News New RTX 4070 May Come With Salvaged RTX 4080 Dies

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Agreed. I think the last included game I even installed was Witcher III, but I didn't actually play it, just used it for benchmarking.

Got all the Batman games that way though. I got one of them bundled, and the class action reward for the bad PC port was to give everyone the other titles in the franchise for free.

Still didn't play them. Not a big fan of that style of RPG.
I usually save the steam codes or wherever the code is redeemable and give them to friends interested in games. I believe I also got the Witcher 3 and it was the only included game I have ever played. I gave all the others away.

ManDaddio

Reputable
Oct 23, 2019
AMD gloating over selling their 6000 series cards cheap. That's pretty funny to read.
12 GB is plenty of vram for 1440p gaming. The latest patches from Last of Us prove that.
And how long do you think that console gamers are going to tolerate having to play at 30 frames per second just to get high fidelity gaming when they bought their console to play at 60fps games per second and even 120?

It really is very funny listening to all the idiot talk on social media.

AMD and consoles are the reason that we're in the vram mess. But everyone is blaming everyone else. Typical shills.

But the real thing that I'm going to sit back with my popcorn and see is what people are going to rage about now with Nvidia later on.

If you look carefully over the years Nvidia has given gamers what they wanted. RTX might have been the anomaly but that's because they're trying to build up a new technology and there's really nothing they can do except push forward.

But if Nvidia gives the 4060 TI 8 gigs and 16gb and possibly refreshes the 4070 to give that 16 GB are all the idiot talkers going to say great job Nvidia?
I doubt it. They will just get up on their high horses criticizing them for something else.
AMD won't be the problem. Developers won't be the problem. Console porting won't be the problem.
No one says a thing about AMD monopolizing the console market. But they'll say how much power Intel and Nvidia have.

That's one of the reasons I don't buy consoles. I would rather have RTX features in the consoles and have a stronger chip. Software solutions can only take you so far. I'll consider buying a console when there's real competition there.

AMD will fold though and start putting stuff in on a hardware level. And even then they're just riding on the coattails of everyone before them.
Horray!!!

ManDaddio

Reputable
Oct 23, 2019
Salvaged 4080 dies, specifically AD102, are probably two steps up from the upbranded dies that they're currently using.
But unfortunately, Nvidia got greedy and took the underpowered AD104 die and called it a RTX 4080 12GB 4070 Ti, so everything is a mess and none of it matters. They'll sell the worst-possible chips that they can force the market to accept at the highest-possible price.
You have to love the hearwarmingly defiant "What are you going to do about it, punk? That's what I Thought" attitude from the green team.
Let's just be glad they haven't decided to call their minimum-possible functionality AD107 chip the "RTX 4070 6 GB, GDDR6, 96 bit" and price it at $549.99. .... yet.

Custom-tailored leather jackets don't pay for themselves, ususally.
And even after all this time that's just pure speculation. Where's your proof? Everyone can have their own opinion but one opinion just goes on and on and on with no proof it's really worthless.
This is nothing new for NVIDIA. This is been their ammo for a long time. They always refresh using less than ideal silicon.
AMD does it as well.
The market right now is just forcing that a little quicker maybe.

ManDaddio

Reputable
Oct 23, 2019
The same author just posted another article...showing his real feelings about AMD:

AMD Can't Beat Ada, So Brags About Old Ampere Comparisons

The number of ridiculous articles here today is about to become a record in absurdity!
It's funny how you can have a say on the matter but someone else cannot. I also think Nvidia is superior to AMD in many ways.
All AMD fans can talk about more vram. And we have to tolerate bed council ports to PC because of AMD and it's hardware configuration in the consoles.
Yay!!!

Giroro

Splendid
And even after all this time that's just pure speculation. Where's your proof? Everyone can have their own opinion but one opinion just goes on and on and on with no proof it's really worthless.
This is nothing new for NVIDIA. This is been their ammo for a long time. They always refresh using less than ideal silicon.
AMD does it as well.
The market right now is just forcing that a little quicker maybe.

My proof of what? That Nvidia used its higher brand names on its lower tier chips than usual this gen (with narrower memory busses and less than expected CUs), or that Nvidia also raised prices for those brand names?
Did you miss the part where Nvidia tried to brand two completely different dies with massive differences in specs and performance as "RTX 4080"?

Otherwise, if you think that opinions can have proof, then your time would be much better spent looking up the literal definition to the word "opinion".

Reactions: PEnns and helper800