[SOLVED] New Power Supply Causing Startup Issues?

Jan 19, 2019
Hi, everyone, I'm having trouble with a new psu on an older computer, and I'm hoping someone might have some advice to offer. I've tried to test as much as I can myself, but now I'm pretty stumped.

Short Version:
After installing new PSU, PC takes multiple tries to start up, failing to post 5-6 times before finally succeeding in starting. Shows Checksum error, then runs perfectly. Problem must be the psu, since I returned the pc to its original, known-working state, proved it runs smothly, then swapped the psu, touching nothing but the power connectors. Multimeter test shows the psu to be ok, but take my testing skills with a grain of salt.

Is it possible that there is an incompatibility between my motherboard and the psu? (the mobo user manual says it works with standard ATX power supplies). Or is it more likely that the brand new psu is just DOA, and my tests are wrong? Should I return the psu and get a new one, jsut to see?

Detailed Version:
I bought a new, more powerful psu for my older pc to supply a new graphics card, but with the new psu and card installed, the computer struggles to post, running all the fans for several seconds, then turning off and repeating. After 5-6 rounds of this, I can get it to boot up. It shows a warning that default BIOS settings have been applied due to a checksum error, then runs perfectly. I've even run a burn-in test for the new card, and a game for a couple hours without any problems at all.

My first move was to replace the ancient CMOS battery, but this made no difference. I then suspected the new (to me) graphics card, but returning to my previous card made no difference.

Next, I looked around the case for debris, dust, or tangled wires that could be causing shorts, found nothing. Made sure cards and memory were seated properly, checked any connectors I touched since the problem started.

Finally, I put the computer back in the state its been running well in for months (old psu, old graphics card) and tested it, and it boots and runs perfectly. Then, I swapped out the psu, intentionally touching nothing but the power connectors (I used extenders, that are required for the old psu to reach, so I didn't have to touch the motherboard or move any other wires). The problem returned. Switching back to the original psu, the problem is gone.

I tested the psu with a multitester, and everything seems to be ok, though I can't vouch for my own electrical skills. Unfortunately, I don't have access to another psu to try.

Also, I'll note that I've never moved the memory or CPU. All 9GB of memory are recognized when the system does finally boot, all fans spin, and both drives are recognized.

System:
Its the heart of an 8-year-old HP Pavilion, but updated with a couple of new parts and put into a new case. Upgrading slowly, as money allows.
Pavilion Original:
Motherboard: Pegatron IPMTB-GS microATX
CPU: Intel i7-930
Memory: don't know brand, 9gb DDR3
PSU: HP 460W
HDD: Seagate 1TB, now used as secondary drive
Newer Stuff, proven working:
Graphics card:Nvidia Quadro 2000, 2 years installed
SSD: Crucial MX500 as boot drive, 6 months installed
Case: NZXT S340, 6 months old
Fan hub, w/ 4 case fans, 6 months installed
Very New, might be the problem:
PSU: Corsair CX650
Graphics Card: MSI RX580 (used)

Thanks for any help!

Solution
never saw psu as cause for cmos checksum error
those 5-6 reboots before it posts means some hardware test failing, so bios gets reseted
did u set up something in bios which could cause some instability? ram xmp, cpu overclock etc?
if u keep bios default values, does it still produces checksum error?
did u try without your new (used) gpu?
never saw psu as cause for cmos checksum error
those 5-6 reboots before it posts means some hardware test failing, so bios gets reseted
did u set up something in bios which could cause some instability? ram xmp, cpu overclock etc?
if u keep bios default values, does it still produces checksum error?
did u try without your new (used) gpu?

Solution