New Router and Powerline Adapter

Arian_3

Prominent
Jun 16, 2017
So I just purchased the Nighthawk x4s from Netgear and I already have a fairly new powerline adapter that I bought just about 1-2 months ago, it was working great with my old router which was terrible so the speeds of 3mb/s when downloading something on steam was great. I am using the powerline adapter right now with the new router and I am getting terrible speeds like 2-3mb/s downloading something, and about 15 down and 20 up on speedtest, with wifi I am getting about 80-90 down and 50 up, when I look at the speeds straight from my PC on my ethernet properties it says I am getting speeds of 1.0gbps with my powerline adapter, but with wifi i am getting 200mbs, so what is going on here? My wifi is faster in everything when downloading, but with the network properties on my PC, the ethernet should be much faster.

My powerline adapter: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06WP2ZT5N/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Up to 1gbps and my PC maxed that speed. Btw my PC is very far away from the router, my PC is upstairs, I really need ethernet for the steady connection for livestreaming. Am I somehow supposed to configure the powerline adapter or something to the new router for the speed? I have no clue

Solution
The wiring may be "good" but may not be optimal for powerline networking. If it has arc-fault breakers (most newer homes in the US do) then they can interfere with powerline network adapters. If powerline doesn't work well, then you either use wireless or pull cable. Those are really your choices.

kanewolf

Titan
It may just be your household wiring is not great for powerline networking. Are both the powerline adapters plugged directly into the wall and not a power strip? If you have any wall-transformer chargers plugged in, unplug and see if that improves your performance.

Arian_3

Prominent
Jun 16, 2017

Both adapters are plugged into a wall outlet with no conflicts, wiring is good in the house, the adapter is plugged straight into the router.

kanewolf

Titan
The wiring may be "good" but may not be optimal for powerline networking. If it has arc-fault breakers (most newer homes in the US do) then they can interfere with powerline network adapters. If powerline doesn't work well, then you either use wireless or pull cable. Those are really your choices.

Solution