Question New rig buildup - recommendations

droreni

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2012
I am planning on upgrading my computer and looking for recommendations on motherboard - i want a Mobo for intel 12gen (most likely i7 12700K), so LGA1700, and i am looking now at the Asus TUF gaming z690 mobo and want to know if there are any recommendations for alternatives maybe something better at same price range or cheaper as I don't really need Wifi (for reasons that i can think of..)

thanks!

Do you insist on full ATX size.............or is micro ATX OK?

Supposed to be new board series announced within the next week or two.....B series, H series. Probably mostly or all DDR 4.

I'd try to hold off at least a month if you can. Probably longer if you demand DDR 5.

droreni

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2012
Do you want to stick to DDR5 or DDR4 rams? The choices for both are there but there may be some boards that you won't have access to, such as the white motherboard from Asus under the ROG branding will be in DDR5 only. Budget for your motherboard purchase? Cases' make and model to understand clearance limitations, preferred site for purchase and your location?

thanks for helping!
I do want full ATX Mobo. I think I rather have the option for DDR5 but I am open to opinions against it.
I am not stressed on buying right now, anyways I am planning on bying it in 2 months or so. I live in Israel but there is a chance I will be visiting the states in a couple of months in which case I will prefer to postpone the purchase to my trip (April) in order to buy it there cheaper..
buying new case is also an option i didn't rull out.
My computer is quite old, with i7-3770k CPU on it which did it's job during the last 7 years :oops: and I am still capable on running games like COD and BF2042 on it just by upgrading my GPU to nVidia RTX 2060 super a year ago. - I will also be happy to hear an opinion on whether or not it worth upgrading now, since the prices are so high at the moment and the availability is low.
I think my power supply is good enough. so i need Mobo, CPU, memory, and probably a new SSD. also considering new cooling solution for the new rig (now based on noctua fans)

I hope this answers most of the questions. I haven't decided on the budget yet, looking for something around the 300-400$ for mobo, the CPU is at known price, and the rest will be decided later on (thought on WD black for SSD and looking up good 16GB\32GB mem.)

thanks again for the help.

droreni

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2012
Do you insist on full ATX size.............or is micro ATX OK?

Supposed to be new board series announced within the next week or two.....B series, H series. Probably mostly or all DDR 4.

I'd try to hold off at least a month if you can. Probably longer if you demand DDR 5.

as I answered above