Question New PSU needed?

Eamon Burns 99

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2013
Hi folks,

So my last build was around 9 years ago. This means I've been using the same 500w PSU for the past 9 years of gaming/ general daily use.

Recently I decided to upgrade to a more modern set up
Ryzen 5600
Rx6600
16GB DDR4 ram
Gigabyte B450M mobo.

After setting everything up and being good to go, I turned the PC on and the only thing that started was the CPU fan and some lights on the front of the case. One of the two gpu fans also started. So I figured some wires were loose. I replugged the 24 pin, the 8 pin CPU connector, the 6+2 PCI connector e.t.c and tried again with the same result. I did this a couple more times and then eventually nothing at all turned on.

So I put the PSU back in my old PC rig (including the old mobo) to find out if it was an issue with the PSU or potentially my new MOBO. I hooked everything back up into the old PC and only the CPU fan started.

I've been out of the loop hardware wise for the last load of years but to me it seems like a PSU issue right? Given that this was a 500w PSU 9 years ago I figured it has very likely lost some capability and so is probably struggling to generate sufficient power to send to the rest of the PC.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated!

Cheers,
Eamon

Eamon Burns 99

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2013
Yes, I'd assume PSU especially since it's now not working right in the PC it was working right in before.

PCPartPicker Part List

Power Supply: Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 PE 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($55.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $55.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-11-26 19:06 EST-0500

Thanks, I've ordered a new one that should be here on Wednesday so hopefully that resolves it!