[SOLVED] New RAM won't POST in single, quad or dual-channel

thegoo

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2012
CPU: i7-8700K
Motherboard: Asus Maximus X Hero (BIOS Firmware is current)
RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 2x8GB XMP Profile

I've been running the G.Skill Trident Z RGB 2x8GB for a couple of years and I need 32GB currently. I purchased the exact same RAM kit today from Micro Center as I have in my PC currently.

Here's my problem:
The PC runs fine with the old sticks in but if I try to install the new sticks in quad-channel, it won't POST. Thinking that the XMP Profile might be affecting the new sticks, I reset BIOS, cleared CMOS but with the same result; no POST.
I removed the new sticks and the PC will POST fine with the old sticks. So I tried just the new sticks and it won't POST with the new sticks in dual-channel or single-channel. I get the same POST code 55; BIOS set to default settings, no XMP, etc.

Could it be just a bad RAM kit?
Do the same RAM kits vary from year to year even though their specs are exactly the same?

Thanks!

Solution
Materials can change over time yes but the new pair should still run on their own though. You're placing them in 2nd and 4th slot from cpu? Not leaving them in 1st/3rd and removing the old sticks leaving 2nd/4th vacant?

Try clear cmos with only the new sticks in.

Btw, four sticks is still dual channel on that motherboard.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Materials can change over time yes but the new pair should still run on their own though. You're placing them in 2nd and 4th slot from cpu? Not leaving them in 1st/3rd and removing the old sticks leaving 2nd/4th vacant?

Try clear cmos with only the new sticks in.

Btw, four sticks is still dual channel on that motherboard.

Reactions: thegoo
Solution