New router driving me crazy...

tsherv

Reputable
Feb 7, 2015
For many years I ran an old Linksys WRT series router. The thing was bulletproof. As our wireless needs grew, I found that it wasn't meeting our needs, so I decided to upgrade. I bought a new Linksys AC1200+ router. Ever since I installed it I've been wrestling with it non stop. With my old linksys, when I ran a speed test, it was always consistent (although slower). With my new router, I find my speeds very inconsistent. Here's more info on my setup:

• ISP: Charter Cable - When I connect to the router with a wire, my speeds are consistently between 60MBPS and 70MBPS.

My house: I have a smaller ranch house (1,300 Sq. FT.). My router is in the basement (my wireless strength is very good all over the house). I don't live in an overly crowded area where there are a lot of other wireless routers.

Connected devices: A couple laptops, several iphones, an iPad, Apple TV, Tivo, Ooma phone service (not wireless). With all of those devices, we are still not heavy users of internet. It's not like we are streaming from several devices at the same time, etc. Mostly web browsing, and watching an occasional movie on netflix. We don't do any gaming, torrents, etc.

Current results: Through wifi connection, I have seen as high as 60MBPS, but that is very rare. Usually I'm getting around 20 to 25 MBPS. Sometimes I'm seeing 1 to 2 MBPS download. Again, when I connect with a wire I can always get over 60MBPS.

What I've tried: I've moved the router to different areas of the basement. I've tried to tweak my router every way that I know. I've changed channels several times, etc. Right now I have the router setup to "G standard only". It seems to offer the most stability, but I'm not getting the speeds I'd like to get.

I'm wondering if anyone can give me advice on where to go from here? I can still return the new router. Is there a different router I should be using? If so, what should I get? I've heard good things about TP-Link. Where do I go from here?

Thanks!

Solution
Firstly, please use the right units. It's a pain to have to try to figure out whether someone means MB/s or Mb/s, or something else entirely.

Newer standards try to both play nice with other networks and gain the maximum possible speeds at any moment. Due to the ever-changing conditions in the wireless spectrum (someone picks up a wireless phone, another network starts moving data, it starts raining etc.) you can see varying speeds and there's not much you can do about it.

You'll want the router to be set to dual band, whatever the highest option is. That should get you significantly higher speeds, if you have decent network cards.
Firstly, please use the right units. It's a pain to have to try to figure out whether someone means MB/s or Mb/s, or something else entirely.

Newer standards try to both play nice with other networks and gain the maximum possible speeds at any moment. Due to the ever-changing conditions in the wireless spectrum (someone picks up a wireless phone, another network starts moving data, it starts raining etc.) you can see varying speeds and there's not much you can do about it.

You'll want the router to be set to dual band, whatever the highest option is. That should get you significantly higher speeds, if you have decent network cards.

Solution

tsherv

Reputable
Feb 7, 2015

Thanks for the reply. Dual band highest option was my starting point. That's where I saw the most inconsistent speeds. That's what originally led me down the path of having it set to "g standard" only. Should I try a different router?

g90814

Honorable
Apr 11, 2013
Set it back to pure N band. The 2.4Ghz band will have better distance and through obstacles (floors/walls/etc) but the 5.0Ghz band will allow better speeds. Most devices can do at least wireless N 2.4Ghz. Newer ones can do the 5.0GHz.

Is it possible to move the router out of the basement? You're adding issues right there having it go through the floor for connecting to everything (unless you do stuff in basement too).

For a similar priced router, the Buffalo WZR-1750DHP is pretty decent, and it can be flashed with DD-WRT firmware for even more control.