new pc turned on ones now it doesn't show sign of power

Sofus_

Prominent
May 3, 2017
hi. i just built a new pc yesterday, i got it up and running installed windows and steam.i then turned off the computer to put in the gpu but when i clicked the start button there were no sign of power at all.

sorry for the bad grammar

specs

cpu: intel i3 7100

Gpu: xfx rx 480 4gb

Mobo: msi bazooka b250m

ram: kingston 2 stick off 4gb

psu: evga 650 GQ

Solution
Well, breadboarding is mostly used to rule out case shortening motherboard. Since your machine worked fine, we can assume it's not the case. But you will need to run minimal build to find what has failed. Leave only CPU, cooler, 1 stick of ram and PSU. Case cables only power switch. Disconnect all else. And do that with PSU off this time.

adiec

Honorable
like the above poster says . also could you take us through step by step exactly what you did from the point you shut down the computer to powering it back on. in other words did you remove the power lead from the back of the psu , turn the power switch off on the psu , touch the side of the case or wear a wrist strap. are there any lights/leds showing , fans spinning? did you remove any wires/cables/connectors before inserting the gpu and in a rush forget to reconnect them ?

And I guess no effect either?
It is quite possible that you managed to disconnect some cable when installing GPU. Did you check them out? Especially check 24 pin, 8 pin ATX and power switch cable.

Sofus_

Prominent
May 3, 2017

i just turned off the computer through windows not the switch behind the psu. i think i touched the side off the case but honestly dont remember, and there are no fans spinning or any lights at all. and i have checked for any cables not plugged in probably

Sofus_

Prominent
May 3, 2017

no man thanks for your reply but that doesn't seem to be the problem

adiec

Honorable

i'm thinking dead motherboard but let's not assume anything . have you had the power lead plugged into the back of the psu and touched the motherboard at all ?

That's not good. If you didn't switched PSU off, the power was still delivered to motherboard. There's a serious possibility you damaged motherboard when installing GPU that way.

adiec

Honorable

you wish to take the OP through breadboarding ?

Sofus_

Prominent
May 3, 2017

i have taken the graphics card out im just trying to start the rest of the pc now. and i have checked the 24 pin and the power switch cable

Sofus_

Prominent
May 3, 2017

yes i definitely have.
and that would really suck if i have to buy a new motherboard especially when i have just used money on the pc ):

adiec

Honorable

the best of the worst case scenarios is that the motherboard is fried and you only got the parts in the last few days and oyu can RMA the motherboard. the best case scenario is you forgot to plug in the 8pin cpu power or something of that nature. what motherboard and pc case do you have ?

Sofus_

Prominent
May 3, 2017

breadboarding when you take the pc out off the case to troubleshoot right??

Sofus_

Prominent
May 3, 2017

i have a msi b250 bazooka and a corsair 100r

adiec

Honorable

yeah but if there is not even a little green led lit up on the motherboard you would better to just RMA and hope they send you a replacement . just tell them it doesn't work.

you can breadboard it if you wish but do not touch anything when the psu is turned on and the power lead is connected to the back of the psu! turn off at the switch and remove the lead

Well, breadboarding is mostly used to rule out case shortening motherboard. Since your machine worked fine, we can assume it's not the case. But you will need to run minimal build to find what has failed. Leave only CPU, cooler, 1 stick of ram and PSU. Case cables only power switch. Disconnect all else. And do that with PSU off this time.

Solution

adiec

Honorable

he's going to have to remove the motherboard anyway imo. so it won't hurt to breadboard .

True. But I like doing things step by step, no need to rush it.

adiec

Honorable

oh i agree! just the information the OP has provided leads us to the inevitable it would seem but like i said earlier we mustn't assume.. so let's follow procedure :)

edit: note to self .. follow my own advice haha

Sofus_

Prominent
May 3, 2017

okay i will try to "breadboard" it is probably not gonna work but at least i will have learned my lesson for another time.
but another question if i buy a new motherboard do i have to buy a new windows license?