[SOLVED] New ram causes blue screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

alen2dull

Reputable
Mar 25, 2019
I'm new on all this computer stuff so I need help on a problem that's happening on my PC.

I have this PC that my sister bought for me. I was reading the motherboard box and saw that my memory is Dual-Channel DDR4 ( with two slots ) but I only had 1 ram stick. We decided to buy another one, I saw a similar one on an online store will all the details same with my older one.

When trying both ram on the motherboard, my PC boots up and I can even see my desktop and stuff. But when I starts to open applications, the screen freezes and causes a blue screen ( not blue screen all the time btw, it sometimes just freezes for a long time so I restarts it ).

Since I couldn't make dual channel work, I thought that my new ram is faulty so I decided to try boot the pc with 1 ram only. Both ram works fine on itself and never freezes and blue screen again. Now I don't know what's wrong with it.. PLS HELP

Last edited:
Solution
The bluescreen happened because you have two different memory modules in the computer.

If you managed to get exactly the same modules then the issue is likely the motherboard ram timings and voltages. I linked the video for you to watch so you'll know how to set timings manually in the BIOS.
I'm new on all this computer stuff so I need help on a problem that's happening on my PC.

I have this PC that my sister bought for me. I was reading the motherboard box and saw that my memory is Dual-Channel DDR4 ( with two slots ) but I only had 1 ram stick. We decided to buy another one, I saw a similar one on an online store will all the details same with my older one.

When trying both ram on the motherboard, my PC boots up and I can even see my desktop and stuff. But when I starts to open applications, the screen freezes and causes a blue screen ( not blue screen all the time btw, it sometimes just freezes for a long time so I restarts it ).

Since I couldn't make dual channel work, I thought that my new ram is faulty so I decided to try boot the pc with 1 ram only. Both ram works fine on itself and never freezes and blue screen again. Now I don't know what's wrong with it.. PLS HELP

It will be easier to help you if you'd provide more detailed info about your system.

Going on what little you've provided:

If you plug in two different ram sticks the best you can hope for is they will both work at the speed and timings of the slower stick.

Try setting the ram timings manually to those of the slower piece and set the voltage to 1.35v which should be safe for pretty much any ddr4.

Or, alternatively, you could return the ram you just bought and buy a proper 2 piece memory kit (listed on your motherboards web page as compatible) and save yourself some headache.

alen2dull

Reputable
Mar 25, 2019
It will be easier to help you if you'd provide more detailed info about your system.

Going on what little you've provided:

If you plug in two different ram sticks the best you can hope for is they will both work at the speed and timings of the slower stick.

Try setting the ram timings manually to those of the slower piece and set the voltage to 1.35v which should be safe for pretty much any ddr4.

Or, alternatively, you could return the ram you just bought and buy a proper 2 piece memory kit (listed on your motherboards web page as compatible) and save yourself some headache.
I really apologize for no info, I'm really not sure how to show or if it's safe to show details on my system.

Also can you teach me how to set the ram timings manually. I'll try if it'll work

Also can you teach me how to set the ram timings manually. I'll try if it'll work

If you download and run a program called CPU-Z it will provide the basic info on your system that you need to share.

To set ram timings I'd suggest watching a few videos like the link below...try and find one specific to your motherboard after you determine which one you have.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4sx-GuY3CA

alen2dull

Reputable
Mar 25, 2019
If you download and run a program called CPU-Z it will provide the basic info on your system that you need to share.

To set ram timings I'd suggest watching a few videos like the link below...try and find one specific to your motherboard after you determine which one you have.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4sx-GuY3CA
Here is a report i got from CPU Z, hopefully it helps and not too hard too look into:
https://ctxt.io/2/AACgZcOYFg ( this is with both rams)

And I'm starting to look more into the ram timing and stuff.

Just added details, my current try on opening my PC with 2 rams. It took quite some time to blue screen, and I actually noticed that It only happened when I started opening more apps like discord and google.

Last edited:

alen2dull

Reputable
Mar 25, 2019
Hello I would just like to update, It's been like 5 hours of me running my PC with the 2 rams on and surprisingly there hasn't been any blue screen yet. I didn't really do anything other than take out the ram and put it back a couple of times.

It is very confusing to my why that was happening and I don't really trust that it wont happen again. So I was wondering if anyone got a clue why it was causing a blue screen earlier. I would greatly appreciate if we can find a solution for it to never happen again? maybe?

But for everyone that tried to help thank you very much, I finally got to work an proper upgrade on my PC.

The bluescreen happened because you have two different memory modules in the computer.

If you managed to get exactly the same modules then the issue is likely the motherboard ram timings and voltages. I linked the video for you to watch so you'll know how to set timings manually in the BIOS.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.