Question New PC Sometimes doesn't fully shutdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

EX-Dr4w

Honorable
Jun 18, 2016
Before I dig into the details, YES I have disabled "Fast startup" in the power-plan settings.
Now, I've recently build a new PC and I'm running Windows 10.
The issue is very weird and it's being very hard for me to troubleshoot as it's completely random, or almost completely. At least I can't reproduce the issue on my will.
Basically sometimes when I try to shut down the PC what happens is: Monitor goes off, mobo and fans RGBs go off while the fans keeps spinning and the GPU RGBs stays on and the PC doesn't fully shut off.
As I mentioned it's pretty random as if for example if I'm going to shut it off right now everything will work fine. The only common thing that I do before the issue appears is gaming for a while/few hours. But even then sometimes it shut off fine.
The PSU is fine as I wasn't experiencing this issue with another machine with the same GPU but rest of the system different.
PC specs are the following in case it can be helpful:Mobo:Z690 AORUS ELITE DDR4, CPU: i7 12700KF, RAM: 32GB (4x8 Single rank) 3600 Crucial ballistix (XMP is on), GPU: RX 6800XT, PSU: NZXT C850.
I have installed the latest BIOS available but the issue was present even with the one before.
I have also cleared CMOS and performed a clean install of Windows 10 again (21H2). Event viewer doesn't seem to show anything weird when the issue appears.
Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Reactions: KillerLex

EX-Dr4w

Honorable
Jun 18, 2016
When windows shuts down, it must signal other running apps to close.
If you have an app that does not respond, windows may wait a while.
Look to see whatever else is running.
How do I exactly look that? I doubt what's happening is a normal behavior.
First of all, since the issue started happening, I started to always check Task manager to see if there are running apps in the background and there is always none or at least none that can cause such an issue, especially considering I always close everything down before shutting the system off (Steam or any other game launcher or also any other application in the notification tray included).
Secondly I tried leaving the PC in the "non shut off" state for a while when it happened and it didn't shut off even after minutes.
Also, in my experience, Windows don't just shut everything down except for the fans and the GPU RGB waiting to shut an app down, instead it actually keeps the monitor active and tells you it's trying to close an app.
Maybe there's a way to check what's happening when the issue appears? I honestly have no idea. My biggest concern is that it's completely random and I have found no way to reproduce it on my will.

What might have changed since initially, all was good?
Perhaps there has been a shaky windows update?
Can you use system restore to reset back to then?

Non reproducible problems are the hardest to solve.

As a hunch, does your graphics driver have the ability to call home for updates?
If so, try turning that off.

EX-Dr4w

Honorable
Jun 18, 2016
What might have changed since initially, all was good?
Perhaps there has been a shaky windows update?
Can you use system restore to reset back to then?

Non reproducible problems are the hardest to solve.

As a hunch, does your graphics driver have the ability to call home for updates?
If so, try turning that off.
Since initially? Nothing because the PC has like a little more than 1 month of life and the issue started already after 15/20 days. Maybe I didn't use it enough at the start as I had no games installed or Idk.
Shaky windows update? Impossible, because as I said I performed a clean install of the system to exclude any driver, windows, or any software related issue, even tho I have clean installed windows already when I first built the PC.
Driver call home for updates? I'm not sure what you mean here, I have disabled any automatic driver update and install, both from the Radeon software and also blocked any driver update and install from Windows Update via group policy. Drivers cannot perform any download, update or install unless I specifically choose so.

Status
Not open for further replies.