[SOLVED] New RAM, monitor & keyboard don't work

Nov 20, 2020
I want to upgrade my PC and started with RAM, got 16gb DDR4 (2x8gb, 2666mhz) wanting to replace my 2x4gb sticks - unfortunately even though the PC boots no problem, the keyboard and monitor just don't work when both new sticks are in (the mouse and speakers do though). I updated BIOS, took the mobo battery out along with both sticks and then put it all back, tried turning XPS on, nothing seems to work.
The PC also runs without an issue when I only put one of the sticks in one of the slots; however, if I try to put the same single stick in the other slot I run into the same problem - the PC boots but keyboard and monitor don't work.
Please, could anyone offer me a suggestion because I'm just baffled here and it's driving me insane ;). I know sweet f~ all about all this so any help will be appreciated.

My motherboard: H310M PRO-VD PLUS
CPU: Intel Core i3 8100

Solution
The RAM is listed as a kit so the two modules are (should be) matched to work together as dual channel.

And, provided I referenced the correct motherboard manual, there is no apparent requirement to place the first installed RAM module in a particular slot: either DIMMA or DIMMB.

Just the two RAM slots - correct?

Reference:

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1654569/Msi-H310m-Pro-Vh.html?page=1#manual

(Do verify that I found the applicable User Manual.)

And summary problem statement: A RAM module in DIMM A disables monitor and keyboard.

Look at physically numbered Page 8 in the User manual.

Do you have a GPU in PCI_E1? Or are you using the built-in graphics adapter?

Where is the keyboard connected?

Do you have...

Ralston18

Titan
Were the new 2 x 8 GB RAM modules a matched set (kit) for dual channel use?

Check your motherboard's User Manual. Some motherboards require that the first RAM be installed in a specific slot.

Try booting into Safe Mode to determine if keyboard and monitor work.

Power down, unplug, open the case,.

Ensure that all cables and connections are fully and firmly in place - some connection may be loose.

Check both the connector and sockets plus the wires going into the connectors. Ensure that none have become loose.

Reactions: nieszka
Nov 20, 2020
Thank you for your reply!
I actually don't know if they're for dual use, I checked the manufacturer's website and didn't find anything - it's these: https://www.corsair.com/uk/en/Categ.../Vengeance-PRO-RGB-Black/p/CMW16GX4M2A2666C16
I tried installing them in every combination possible, still same issue; and PC, monitor and everything else runs properly when I put one of the sticks in DIMMB, but when I put another stick in DIMMA the PC boots, but monitor and keyboard don't so atm I have only one of the new sticks in and it's all working fine.

Ralston18

Titan
The RAM is listed as a kit so the two modules are (should be) matched to work together as dual channel.

And, provided I referenced the correct motherboard manual, there is no apparent requirement to place the first installed RAM module in a particular slot: either DIMMA or DIMMB.

Just the two RAM slots - correct?

Reference:

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1654569/Msi-H310m-Pro-Vh.html?page=1#manual

(Do verify that I found the applicable User Manual.)

And summary problem statement: A RAM module in DIMM A disables monitor and keyboard.

Look at physically numbered Page 8 in the User manual.

Do you have a GPU in PCI_E1? Or are you using the built-in graphics adapter?

Where is the keyboard connected?

Do you have Powershell on your computer?

If so, there are some simple commands we can use to look at how Windows "sees" the installed RAM.

But, one thing at a time - more for my sake than yours....

Solution
Nov 20, 2020
Yes, just two RAM slots;

As for the GPU, I can't say I actually know the difference, I had a look and I'd say it's a graphics card not a build in adapter (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB) but just in case this is a photo (I'm a graphic designer so I really know nothing about hardware, please bear with me 😅): https://ibb.co/CmyXcfK

The keyboard is conntected to one of the USB slots; the mouse is working even with two RAM modules and it's connected to a USB slot right next to keyboard so I swapped them over to double check but the keyboard still didn't work in the other slot. In fact it doesn't work when connected to any USB slots.

And I do have Powershell; I've had a look on Speccy and the new RAM module is listed there as single channel...? Here: https://ibb.co/WgsDTgV
So here's another dumb question from me - is that because there's only one stick installed?

Thank you so much for your help, I really appreciate it, it's absolutely thrashing my head that I cannot figure this out.

Ralston18

Titan
Speccy is indicating a total of 4 memory slots.... ?

Case photo:

It appears that there is a GPU in PCI_E1.. And it appears that there is adequate clearance between the end of DIMMA slot and the GPU.

However, your case photo seems to indicate that there is something above/over the currently unused RAM (DIMMA) slot - is that correct?

Difficult for me to tell: photo is overall good but the RGB glare may be masking something

Is there something there that you need to remove and reinstall when using DIMMA?

Fan maybe?

According to User Manual Page 8, there is a 50.83 mm clearance between the center of the CPU and DIMMA.

Is whatever is there crowding pressing in on DIMMA either the slot or perhaps when the RAM module is installed?

Hopefully someone else will put eyes to it all, recognize a problem, and post accordingly. I have no problem with that.

Nov 20, 2020
There must be an issue with Speccy because there's physically only 2 memory slots, also both the motherboard's manual and the specs online state there's only 2 slots.

No, I can use DIMMA without an issue, the RAM module does sit quite close to the fan once it's in but it didn't cause any problems when my old RAM modules were in.

I took a better picture in case someone finds it helpful: https://ibb.co/TkHGC64

If I don't manage to resolve this issue, is there any point in asking for a replacement set to try if it works, or is it not really possible for it to be the modules' fault? (It's the last question, I promise!)

Nov 20, 2020
I tried that but unfortunately didn't help;
I put one of the modules in DIMM A today just to double check and it did work it that slot - so basically the only issue is that the modules won't work when both are inserted (and cause leds on the MB to start flashing); they seem to work individually in either of the slots, although one of the modules always works perfectly, whereas the other one sometimes works well, sometimes causes the screen/keyboard issue.
Might return them after weekend and see if the replacement works.

Last edited:
Reactions: DMAN999

Ralston18

Titan
I am hard pressed to come up with any explanation.

Could be that the new modules, when installed together, simply cause some pressure point/stress and a loss of RAM connectivity.

The old RAM modules may not have done so - some physical difference.

Do the new RAM Modules touch each other anywhere along their lengths when both are installed? The new photograph appears that the side by side fit is/would be much tighter.

Is there any air flow from the fan impinging on DIMM A? Would not expect DIMM A to "bend" or "lean away" per se but the way things are made these days - who knows?

Or perhaps the fan recoils a bit. Tolerances are very tight and very little movement can cause problems.

Wondering if non RGB 2 x 8GB modules (a kit) would change the behavior.

And I would give Powershell a try just with regards to gathering memory information. "Gets" are a good way to do so.

For example:

https://community.spiceworks.com/ho...-with-powershell-on-windows-operating-systems

https://community.spiceworks.com/ho...-with-powershell-on-windows-operating-systems

I have not, experimented, with memory related Gets beyond just a couple of basic cmdlets. However if you are of such nature and inclined to do try the memory Gets using various RAM configurations. Something might turn up.

Also feel free to keep asking questions. That also may help discover what is going on.

Reactions: nieszka and DMAN999

DMAN999

Dignified
Ambassador
Have you run Memtest86 on each RAM stick individually yet ?
I don't think they are defective But you just never know.
I would also see if loosening up you CPU cooler slightly helps.
Sometimes having the cooler too tight can affect the on chip Memory Controller.

If nothing else works I would return that kit and either get a 2400 kit OR a single 16 GB 2400 stick.

Nov 20, 2020
@Ralston18 My old kit was smaller than the new one so it might be the size that's causing problems, though I moved the CPU fan away from the slots as it seemed to almost touch the modules but still the issue persists. The Memtest86 showed 0 errors so the modules aren't faulty either - I think I'll give up on this one and try out a different kit.
@DMAN999 I did run the Memtest86 and it showed me 0 errors so like I thought there's nothing wrong with neither of the modules; I loosened up the CPU cooler but still no joy.

Really loved the rgb and unfortunately I can't find any decent 2400 rgb modules so I was thinking about trying out the G.Skill Trident 16GB kit, but there's two issues, namely it's 3200 (not sure if setting the frequency to 2400 in BIOS would help here), and it's not listed on the QVL. I will be upgrading my pc next year as it's struggling with the design software I use on the daily basis so if the G.Skill kit also fails to work I'll just keep it till I upgrade a few other components.

lynx1021

Distinguished
Could be the board is having trouble supplying enough voltage to the ram with both modules in with the RGB. You could try upping the voltage slightly in the Bios to 1.25 or 1.35. Most DDR 4 will handle 1.35 for over clocking. I had an older computer that used DDR3 and with 4 sticks I had to raise the voltage to 1.6 volts to get it to work, normal for DDR3 is 1.5 volts.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2020
A little update since you guys spent your valuable time trying to help me - I really appreciate it, and as someone who knows nothing about hardware I've learnt a lot from you, so thank you.

I tried different voltage (thanks for the tip @lynx1021) and it didn't work either so I returned the kit and in the meantime ordered the exact same kit from a different website - it came today, I resetted the MB battery and then inserted the modules and they work perfectly! So the previous kit must have been faulty, I did the MemTest86 and it showed no errors but then again I only ran 4 passes as I had the free version.

So thank you for your help, everyone!

Reactions: DMAN999

lynx1021

Distinguished
A little update since you guys spent your valuable time trying to help me - I really appreciate it, and as someone who knows nothing about hardware I've learnt a lot from you, so thank you.

I tried different voltage (thanks for the tip @lynx1021) and it didn't work either so I returned the kit and in the meantime ordered the exact same kit from a different website - it came today, I resetted the MB battery and then inserted the modules and they work perfectly! So the previous kit must have been faulty, I did the MemTest86 and it showed no errors but then again I only ran 4 passes as I had the free version.

So thank you for your help, everyone!
Thanks for the update and I am glad you got it resolved!