[SOLVED] New RTX 3060 Ti gives no signal.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 10, 2020
Please read carefully!

I installed a new RTX 3060 Ti by MSI Gaming X Trio in my system. When I turn it on, it gives no display signal, the monitor just stays black. Here is what I've tried:

• Monitor is 100% OK (tested with ps4)
  • PSU is 100% OK (swapped 550 with new 750 watts) (RM750x)
  • Drives are 100% OK (disconnected all SATA cables and used a bootable ISO of Windows)
  • GPU is 100% itself (tried on friend's system, (shares the same MOBO and CPU)) (B450 + R5 2600)
  • Tried using HDMI cables as the DP cable might be broken: still no signal from both.

I am planning to buy a new motherboard but what if it still doesn't work.
PS: Money is not in abundance.

Solution
I'd check with your friend, and if motherboard does have PCIe detection setting, what has he got it set to. But you're right, different gens should work together but this time, might be a motherboard or graphics card bug ~ as in the graphics card running in PCIe 4 mode.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Trouble is, the system wont post. Changing graphics cards shouldn't prevent post, usually. Cmos may have freaked with a hardware change but clearing it would have reset the motherboard to accept new hardware. Doubt this is the issue though but can try.

Apr 10, 2020
Haha, thanks for all help. By the way, I tested the card on my friends' system with almost the exact same specs, he has other drives and 2x8 instead of 4x4. Still, this is weird because I tested with 2x4 RAM and also used a USB as bootable windows cause maybe my drives were the problem. But still, no boot.

Apr 10, 2020
So I bought the Tomahawk Max now. After buying it people said a B550 would be better but I mean they're both compatible. I really hope with my system finally boots with the new motherboard.
If not, I just like, where the f is the problem, not in the drives, nor the ram, not the card itself, not the PSU.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Haha, thanks for all help. By the way, I tested the card on my friends' system with almost the exact same specs, he has other drives and 2x8 instead of 4x4. Still, this is weird because I tested with 2x4 RAM and also used a USB as bootable windows cause maybe my drives were the problem. But still, no boot.

Is that telling us the card does work in your friends system?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Yes. Also tried HDMI so cables isn’t the thing. Also tried bottom lane. Nothing.

What a stubborn issue. Hmm i wonder if it's got to do with PCIe gen detection. Not sure if your board has such an option, ie from auto to gen 3. I'd have to look at the manual which ill do a bit later.

Obviously need a working gpu to check, but just in case the Max version also needs this setting.

View: https://amp.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/k6k4w4/3080_not_working_on_b450_board/

Apr 10, 2020
Really appreciate it man. Also aren’t all GPUs compatible with ‘all’ mobos? They should be, as my friend has the exact same motherboard. :ROFLMAO:

Really really wonder why my system isn’t booting. My new motherboard arrives tomorrow, it’s the B450 Tomahawk Max.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
I'd check with your friend, and if motherboard does have PCIe detection setting, what has he got it set to. But you're right, different gens should work together but this time, might be a motherboard or graphics card bug ~ as in the graphics card running in PCIe 4 mode.

Solution
Apr 10, 2020
Uhh say he’s got it set to X or smth, how do I set mine to the same value? Never heard of this.. I mean he shares the same motherboard with me. :ROFLMAO:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The vga errors with lack of signal are usually due to one or sometimes both of 2 things. Lack of native DP drivers, those will get installed with windows, or a cpu lane issue where the cpu insists on using pcie4.0 on a 3.0 card. This is usually fixed by using hdmi instead, which does have native drivers and/or moving the gpu down to the secondary slot which uses chipset lanes not cpu lanes, so has better recognition of pcie Gen initially.

Once through bios setup/windows install, gpu can be swapped to DP and primary port.

Rufusw

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2007
The new motherboard arrived. Typing this on my 'new' system now. Really appreciated all the help. Thank you.
It's a shame you didn't get to the bottom of it though, it's a strange issue.

I had exactly the same issue when swapping CPU's in an old system, wouldn't even post, yet the same chip worked fine in another near identical system (same mobo, similar ram). I was putting a Xeon in my old X58 and it turned out one mobo was slightly newer and had a newer bios. Updating the Bios resolved the issue.

I also had one system repeatedly crash when windows update kicked in on a fresh install. After disconnecting the network and manually installing the driver's I then isolated it to the IME driver, as ridiculous as this will sound - it turned out the old bios revision was not compatible with the latest IME driver on that i5-4690 system. I was utterly amazed when updating the bios fixed it.

It would have been worth trying a Bios update, it would have made sense that two identical boards could have had different revisions.

Jan 28, 2021
Hi!

I had a same problem like you and I also have 3060ti. I tried download DDU with safe mode and it didn't solve the problem, after I restart my pc I still had a black screen problem.

I solved the problem by formatting my computer. Anyway I still don't know if it was the GPU or the system drivers that was caused the problem.

My system:
  • GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 3060 Ti 8GB
  • RAM: GSKILL 16GB (2x8GB) 3200MHz DDR4
  • MOTHERBOARD : GIGABYTE B450M S2H 3600MHz(OC) DDR4
  • CPU: AMD RYZEN 5 3600 3.6GHz
(also I have 2 monitors and one of my monitors have converter (VGA to HDMI).

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
No product touched by or invented by human minds is perfect. Best engineers that money can buy invent such things as motherboards, gpus, cpus etc. It's always been this way. Which is why even after exhaustive testing and proofing we need bios updates, bug fixes, windows updates and bug fixes, new driver versions etc etc etc. Just to fix all the stuff from the millions of variables and varieties that they cannot test for.

We are the Guinea Pigs. And most times we are good, but occasionally we aren't, and a gpu for whatever reason we'll never understand, defies all available logic and simply gives us the proverbial middle finger. No rhyme or reason to it.

All we can do is chalk it up to a bad day, tell somebody about it, who may be working on a fix, but until that happens, we just move on.

I feel bad it happened, and nobody had a 'easy' button to slap and fix it, but it is what it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.