New Rig Overclocking i5 8600k

Aug 6, 2018
Hello all,
I recently built a new rig with an i5 8600k using a cooler master ml240 liquid cooler. This is all on an AsRock z370 Extreme4. This is my first time overclocking and I think I've settled into a stable overclock, I was just looking for advice . I've been using Prime95 small FFTs for about an hour with no crashes or BSOD.

I've got it set at 4.8 GHtz at 1.28 volts. It runs at about 89 C with LLC 2. This seems a little high to me, but this is my first time doing this.

I also got it to run stable with those same setting but using an AVX offset of -3. When I do this it runs about 83 C.

The high temp with no AVX offset has me concerned a bit, but I'm not certain if this is acceptable. Should I be concerned about performance loss with the AVX offset enabled?

urbancamper

Distinguished
89c is ok in prime95. The cpu does not start to throttle till 100c. You will not put the cpu through that much stress with regular daily use. One thought though. Have you tried lowering the llc a bit? I know all cpu are different, but mine for example will do 4.8 at 1.245 with llc at 5 out of 10(1 being the highest). Also do your testing in prime with version 26.6. AVX is not included in that version, therefore you will not have to mess with it and can keep it on auto. The test should therefore run cooler.

Your fine so far. Prime will push your CPU harder than any other program, its why I am not a big fan because it is not "real world" usage. You wont see 89C in any other application so it is okay if it hits it in Prime. I would just not run my CPU at that high of a temp for a long time.

Aug 6, 2018
So I downloaded prime95 v26.6 and was able to dail in a 5ghtz overclock with 1.28v llc1 running at 82c to 84c with no avx offset and maintaining that 1.28v under full load. I ran prime95 for an hour. My question is it safe to run llc1 for daily use, knowing that ill rarely hit 100% load for sustained periods of time?

Feb 24, 2018
My i5 8600k runs at 1.230 volt with llc on high (aorus gaming 5 mobo) runs below 80C.

I have one extra settings on llc and thats turbo.
My volt doesnt go above 1.240 with the llc setting.

Now, without the llc setting i need 1.315 volt but i have lower temps...

So i rather go lower voltage and have abit higher temps with llc in high.
If u use llc your voltage can spike higher then the set voltage so keep that in mind when going for higher volts.

So when i go for 1.330 volt with llc high my volts can spike up to 1.35 and even higher when llc set to turbo.

Its all about finding the sweet spot for your mobo/cpu .

Mine is 4.8 @1.230 :p