News New Raspberry Pi OS Looks Like Windows XP

DouglasLourey

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2012
Download location?
This is a wonderful idea. I would love to set this up for seniors on a budget who wish to browse the internet and check email. Seems like a solution.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
... this Linux Raspbian XP Professional operating system (OS) from Pi Lab ...
It'd be good if you could clarify whether Pi Lab has any affiliation with the Raspberry Pi Foundation or what relationship this distro has with the official Raspbian distro.

I expect the answers are: none and that it's simply a fork with a tweaked installer and maybe a few custom skins.

Regardless, calling it a "new OS" is very misleading. Also, it's ironic how they brand it as "Professional", but it seems clearly aimed more toward novices.

Last edited:
I still wish we could get Windows XP on the Nintendo DS, since you can only get dos based windows os working in an emulator, but I guess this isn't too far off.

I want this on a handheld, so maybe put the pi in a PSP sized case.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
I want this on a handheld, so maybe put the pi in a PSP sized case.
This seems to be just a skin + a set of pre-installed emulators that you can already get for the Pi.

As for the case, there are portable Pi enclosures, but I wouldn't personally recommend any that I've read about.

Maybe something like this is better-suited to your needs: https://www.hardkernel.com/shop/odroid-go-advance/

odroidgo2_1_1280.jpg

Stygian-Agenda

Honorable
Jun 11, 2014
Reactions: bit_user