Question New RAM (Hyperx fury 8gb ddr3 1866mhz) not working as it should (?)

TheMarmaladeMaiden

Honorable
Mar 7, 2014
I just got 2 sticks of the blue Hyperx fury 8gb ddr3 1866mhz RAM. My PC specs are as follows:
Motherboard: GA-970A-DS3P (rev. 1.0)
CPU: AMD FX8320 black edition
GPU: Zotac GTX 1060 Mini 6gb
RAM (the old one): Corsair Vengeance 2x4gb DDR3 1600mhz
PSU: Corsair VS650

When I took out the old corsair ram, and installed the new hyperx ones, the PC switches on but I get no display (did the CMOS reset).
If I switch one of the 4gb corsairs with the 8gb hyperx it recognises 12gb. I did this with both the new hyperx sticks, and they both worked.
Now, if I plug in both 4gb corsairs and 8gb hyperx's, it recognises all 24gb in the BIOS but in task manager I see that 12gb is hardware reserved.

I've reset CMOS by taking unplugging the PC, taking out the RAM and battery, and holding the power button, but unless I have one of the older corsair modules in, the display wont turn on (but the PC switches on).

I was mainly hoping to upgrade from 8gb to 16gb of RAM. Help would be appreciated. I don't know what I'm missing here.

TheMarmaladeMaiden

Honorable
Mar 7, 2014
...if used in multiples.
It didn't work as singular either.

What is the exact part number on the memory?..
The part number is HX318C10F/8. I wasn't able to find any mention of high density or low density on the product spec sheet, but if all the newer memory is high density, that would make sense.

I just looked up incompatibility due to using high density memory on a system requiring low density, and it mentioned 'it would recognise only half, or simply wont boot up' which seems to be the case, but I maybe be mistaken or just finding coincidences.

I still can't figure out why one of the new sticks works in conjunction with the old corsair 4gb stick.
Also, will only low density memory modules be compatible with my motherboard?

lynx1021

Distinguished
Usually the low density memory has chips on both sides, Vendors don't want to tell you much about their specs. You mainly have to depend on them to tell you if it is compatible. Some will tell you its Rank2X8 that means 16 chips. The Part Number: HX316C10FRK2/16 is two 8GB sticks (red HyperX) that is supposed to work with your board.
Your HX318C10F/8 is rated for 1866MHZ and the timing is different. What are the part numbers on the Corsairs? If you try to run all together you would have to set to the higher timing of the set. You may be able to fined 2 more of the Corsairs used online . You know they work.