New RAM is being weird

amasko57

Proper
Dec 26, 2018
Ive today got new RAM which is (2x8)16gb DDR4 3000mhz, an upgrade from my old (1x8) 8gb DDR4 2133mhz after I installed it and booted the pc, the fans were spinning louder than usual (still are) and cpu temps went up from average of 65C to 75C, and gpu goes up to 70C in bf5, but they definitely work since before I had about 60-80fps on ultra with alot of stuttering and frame drops, now its at about 120fps avrage which is what it should be, but there are still some frame drops and stuttering going on, whats weird is that games like gta5 and r6s still have the same fps as before, which is half it actually should be, and there seems to be stuttering whilst im in desktop like when things are loading, and when im writing this, ive just launched overwatch and the fans are so loud, but the fps is also the same, idk what to do, any suggestions are welcome.
Specs:
AMD Ryzen 7 2700X
MSI Armour RTX 2070
Sandisk PLUS 480GB SSD
MSI X470 Gaming Pro
Corsair 16gb (2x8) DDR4 3000mhz
Corsair VS650 PSU

1. Test your ram with memtest86.
You should be able to complete a full pass with NO errors.

2. Is your ram kit supported explicitly? Ryzen is picky.
The ram kit should be listed on the motherboard qvl list or on the Corsair ram selection app for your motherboard.

If both the above are ok, your problem is likely elsewhere.

Possibly, you have a heat issue.
ryzen throttle point is 85c.
If you reach that point, your processor will slow down, letting the temperatures return to reasonable.
Monitor with HWmonitor which will show you the max temperature.

amasko57

Proper
Dec 26, 2018
1, the memtest is going to take too long rn so im gonna have to do it later 2, I'm not not sure if it is supported, I think so, the whole list of RAMs is kinda confusing https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/X470-GAMING-PLUS#support-mem-14 3, How would the RAM cause the fans to spin this much louder, seriously, they sound like im in game after a 10 hour session in desktop but the temps on cpu are <40C in desktop and 65-75C in games. and maybe im wrong about the time it takes for the test to run, so if you could assume the time it would take to do a pass that would be appreciated

amasko57

Proper
Dec 26, 2018
idk, all ive really done is just in game benchmarks like in r6s and gta5 which both result in same fps just as with the old ram, whilst in game in bf5 the frames have become 120fps average on ultra which is what it should be. If there are any other benchmarks u want me to download, sure I will

amasko57

Proper
Dec 26, 2018
CPU Performing above expectations (63rd percentile)
GPU Performing as expected (46th percentile)
RAM Performing above expectations (85th percentile)
seems good, btw do you mean that since my system is now running normally with the new RAM that means that the fans were previously not working as loud as they should be and now its just weird for me? but then why would they be still this damn loud when I have nothing running?

u can make fans really quite in bios settings, but cpu temperature will go up
u could improve your current case airflow (feel free to look on youtube for sme ideas), that could reduce noise and temperatures by quite a bit at minimal cost, or sometimes just helps rearanging fans in case

amasko57

Proper
Dec 26, 2018
I have 3 front and 1 back fans, and airflow in cases is 0-none on performance, watch linus and his case fan configuration video, case fans and airflow acting on temps is a myth. Also the cpu is not running faster, the fans are just louder for no reason

imc is integrated memory controller, its inside cpu
performance difference? single channel ran can do 2 writes or 2 reads or 1 write + 1 read at one time, on dual channel it is double of that alongisde lowered ram latency, so that CPU doesnt need to wait for ram that much, which improves IPC

amasko57

Proper
Dec 26, 2018
do you understand what im saying? the cpu is not computing more, the frequency is not higher and the fps in gta5 and r6s is the same as before, yet there is more heat whilst theyre plaid and the fan is going bonkers

amasko57

Proper
Dec 26, 2018
Memtest86 is used to test ram.
It says nothing about your game performance.
To verify that your ram is ok, run memtest86.
You download it to a usb stick and boot from that usb.
It does not use an OS.
If you can complete one full pass with NO errors, your ram is ok and your problem is elsewhere.
It might take 30 minutes.

TRENDING THREADS