Question New ram causing BSOD & application crashes

Jun 9, 2023
I have recently replaced the ram in my pc - upgraded from 2x4gb to 2x16gb, still DDR4 - I checked compatibility against my motherboard as well.

I have ran windows memory diagnostic, no errors.
I have disabled d.o.c.p
I have updated drivers - there are still 12 outdated but only keyboard/mouse/internet driver - I can't seem to find the updates for them.
I have scanned for malware etc, cleaned files
I have upped voltage to the ram in increments, nominal voltage is 1.2, I upped to 1.25 and then 1.30, still crashing.
I have adjusted PC power plan to high performance as I read in another forum.
I tried to run memtest but could not get it to work on my memory stick for some reason...
I have updated the BIOS

There is two DIMM slots on the motherboard, I have tried swapping the cards around, just having 1 at a time etc, still crashing. Sometimes it is more frequent than others.
Another example of a fault is that when I am playing a game e.g world of warcraft, when it crashes it does not seem to cache my UI setup - I have a feeling this is related?

The BSOD changes between two errors, memory management and Attempted Write to Readonly Memory.

PC specs are:

Motherboard: Asus-A320m-k
GPU: GeForce GTX 1660 TI 8GB
RAM: 32gb DDR4 (2666MHz) (2x16 cards)
SSD: 120gb m.2 seagate + 1tb Kingston
CPU: I cannot remember exact, I know it's quad core though... I can provide further information later.
Cooling: CPU is water cooled, the rest is fan cooled.

If you need any further info please let me know.

Last edited:
May 29, 2023
Here are some suggestions:

1. Test each RAM stick individually in each slot to rule out any issues.
  2. Check for BIOS updates that address RAM compatibility.
  3. Run a thorough antivirus scan to check for malware.
  4. Create a bootable USB drive with memtest86 to test the memory.
  5. Reset the RAM voltage to the default value of 1.2V.
Keep an eye on the Event Viewer for error codes. If the problem persists, consult a technician or contact the manufacturers for support.

Jun 9, 2023
Here are some suggestions:

1. Test each RAM stick individually in each slot to rule out any issues.
  2. Check for BIOS updates that address RAM compatibility.
  3. Run a thorough antivirus scan to check for malware.
  4. Create a bootable USB drive with memtest86 to test the memory.
  5. Reset the RAM voltage to the default value of 1.2V.
Keep an eye on the Event Viewer for error codes. If the problem persists, consult a technician or contact the manufacturers for support.
Thank you for the suggestions but as mentioned I have done all of those - the RAM was already at the default voltage and was still causing crashes. I checked Event Viewer after several crashes, as well as after running the diagnostic and nothing came up.

Is there anything else I can try?

Thank you.