[SOLVED] New rig with old components - Gaming/3D Rendering Rig

lecrash

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2013
Hey guys my old rig died, and I need a new one to keep working properly from home, but it's been ages since I dealt with hardware (it was like 5 o 6 years before my first post here, and that one was 8 years next February), so I need some help.

I can wait a bit (since Black Friday is coming) but I want to be prepared for when it comes so I know what to buy.

What I need
Case - I'll be going with a Fractal Design 7 (any specific model that I should buy to fit a 3080/3090?)
Power Supply - Fully modular if possible - should also be able to handle the 3080/3090 upgrade next year.
Optical Drive - can read/write BlueRay
MOBO - Compatible with a 3080/3090 since I'm planning on upgrading it next year
RAM - 32 GB DDR4
CPU - Ryzen would be preferred
CPU Cooler
M.2 NVME SSD for Windows
Storage (3-5 TB should be fine).

What I have
ASUS GeForce GTX 1070 OC Dual-Fan 1582/1771 MHz 8GB GDDR5
500 SSD - I have Windows here but as stated in the bottom post, it wouldn't work well.
Monitors and all other peripherals.

Thanks for the assistance once again.

Cheers,

lecrash

Last edited:
Solution
I can def plan to do that, but may I know why it won't be usable to boot the new system?
Because the Windows on the disk has the configuration for the old motherboard. It will try to use hardware that doesn't exist, etc. A change of motherboard is best accompanied by a clean OS install.

kanewolf

Titan
Hey guys my old rig die down, and I need a new one to keep working properly from home, but it's been ages since I dealt with hardware (it was like 5 o 6 years before my first post here, and that one was 8 years next February), so I need some help.

I can wait a bit (since Black Friday is coming) but I want to be prepared for when it comes so I know what to buy.

What I need
Case
Power Supply
Optical Drive - can read/write BlueRay
MOBO - Compatible with a 3080/3090 since I'm planning on upgrading it next year
RAM - 32 GB DDR4
CPU and CPU Cooler
Storage (3-5 TB should be fine).

What I have
ASUS GeForce GTX 1070 OC Dual-Fan 1582/1771 MHz 8GB GDDR5
500 SSD with Windows already in there
Monitors and all other peripherals.

Thanks for the assistance once again.

Cheers,

lecrash
Your disk with windows installed is probably not usable to boot a new system. You should just plan on installing the OS fresh with your new motherboard.

lecrash

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2013
Because the Windows on the disk has the configuration for the old motherboard. It will try to use hardware that doesn't exist, etc. A change of motherboard is best accompanied by a clean OS install.
Makes sense... thanks a lot. I've updated the original post, and a friend suggested I buy a M.2 NVME SSD, so I'll be doing a clean install on that, but thanks for the information. =)