Question New power supply

Dec 30, 2021
Hi my desktop computer won't start up or rather it goes to start then stops. So I am thinking the power supply is not working and needs to be replaced. But I am not sure what I should buy.
It has a Bestel ATX0300H5W with input 100-227v-8a. 50/60 hz and output 300w.
Are you able to help please??

Dec 30, 2021
We need more information in order to help you. Mention your full specs along with budget and location.
I live in Scone NSW Australia would like a good quality at a reasonable price please under $100.
It's a compaq case windows 7
M2N68-LA motherboard
Cd drive
Have a N279 attached
Plus 2 TB hard drives
Hope this helps

What online store would buy from? Do you have a link to the store?

There's a lot of junk available, but in NSW I'd think you could find a good PSU.

That's a micro ATX motherboard using DDR3. The PC is probably 8 or 10 years old, but should take a standard ATX power supply.

I don't have any store in mind I wanted to be sure what I should look for first because I can't afford to buy one that doesn't work.
Thank you

Where would you look?

What brands do you see there when you do look?

Do you see Seasonic, EVGA, Coolermaster?

Or??

A decent quality 400 to 500 watt PSU would likely be fine, but we have no idea what is available to you. There are dozens of brands, many of them very shaky.

See if you can find a Seasonic Focus model.

Dec 30, 2021
Where would you look?

What brands do you see there when you do look?

Do you see Seasonic, EVGA, Coolermaster?

Or??

A decent quality 400 to 500 watt PSU would likely be fine, but we have no idea what is available to you. There are dozens of brands, many of them very shaky.

See if you can find a Seasonic Focus model.
https://www.mwave.com.au/product/se...GhHO2SbCGhrl8kJLGKGM-1640855087-0-gaNycGzNCNE

How does that one look and do you think that is good value please?
Thank you

Do you know the model number of the Compaq computer?

Not the motherboard. The PC itself.

It's possible that the PC is non-standard in some way that a standard ATX power supply would not fit or would not have the proper connectors. That's not likely, but possible.

Ideally, you could return the power supply if it won't fit, or perhaps you can have a local technician advise you?

Victa:

2 issues:

1; I guess you are speculating that your PSU is the problem. Could be. Or not. Could be motherboard. A new PSU may or may not help.

2; spending 130 dollars or more for a decent PSU for a very old PC is questionable. Many would advise you to bite a bullet and replace the entire PC, rather than add a single new part to a bunch of very old parts.

Understandable if you are on a tight budget. But you would still be speculating that a new PSU will fix the problem.

Dec 30, 2021
Victa:

2 issues:

1; I guess you are speculating that your PSU is the problem. Could be. Or not. Could be motherboard. A new PSU may or may not help.

2; spending 130 dollars or more for a decent PSU for a very old PC is questionable. Many would advise you to bite a bullet and replace the entire PC, rather than add a single new part to a bunch of very old parts.

Understandable if you are on a tight budget. But you would still be speculating that a new PSU will fix the problem.
So if I was to buy a new PC would this one be a good buy and do you think I could add 2 x 2TB hard drives to it please.
https://www.harveynorman.com.au/hp-pavilion-r3-5300g-8gb-256gb-ssd-desktop.html
Victa:

2 issues:

So if I was to buy a new PC would this one be a good buy and do you think I could add 2 x 2TB hard drives to it please.

From a sheer performance perspective, it would certainly be a major improvement to what you have now.

However:

I don't know if can accept 2 extra drives. Probably, but not guaranteed. I haven't seen the inside of the case.

If you are seriously considering buying a new PC, I'd suggest you start an entirely new thread for that purpose where it should generate many opinions.

I would certainly consider brands other than HP.

If you do make such a new thread, include a link to the various Australian suppliers from whom you might buy.

Be clear on your budget and intended purpose for the PC.

Gaming or not?

Maybe you don't need a separate video card if not gaming. That can hold your cost down a lot.

What is your budget for building the new PC and what is your typical workload like?

Hellfire:

From the comments, I assume Victa wants a pre-built of some type. Presumably moderate workload since a maybe 10 plus year old PC has been sufficient up to now. Maybe in the 800 to 1000 Aussie dollar range based on the one linked in one of the posts above. Apparently no video card required.

Dec 30, 2021
I am a very low income earner and single mum of two so not very expensive please. My son uses it to play Roblox so will need a video card I am guessing.

Ok, so here is how to go about this based on your circumstance.

Since you do not have the means(substitutes) or knowledge to diagnose the issue, take it to a PC store nearby. Let them figure it out for you. If its a minor issue, you can get it fixed promptly. If your GPU is a relatively newer one see of it can be salvaged, since GPU prices are crazy right now. If its the same one that came along with the machine, then never mind. I believe the 2 x 2TB drives will come from the old rig.

Now, coming to your new PC. ROBLOX is a very old game and has a very modest hardware requirement as per todays standard...

System hardware requirements
  • Graphics Card: On PC/Windows, the Roblox application requires DirectX 10 or higher feature level support. For the best performance we recommend either a computer less than 5 years old with a dedicated video card, or a laptop less than 3 years old with an integrated video card.
  • Processor: Roblox recommends you have a recent processor (2005+) with a clock speed of 1.6 Ghz or better. There have been some issues with older AMD processors.
  • RAM or Memory: Roblox recommends you have at least 1 GB of memory on Windows 7, Windows 8, or Windows 10
  • Storage Space: Roblox recommends you have at least 20 Mb of system storage space to install Roblox.
  • Mobile: Click here for system requirements for Roblox Mobile.
https://en.help.roblox.com/hc/en-us...mputer-Hardware-Operating-System-Requirements

The 5600G integrated VEGA 7 iGPU is one of the best in the current market and can easily run ROBLOX without a dedicated card. It also comes with a decent stock cooler that you can use for now...
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amEILkG0HCI

If the GPU in the dead PC is good enough you can add it to this, else the iGPU is god enough for modest gaming...

PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
:----|:----|:----
CPU | AMD Ryzen 5 5600G 3.9 GHz 6-Core Processor | $358.77 @ JW Computers
Motherboard | MSI B550-A PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard | $148.77 @ JW Computers
Memory | Team T-FORCE VULCAN Z 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory | $79.00 @ PC Byte
Storage | Crucial P2 250 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive | $49.00 @ Amazon Australia
Case | Deepcool TESSERACT BF ATX Mid Tower Case | $49.00 @ PLE Computers
Power Supply | Corsair CXM 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply | $95.00 @ Scorptec
| Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts |
| Total | $779.54
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-12-31 13:10 AEDT+1100 |

I would refrain from going with a prebuild as they usually cut costs with very low quality parts to get max profit. PC building is real easy if you just follow guides and tutorials, but if you are not confident, you can just pay a technician or store to assemble it for you for a modest fee. You will still end up with good quality parts for the build to last longer.

Dec 30, 2021
Thank you.
I was wondering if what you thought of this computer please????
It's on eBay
Gaming Desktop Quad Core i7 16Gb 240 Gb SSD 1TB HDD Nvidia GT1030 RGB Case WIFI
Or

Also on Ebay
Intel 10th Gen Computer 16GB RAM 1TB SSD Home Office & Gaming Desktop PC Core i7

Your thoughts but mighty appreciated

Not enough info.

Are they used? Most likely.

The first one: "quad core i7" is too vague; I wouldn't think you would need 2 hard drives; no info on motherboard; and you may not need ANY kind of video card if your CPU has integrated graphics since your son was using an antique machine to play his favorite game.

The second one: 10th generation is OK, but not specific enough; motherboard unknown

You certainly DON'T need an i7.

Look for an i5; there are many, so we'd need to know WHAT i5.

Excellent chance you would not need more than 8GB of RAM, rather than 16.

Ebay wouldn't be high on my list of places to buy a PC.

It might take 150 or 200 dollars to diagnose your problem and get a new power supply if that is your only problem.

Do you have access to a competent technician to do the diagnosis?

Versus what for those ebay PCs?

Versus what for a lower end new PC? Maybe 700 or 800 in Australia?

Last edited: