New Port on Xbox One Controller Makes it Incompatible with Current Gaming Headsets

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vidfreek

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2011
Yeah that is pretty crappy here Microsoft, why bother changing that when it has worked just fine the whole time you've had headsets for chat? I'm sure I'm with a lot of people who have high end headsets who are pretty ticked off right now. Just got my Turtle Beach 7.1 headset at the end of last year and its really awesome, so nice I can use it for the next Xbox that I was really planning on getting as most of the issues dont bother me too much, but this is another issue that grates on me and is slowly pushing me towards not getting one. E3 hopefully brings the most reasoning behind getting one or the other, I can only do one console this generation and I'm making sure its the right one and if Microsoft keeps going this route, I think Sony is the only one getting my money this time around....one reason being that my headset is bluetooth and should work with the PS4 ;)

happyballz

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2011
With as many negatives as this new Xbox brings .. they can keep it. I usually buy consoles to play with friends socially when they are over... not even spending a dime on this restricted POS.

makaveli316

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2010
The saddest thing is that they'll sell a lot of them, cause most of the consumers are....how to say, i don't want to say stupid, but...you get my point.

They are going to take the loss on hardware and make it just affordable enough to sell the projected n number of units. People who otherwise can't afford a low to mid-range gaming PC are going to be buying these things up.

hfitch

Distinguished
May 7, 2009
I was so looking forward to the next systems. Im not anymore. There is only one feature I find cool on Xbox One and its the instant swapping between apps. Nothing else on there cries to me buy it. I can not judge the PS4 since they didn't actually show a PS4 or any real specs. They showed a controller and pre-recorded video. Xbox and PS4 if they don't start treating customers with respect will go the way of the Atari. Just because you guys were number one at one time doesn't mean a different player won't come along and go here's what gamers want and I just gave it to them. Do I see room in the market for a Android or Apple gaming system. I am not talking Ouya. MS and Sony just gave competitors a chance to break the market open. Nintendo isn't even trying to be creative anymore so there out. Make another Mario put a interesting idea into market that will sell. It hasnt but got to love them trying.

Hardware does not determine the ultimate console winner, games do.
Nintendo beat out the PS/PS1, and literally killed many other more advanced platforms because they had a solid a wide game base that others did not have. PS2 beat everyone at the time because they had the games when Nintendo was pushing rehashes. The Wii had the most unit sales, but had weak games sales (especially if you discount hardware bundled games like Wii Sports or Sports Resort), often being beaten or matched by the other 2 consoles on new launches, and always falling behind after title releases, even though the others had a small fraction of the install base. In the end this last gen the PS3 had the better hardware, but the x360 had the game sales and most active user base because they had the solid game lineup which I think puts them as the winner of that console war.
This time around it looks like PS4 is the early lead in the media battle, but we have not seen what it looks like, we do not have a price tag, and we do not know what the One's title lineup is yet, or how popular the new IPs are going to be. Personally I do not have a horse in this race as I did not buy a console last gen, and do not intend to buy one this time around either. I am only following it to see how it will affect PC gaming, and what kind of GPU I need to be looking at for my next upgrade to play the next round of 'next gen gaming'. But if I was a betting man I would be backing Sony with the info I have today, but I would not think that they have it in the bag yet.

stevejnb

Honorable
May 6, 2013

Not sure I agree with you on the general idea of this post. If games were the be-all end-all of a console's success, the Dreamcast would have dominated the PS2, seeing as it had a *far* superior lineup for the first portion of the PS2's life. What's more, the PS/PS1 beat the Nintendo 64 quite handily for sales when all was said and done, and it was rather up in the air as to which system actually had the better games. And the most recent example of the Wii - it still has a larger install base than the PS3/XBOX 360 while it undeniably had fewer quality titles over all when compared to the other two system.

I think I may have misunderstood your point when all was said and done. Are you talking about quality games? Marketable games? Volume of games? Frankly, console success seems to be the product of a lot of factors which all boil down to public perception in the final estimation. Hardware and quality of games fall by the wayside to what is the "in" console at the moment.

Jerad Woody

Honorable
Apr 29, 2013
Thus the reason ive been Gaming on the PC since the N64 came out....
have fun with your $600.00 console, ill just buy mabey a $150.00 graphics card and a few more GIG of RAM, all my old perhiperals will likely work and i can still run my favorite games from as far back 1996. and it can do many things even the next-generation consoles STILL cant. LONG LIVE THE PC!

GIJoeMyGoodness

Honorable
May 21, 2013
What about the Steam Box? I'm honestly all for the idea of it because it will attract a larger audience to standard PC hardware. I will still have my own rigs but if hundreds of thousands more people are playing on Steam then more developers will build games for it and we all win. It will certainly make a dent on the money hungry proprietary crap the console companies are pushing.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
WHAT THEY SAID - "We are working with 3rd party headset manufacturers to create new headsets that will take full advantage of the Xbox One technology."
WHAT THEY MEAN - "We are working with 3rd party headset manufacturers to create new headsets that will take full advantage of the consumer wallet."

HKILLER

Honorable
Jan 8, 2013
My condolences to all those Xbox fans out there as a PC gamer that's the most i can do for you...so Xbox one is not compatible with 360 games or 360 controllers or 3.5mm microphones and headphones...i wouldn't be surprised if they say it's not compatible with HDMI either and you would have to buy an Adapter or Special type of LED screen for it...

prodigygamer

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2010
If my $300+ Turtle Beach headset can't plug into the Xbox One, then I will not be buying an Xbox One. What a load of shit...M$ should stop following in Apples bad ways and think more about games and gamers since that is what their console is meant for!

Status
Not open for further replies.