Question New pc using old hard drives

twinkie_mayne

Reputable
Feb 8, 2017
Just finished a new build. Went to boot up and in bios no drives were detected. Started in safe mode and the drives show up then.

Going from intel to amd. Is that what is causing my problem? will i need to reformat or windows repair my boot os? I have 2 other drives aside from my boot os. Do i need to reformat those as well and will i lose all my data?

please help. Been stuck like this for a couple hours now...

thanks a million in advance

Bobbrugge

Honorable
May 2, 2014
I would expect that is exactly your problem. As far as I know the two are different enough that most of the programming won't cross. I am sure someone else will chime in, probably soon.

USAFRet

Titan
You're trying to use the drive+OS from an old Intel in a new AMD?
Clean install is needed.

And do this with ONLY the one drive connected.

Clean install of the OS also means all the drivers and applications.

Reactions: Nemesia

twinkie_mayne

Reputable
Feb 8, 2017
You're trying to use the drive+OS from an old Intel in a new AMD?
Clean install is needed.

And do this with ONLY the one drive connected.

Clean install of the OS also means all the drivers and applications.

Im still in safe mode and moved all the files i wanted to keep on to a usb drive. I feel im just going to wipe everything clean and do a new install completely.

twinkie_mayne

Reputable
Feb 8, 2017
safe mode?
You're booting up from a known good Win 10 DVD or USB to install with?
Sorry it says my system is POSTed in safe mode. Then it shows my drivers. That only happens when i force shut down by holding the power button. The computer starts to booth and has me push f1 to continue then brings me to bios where i can select a drive? But if i shut down and start normally no drives show up. Im sorry if this makes no sense.....