[SOLVED] New RTX 2070 is recognized in device manager & displays on monitors, but runs games poorly (~40-60 fps)

Bobakanoosh

Reputable
Jul 20, 2016
I ordered a new EVGA RTX 2070 to replace my GTX 1070 which was 2 years old. I've spent the past 6 hours trying to troubleshoot it but have gotten no where. I would literally pay for someone to just make it work right now.

My specs are:
  • i7-6700k
  • EVGA RTX 2070
  • 16GB DDR4 Ram
  • 2TB HDD, 1TB HDD, 256GB SSD (Boot), 512GB Samsung 970 EVO m.2 SSD
  • 650w power supply

Here's a list of things I've tried:
  • GPU is in the first PCI-E slot
  • GPU is recognized in Device Manager and Nvidia Geforce Experience
  • GPU is hooked up to dual monitors, which it displays on.
  • GPU temps hit ~60c according to EVGA Precision X1
  • GPU tends to spike when I lag
  • GPU fans start moving when under load
  • CPU performance graphs seem normal
  • Issues persist on several games (Mordhau, BF4, Fortnite)
  • Used DDU in safe mode to uninstall all nVIDIA drivers
  • Installed newest drivers, and older drivers (v425)
  • Disabled/Enabled iGPU
  • Moved GPU to a different PCI-E slot
  • Nothing out of the ordinary in Event Logs & Hardware Logs
If anyone has any ideas please, please let me save me and help me.

Solution
Aris (Well known power supply reviewer for Tom's hardware, Kit Guru and TechPowerUP) says that unit has good build quality and tests ok other than the power good signal and bad transient response, so that probably isn't relevant, although ANY power supply CAN be a problem. In this case, it's probably not, but FYI it's really not that great of a unit given the items he noted that it doesn't do correctly.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/evga-supernova-650-g1-plus-psu,5661-12.html

First thing you should do is update the BIOS. If you don't want to update to a version that contains the patches for Specter and Meltdown, which I can fully understand, then at least update to version F23d. Any version newer than that will contain...
What is your motherboard model and does it have the latest BIOS version installed?

What is the EXACT model number of your power supply?

Are you gaming on both displays, or just one, and what is the resolution and settings you are targeting/using?

Bobakanoosh

Reputable
Jul 20, 2016
What is your motherboard model and does it have the latest BIOS version installed?

What is the EXACT model number of your power supply?

Are you gaming on both displays, or just one, and what is the resolution and settings you are targeting/using?
Sorry for the late reply, wasn't home all day.

I have a GA-Z170X-UD3, and I'm on F2, the first version of the motherboard's BIOS.
This is the best I could do for my power supply.
I am playing the game on one monitor, and have other things open like Discord on my second. I'm playing at 1080p on a 144hz monitor, and am on max settings. I could hit over 100 fps on Mordhau max settings with my 1070, but am now getting ~40-70 with extreme spiking with the 2070.

Aris (Well known power supply reviewer for Tom's hardware, Kit Guru and TechPowerUP) says that unit has good build quality and tests ok other than the power good signal and bad transient response, so that probably isn't relevant, although ANY power supply CAN be a problem. In this case, it's probably not, but FYI it's really not that great of a unit given the items he noted that it doesn't do correctly.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/evga-supernova-650-g1-plus-psu,5661-12.html

First thing you should do is update the BIOS. If you don't want to update to a version that contains the patches for Specter and Meltdown, which I can fully understand, then at least update to version F23d. Any version newer than that will contain microcode changes for the Spectre and Meltdown vulnerabilities and could have an affect on performance. I have noticed a moderate loss of performance on my 6700k after updating to a BIOS version newer than December of 2018 and once updated the microcode changes cannot be rolled back even if you downgrade to an older BIOS version afterwards.

Updating to the latest non-patched version though, which is F23d, would be very advisable.

Second thing I'd do is make sure you are running THIS chipset driver:

http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/Driver/mb_driver_chipset_300ser_infupdate_10.1.17969.8134.zip

AFTER doing those two things, I would THEN run the DDU again, and if you have EVER had an AMD card installed in this system while using the same operating system installation you are currently using, it would be advisable to run it twice. Once for AMD and again for Nvidia, before then installing the latest Nvidia drivers which were released three days ago.

https://www.nvidia.com/Download/driverResults.aspx/147964/en-us

If after doing all of that you still have issues, then I'd contact EVGA as it may simply be a problem with your card. One thing to note however, if it has been a LONG time since doing a clean install of the Windows operating system, OR if you are running Windows 7 rather than Windows 10, it would be HIGHLY advisable to update to Windows 10 as a lot of hardware released in the last year does not run well on Windows 7 due to a lack of substantial driver support for that operating system EVEN if it technically says it supports it.

Also because, if it has been a long time since doing a clean install, especially if you've been through several of the spring and fall Windows major updates, for whatever reason it just tends to create issues that a clean install often resolves.

Solution
If another card is underperforming too, then it's the power supply, the motherboard or software. I'd try a clean install of Windows first, because that's free to do. After that, I'd look at that power supply. Last to be convicted should be motherboard.

Bobakanoosh

Reputable
Jul 20, 2016
If another card is underperforming too, then it's the power supply, the motherboard or software. I'd try a clean install of Windows first, because that's free to do. After that, I'd look at that power supply. Last to be convicted should be motherboard.
Everything was working perfectly fine before so I'm super confused why it's not anymore. Is there a way to diagnose if it is my power supply?

Ok, so let's clarify something. In EVERY case, EVERYTHING was working perfectly fine..........until it wasn't.

Before your car broke down, it was working fine. Before your heater went out, it was working fine. See how that works? LOL.

Yes, I'm sure it WAS working fine, but now it isn't, so the reason WHY it isn't working fine right now is less important than WHAT isn't working fine.

So, download HWinfo. Install it. Open it and choose "Sensors only". Uncheck the box next to "Summary". Now, with HWinfo (Not HWmonitor or ANY other utility) open run Furmark or Prime95, or just whatever game you're seeing poor performance in, and when you start seeing poor performance take simultaneous screenshots of the system voltage readings in HWinfo. Generally it's better to run Furmark or Prime because in your game if you leave to go take screenshots etc., the draw on the system will likely drop off. We want to see what the PSU is doing WHILE under a load.

Take full screenshots of all system sensors in Hwinfo. It usually takes three sets of screenshots to capture all the sensors by scrolling down between screenshots.

Monitoring software

HWmonitor, Open hardware monitor, Realtemp, Speccy, Speedfan, Windows utilities, CPU-Z, NZXT CAM and most of the bundled motherboard utilities are often not the best choice as they are not always accurate. Some are actually grossly inaccurate, especially with certain chipsets or specific sensors that for whatever reason they tend to not like or work well with. I've found HWinfo or CoreTemp to be the MOST accurate with the broadest range of chipsets and sensors. They are also almost religiously kept up to date.

CoreTemp is great for just CPU thermals including core temps or distance to TJmax on older AMD platforms.

HWinfo is great for pretty much EVERYTHING, including CPU thermals, core loads, core temps, package temps, GPU sensors, HDD and SSD sensors, motherboard chipset and VRM sensor, all of it. When starting HWinfo after installation, always check the box next to "sensors only" and de-select the box next to "summary".

Run HWinfo and look at system voltages and other sensor readings.

Monitoring temperatures, core speeds, voltages, clock ratios and other reported sensor data can often help to pick out an issue right off the bat. HWinfo is a good way to get that data and in my experience tends to be more accurate than some of the other utilities available. CPU-Z, GPU-Z and Core Temp all have their uses but HWinfo tends to have it all laid out in a more convenient fashion so you can usually see what one sensor is reporting while looking at another instead of having to flip through various tabs that have specific groupings, plus, it is extremely rare for HWinfo to not report the correct sensor values under the correct sensor listings, or misreport other information. Utilities like HWmonitor, Openhardware monitor and Speccy, tend to COMMONLY misreport sensor data, or not report it at all.

After installation, run the utility and when asked, choose "sensors only". The other window options have some use but in most cases everything you need will be located in the sensors window. If you're taking screenshots to post for troubleshooting, it will most likely require taking three screenshots and scrolling down the sensors window between screenshots in order to capture them all.

It is most helpful if you can take a series of HWinfo screenshots at idle, after a cold boot to the desktop. Open HWinfo and wait for all of the Windows startup processes to complete. Usually about four or five minutes should be plenty. Take screenshots of all the HWinfo sensors.

Next, run something demanding like Prime95 version 26.6 or Heaven benchmark. Take another set of screenshots while either of those is running so we can see what the hardware is doing while under a load.

*Download HWinfo

For temperature monitoring only, I feel Core Temp is the most accurate and also offers a quick visual reference for core speed, load and CPU voltage:

*Download Core Temp

Posting screenshots, when requested, is helpful so WE can see what is going on as well and you can learn how to do that here:

How to post images on Tom's hardware forums

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS