Question New RAM crash but no error on MemTest86

Nov 11, 2020
Hi,

I just got new RAM, 2 sticks of 8gb, befire I had only one, they are the same specs and all.

The issue is that when they're both in my computer, it crashes randomly, at the beginning it would make a blue screen of death with the "unexpected kernel mode trap" error, but now it just crashes with my computer just freezing.

When their is only one stick in it works perfectly fine, whatever the stick is.

I upgraded my bios, all the drivers that I could, intel etc. I did a test with MemTest86 and no errors, so I really don't know what's the problem.

Thanks for your help

Hey there,

So, just to be clear. You have two DIMMS, one you had before, and another one you've just added? Is that right? Or did you get two new matched DIMMS, and have added it to your already existing ram?

Most likely your issues is your DIMMS are slightly different in specs. You may have to set the timings and voltage manually through the bios to get them to work together.

If you have only two DIMMS and they are not a matched kit, they are not guaranteed to work.

Can you provide the make/model of each one, so we can see?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Ouch, Cas17 for 2400 is high, that's bottom of the barrel ram. If you have the option, you might need to bump the vccio or vccsa 0.01-0.05v, which adds a tiny amount of voltage to the memory controller if it's having issues. May or may not need to also bump the stock 1.2v upto 1.25v when using the ram paired.

Nov 11, 2020
Thank you for your answer.

How can I make the changes you mentionned ? I don't have any option in my bios.

I can also get other sticks from the store I bought them from, since these one don't work, should I ask them for specific CAS Latency or anything ? Or if I take one stick of 16gb would it be better ?

Also is there any way to unlock my bios ? I can't access anything but simple informations or settings. I don't have any AI tweaker options or anything.

Last edited: