[SOLVED] New ram is identified in Bios but system won't use

Oct 7, 2021
I have an asus Z170 pro gaming, i7-7700k, 8gb x 2 crucial ballistic 2400 ddr4 and its been serving me well. Decided to update witg additional ram. Got 4gb x 2 of crucial ballistic 2400. I flashed the bios and inserted the new ram into a2 and b2 slots. Then it wouldn't post. I removed one stick and it would post, bios identified the new ram but not showing it's being used, (current memory is about 16gb). In windows system it shows the same. I tries moving the sticks into different positions and all kind of funny thing's happened. Most didn't post, once it was 12.9gb. Got desperate, reseated the cpu and reattached the cooling fan a little looser, reinstalled the graphics card driver. Still nothing.

Does anyone have a clue what to do?

I have an asus Z170 pro gaming, i7-7700k, 8gb x 2 crucial ballistic 2400 ddr4 and its been serving me well. Decided to update witg additional ram. Got 4gb x 2 of crucial ballistic 2400. I flashed the bios and inserted the new ram into a2 and b2 slots. Then it wouldn't post. I removed one stick and it would post, bios identified the new ram but not showing it's being used, (current memory is about 16gb). In windows system it shows the same. I tries moving the sticks into different positions and all kind of funny thing's happened. Most didn't post, once it was 12.9gb. Got desperate, reseated the cpu and reattached the cooling fan a little looser, reinstalled the graphics card driver. Still nothing.

Does anyone have a clue what to do?
This new ram was it a kit or 2 separate sticks?
If you just use the new ram fitted in the proper slots does it work?

Oct 7, 2021
This new ram was it a kit or 2 separate sticks?
If you just use the new ram fitted in the proper slots does it work?
https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1151/Z170-PRO-GAMING/E10719_Z170_PRO_GAMING_UM_V2_WEB.pdf page 1-8
If you test 1 stick at a time, slot A2. 2 sticks = A2+B2. Make sure the sticks are pressed all the way in. It should click and the retention mechanism (plastic) should click in place by itself.

I got it off ebay, they do appear to be a part of the same set. Yes the ram fits, it's ddr4... yea i hear a click... come on now, how little ya think I know here. No respect I tells ya, no respect.

So each stick was tested separately. it's being identified in bios but not adding to the amount of ram to the system. The time it read 12.9gb I think it was something screwy with the 8gb sticks being where they weren't suppose to be for ideal configuration. Like A1 A2 or something.

Question though, should the ram of the larger memory be in a2+b2? They're in a1+b1 right now.

mamasan2000

Distinguished
BANNED
I got it off ebay, they do appear to be a part of the same set. Yes the ram fits, it's ddr4... yea i hear a click... come on now, how little ya think I know here. No respect I tells ya, no respect.

So each stick was tested separately. it's being identified in bios but not adding to the amount of ram to the system. The time it read 12.9gb I think it was something screwy with the 8gb sticks being where they weren't suppose to be for ideal configuration. Like A1 A2 or something.

Question though, should the ram of the larger memory be in a2+b2? They're in a1+b1 right now.

You might find the answer here: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005657/boards-and-kits.html