA because the rest is new, but keep in mind brand new equipment has a higher failure rate than those used for a couple years (factory defects show early).

Another thing you could try is reverting to an 'easier' memory setting to see if it helps (using a standard JDEC mode instead o XMP profile)

nakedtons

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2009
Yeah, unfortunatly Windows event viewer is not often very helpful, specially with hardware issues since it might not be able to write anything when the issue happens. Still worth a shot looking, though. You could try looking at the other stuff I mentioned. I know you were probably suspecting the VGA because the rest is new, but keep in mind brand new equipment has a higher failure rate than those used for a couple years (factory defects show early).

Another thing you could try is reverting to an 'easier' memory setting to see if it helps (using a standard JDEC mode instead o XMP profile)
It is already in JDEC mode.