I put together a very simple build as follows:

Ryzen 3 2200G
Asus - PRIME B450M-A/CSM Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard
G.Skill - Aegis 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666
Crucial - MX500 1TB M.2-2280 Solid State Driven
Thermaltake - Versa H17 MicroATX Mini Tower Case
Corsair - CXM (2015) 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply
2 x ARCTIC F12 PWM - 120 mm PWM PST Case Fans

I removed the rear fan that came with the Thermaltake case and used a 120mm Arctic F12 instead. I also placed another Artic F12 at the front of the case to draw air in.

I have the two case fans set to PWM in the BIOS and all three fans set to quiet mode. No overclocking, no gaming. Just simple everyday web browsing use.

The issue is that I find the CPU fan to be kind of loud. I hear it surging as it approaches around 1600 RPM or so. The case fans seem to stay pretty stable at 1000 RPM.

It looks like I can manually alter the CPU fan profile in in Q-Fan in the BIOS, but I don't know if that's a good idea?

I installed the CPU cooler using the pre-applied thermal paste...at least I'm fairly certain there was pre-applied paste.

Any suggestions? This is as plain Jane a build as you can get. It really should be generating much heat.

Should I remove the cooler and reinstall with new paste?

Should I run a manual CPU fan profile setting a higher temperature before the fan speed increase?

Or should I try a different CPU cooler?

Thanks.

asoroka

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009
You can change the CPU cooler profile in BIOS. Set it to silent to see if it meets your expectations.

If not then set a manual profile.

If yo still find it too noisy, then get a better (quieter cooler) eg Noctua

TipsyMcStagger

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2009

Thanks. I already have all three fans set to quiet...or silent (I can't recall the exact term used in the BIOS).

So a Noctua cooler will run quieter than the stock Ryzen cooler? I have no experience with this stuff so I have no basis for comparison. This is the first machine I've built in 10 years.

Thanks.

asoroka

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009
Yes I would look at something like the NH-U14S, This is much more than your CPU needs, but you can run the fan at 300 - 600 RPM, almost silent.

I would also replace your case fans with just the one rear fan possibly a Noctua NF-A12x15.

I use these in my home computers.

You can look at any other good quality fan and cooler, just look at noise ratings in the reviews.
https://www.tomshardware.com/t/cooling/

TipsyMcStagger

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2009
Okay. Thanks for the info.

Why do you suggest removing the front fan? It doesn't seem to be noticeably loud. I figured the additional airflow would be beneficial.

The Arctic F12 fans are no good?

asoroka

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009
I'm not saying that the Arctic Fans are bad, I just find the Noctua quieter. See how you go after you fix your CPU cooler.

If you have a CPU fan and rear case fan working together then because you have a low power system you don't need the extra case fan.

It's not a bad idea and if the noise doesn't bother you then leave it. Its just comes down to the extra noise and whether it is worth it in terms of cooling.

TipsyMcStagger

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2009
I'm fairly certain the noise that's bothering me is the CPU fan. I hear it fluctuating constantly. In the current profile, it's running around 1700 rpm with a CPU temp of 44C.

I looked at the coolers you suggested and some others. Height seems to be a limiting factor for me. According to the specs for this case, I can't go with anything taller than 155mm.

asoroka

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009
Ok that is going to limit your choices. You then look at low profile which come with high speed fans.

Look at a new case if you are serious about noise reduction.

TipsyMcStagger

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2009

I installed a Noctua NH-L9a-AM4.

It's a huge improvement/reduction in noise. Pretty much silent most of the time.