[SOLVED] New PC won't post - First time builder

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

breh_soe

Distinguished
May 28, 2015
AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-core Processor
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 822.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
MSI B550-A Pro ATX AM4 Motherboard
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-2400 CL
Team T-Force Vulcan G 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive
SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 650W 80+ Fully Modular
ASUS GeForce RTX 2060 Overclocked 6G Dual Fan EVO Edition GDDR6
Tecware Nexus C ATX Mid Tower

Just put together my first PC, and no post. Just says no signal. Lights/Fans all come on and stay on. I did notice that the motherboard has 4 little lights that shine on one at a time, labelled EZ LED DEBUG, with lights for "CPU" "DRAM" "VGA" and "BOOT," and every time i try to turn it on, CPU flashes for a few seconds, it either skips the DRAM light all together or the light will flash weakly, then it flashes normally on VGA, then to BOOT where it will stay on without displaying anything. I don't have a monitor yet but assumed a TV with an HDMI cable would work the same until I can get one.

I took out the motherboard from the case and breadboarded the whole thing, doing it all again a few different times.
I've checked the CPU. No smudges or bent pins. Clean aside from the thermal paste.
Checked all wiring and connections. Power seems fine, everything turns on and spins.
I updated the Motherboard to the latest version via USB. Seemed successful but can't confirm since it won't turn on.
I tried starting it without the GPU connected. The little light for VGA will stay on and not do anything else.
Tried switching ram positions, as well as 1 at a time in each slot.
Tried all the HDMI slots on the PC with different HDMI cables.

How likely is it that both sticks of RAM are DOA,? Or is there something else I'm missing entirely? I've spent too much money on this to give up now. I'm about to just take it to a PC repair shop and beg them to save me, but I'd rather do it myself if I can. I just want to play Skyrim for the 100th time.

Solution
No need for operational cpu to do the update but is a good point if it was done properly. Did you rename the bios file (not zipped or folders) to MSI.rom to update?

Another good point about your boot drive. Those led indicators isolate common errors and illuminates fully if can't complete the test.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
It can be. Considering everything you tested so far I would say it wouldn't hurt to try is with real monitor. Once Windows is installed it does not matter what display you use but at first boots it can be tricky.

TVs should work with basic display protocols. Different being legacy boot with uefi cards that Windows need boot first. Wouldn't hurt trying a monitor though. I just find it odd, gpus sporting hdmi long ago rarely had handshake issues if ever with TVs.

breh_soe

Distinguished
May 28, 2015
It can be. Considering everything you tested so far I would say it wouldn't hurt to try is with real monitor. Once Windows is installed it does not matter what display you use but at first boots it can be tricky.
I’ll update on that when I can get a monitor. I’ll keep trying anything in the meantime too.

breh_soe

Distinguished
May 28, 2015
Bought a new CPU that should be compatible according to PCPartpicker, (AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core) installed it, same result. I’m not even sure what to do with this aside from just throw this away and buy a pre-built one at this point.