New RAM problem

Olle118

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2015
Hi guys I just bought some new RAM for my computer, I already have two 4GB sticks in my computer but just bought two more 4GB sticks of the exact same brand and model, but after I put them in and try to start the computer the fans of the cpu and the power supply spin for a second then there is a red light on the mother board and they stop spinning, a few seconds later it does the same thing again, it seems like it tries to start but runs into a problem do you know what it could be?

TL;DR Bought new RAM that is exactly the same as what I already have but the computer doesn't start if a have it in, without the new RAM it works fine

Solution
^^To expand on the above, RAM makers may change memory chip module OEMs from production cycle to production cycle even if the same make and model. Memory makers like to have more than one source of memory should there be an interruption in the supply of one supplier. Also, microscopic variations in silicon manufacturing tolerances can happen between different production cycles, and that can throw errors as well. Memory sold in kit form (2x, 4x, etc.) are cut from the same silicon die.

In any event, I'd take the original RAM out and try the new RAM in the same slots and see if it works normally. If so, then add your older memory in the remaining slots. Sometimes changing things up like that works. But the bottom line is you are rolling...
Your system is not posting with the new RAM. Mixing and Matching RAM, even if it is the same model and speed is not a good idea. This is why RAM is sold in kits. They are tested together to ensure they work together.

There could be an issue with the new RAM, I would suggest testing just the new RAM and removing the old RAM and see if it will post. If it does, then you know that the new RAM is working properly, it just does not work with the old RAM.

^^To expand on the above, RAM makers may change memory chip module OEMs from production cycle to production cycle even if the same make and model. Memory makers like to have more than one source of memory should there be an interruption in the supply of one supplier. Also, microscopic variations in silicon manufacturing tolerances can happen between different production cycles, and that can throw errors as well. Memory sold in kit form (2x, 4x, etc.) are cut from the same silicon die.

In any event, I'd take the original RAM out and try the new RAM in the same slots and see if it works normally. If so, then add your older memory in the remaining slots. Sometimes changing things up like that works. But the bottom line is you are rolling the dice mixing up memory not sold in kit form.

Solution

Olle118

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2015
I SOLVED IT

I think the problem was that I didn't put in the RAM with enough force the first time, you want to kind of hear a click to know that they are in place, I was in a hurry so I probably didn't put them in correctly, altough I did as the people in this thread told me and switched my old RAM for my new RAM first to see that it worked which it of course did after that I put in the old RAM in the empty spots and it worked without any problems

Cool. Yeah DIMM slots can be VERY tight and it can get scary trying to install memory because it can require an uncomfortable amount of force to get them to snap in fully. And it's a definite snap sound. Generally though the tabs locking them in should be the guide to knowing you have them fully inserted.

Congrats!!!