new performance bench: Vista vs. 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

pat mcgroin

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2007
Thats pretty interesting.
My only wonder mainly is the boot time and mainly since I dont have a copy yet, what will happen when it gets the full load of features.
As I understand it there will be some features that will only be avaiable under the cloud. Eg Windows mail and a couple of others.
I would however imagine that as with all new op systems there will be other features that aren't currently integrated, and I would have to think that could cause a boot slow down.
I dont put much stock in boot time as it is the overall useability that matters and it seems to be a substantial increase.
One also has to wonder if when the new features are added along with the inevitable security optimizations to the core how big of a difference that could make.

I hope that since they are saying that with the Vista/2008 code being the basis for V7 that SP2 for Vista will bring some of the apparent benifits being realized.

Good find Notherdude.

FatFunkey

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2006
yea ind you this is a beta build with 1/2 of the crap thats supposed to be in the OS not running...

Still holds promis but im not gonna hold my breath

yea ind you this is a beta build with 1/2 of the crap thats supposed to be in the OS not running...

Half eh? Somehow I think this is a little bit of an exaggeration. There may or may not be somethings not yet running but it is supposedly 'feature complete' at this stage. Time will tell.

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008

It's not optimized for speed at this point either. So the fact that is does so well incomplete and without polish gives us a good idea on where it will be once they complete the rest of the features, then smooth out the kinks.

Twist86

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2008
I gotta agree I think after Vista Microsoft felt the love of all their cash flow sinking into a hole so they finally listened to us and thus we will see a fantastic OS this time around.

Can't wait to see 7 on release....will wait for the reviews then though.

aznguy0028

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2007
awesome. i'm probably gonna switch over after SP1 comes out. vista will have DX11 too so it wont be as great of an incentive to switch over right away for me. after the few ironed out bugs then good chance :p

Newf

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
OK, service packs also update the march in technology as time passes. That is different from taking a beta release and using customer complaints to reformulate a band-aid solution.

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008

They can, they could also ruin perfomance by adding useless features.

zodiacfml

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2008
at least performance were not bottom low compared to other OS.
i think the new taskbar will be good in win 7, haven't tried it though.
if i only had an extra drive, i'll try the beta.

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008

You could make a partition.

Status
Not open for further replies.